Help! Trip Ideas for AR, OK, TX...

By CLougheed
Feb 6, 2014
I'm hoping to take a quick weekend trip in a few weeks (Feb14-16) - camping and bouldering. I live in East Texas and don't want to drive more than 3 or 4 hours so am limiting myself to Southeast Oklahoma, Southwest Arkansas, or Northeast Texas. I am really new to climbing, so I'm not looking for uber-difficult routes. Any suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks.

By EvJohnson
Feb 6, 2014
Enchanted rock is probably your best bet. Good bouldering and stellar camping but try to get there early Friday afternoon for a good camping spot.

By Eric Klammer
From Boulder, CO
Feb 6, 2014
Heading up the best pitches of the route. Perfect ...
I don't know much about Texas, but Horseshoe Canyon Ranch in AR is probably a good bet for some fun sport climbing. The Wichita Wildlife Refuge in OK won't have much easy sport, but offers quite a few amazing trad moderates in a beautiful setting with great camping nearby. Have fun!

By Doug Meneke
Feb 6, 2014
For you...Mineral Wells State Park northwest of Ft. Worth. It's mostly short toproping and bouldering. Enchanted Rock in Fredricksburg (100 miles west of Austin) is my favorite place, but it's a long 5-6+ hour drive (worth it). Campsites are scarce, but you can stay at LadyBird Johnson (city park) just south of Fredricksburg on 16, by the airport.

By adampeters
From Golden, Colorado
Feb 6, 2014
lucasmarshall.com  snakewrangler
Get this guidebook. Also look at Robber's Roost in SE OK. Wichitas are probably too far for you, but be thinking about that place for a little longer of a weekend.

I you live in East Texas, you need this.
I you live in East Texas, you need this.

By C. Archibald
Feb 6, 2014
Me on some bolted 10 in boulder canyon
Horseshoe in AR is great for new climbers. Tons of bolted routes, all very safe.

By Stickygreens
Feb 6, 2014
Check out Fern in Arkansas lots of easy sport routes and you don't have to pay to play like Horseshoe CR.CaveCreek is another good option if your car has enough clearance my Subaru can make it fine.

By CLougheed
Feb 6, 2014
Thanks so much for the suggestions! Too bad Im so indecisive. I live in Mount Pleasant, Texas so central TX is a lil further than I want to go. I've been to Enchanted Rock though and I absolutely enjoyed it. If I wasn't getting off work so late I wold probably be going there. I want to avoid paying for climbing if at all possible, saving up for a cross-country move.