Help Plan My First Trip to CO

By Eero46
Feb 15, 2013

Hey I am reaching out the MP community to help develop a great first trip! I will in Golden from March 15-19. I would really like my days to be filled with awesome experiences. While around Golden I would like to do some bouldering in RMNP, hike a 14er (prefer a less traveled one), do another day hike, and boulder at a really beautiful spot. I am willing to drive a little to reach locations. Just staying in Golden because i can for free. Please help me with ideas!

Note I have posted this in other forums with hopes of attracting some replies.

By JJNS
Feb 15, 2013

Not an expert on RMNP bouldering but I would guess that most areas will still be buried in snow through april.

Three Sister's in Evergreen is good for bouldering. There are also some great problems in Clear Creek.

Horsetooth Reservoir might be fun to check out.

By Travis Merrill
Feb 15, 2013
Me Starting Montazuma's Tower

Also I don't think any 14ers will be clear, unless you are planning on skinning in or snowshoeing most the way. March can be one of the snowiest months in the Colorado high country. Depends on the year.

Not to say you shouldn't go but be ready with some good knowledge of avalanche danger and go with someone who also knows their stuff.

By Aaron Bugh
From Bozeman, MT
Feb 15, 2013
Me

If you are in Golden go to Clear Creek Canyon, but honestly it;'s worth the 20min drive over to Eldorado!!!!!!!!

By Eero46
Feb 15, 2013

So it looks like climbing a 14er is off the chart because I do not have experience that prepares me for climbing at that time of year.

I need some help narrowing down all my awesome choices:
1.) What would be a great hike to hike around a base of a 14er that time of year.
2.) What are some awesome bouldering locations with great scenery? My girlfriend is a photographer and would like to do some work while I boulder nearby.

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Feb 15, 2013

Bouldering in the Flatirons, Flagstaff Mt., Eldorado Canyon SP, and maybe Garden of the Gods (Colorado Springs, ~1 1/4 h) are all quite scenic. Some of these boulders you have seen probably in various climbing publications.

You can hike around the base of Pike's Peak relatively easily, since Colorado Springs (6.5K) is at the base. Many of the other close 14'ers will still have a decent amount of snow near their bases. Hiking around Long's Peak (RMNP) will be picturesque but cold and snowy. Mt. Evans isn't too far, but the road past Echo Lake (10.5K) will be closed. Hiking around Mt. Lincoln, Bross, and Democrat, Gray's, and Torrey will be snowy. Other peaks are further afield.

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Feb 15, 2013
Dreamweaver

There is a surprising number of beautiful and picturesque mountains in Colorado below 14,000 feet. Go to RMNP and hike to Black Lake, Sky Pond or do the Flattop trail. All of these will probably require snow shoes but those are easy to rent in Golden/Boulder/Estes.

The Indian Peaks are another option. Park at the Brainard Lake road closure and hike back to Lake Elizabeth.It's purdy and an easy 8 miles round trip. It's purdy there.

Plenty of good bouldering up here in Fort Collins at Horsetooth Res.

By RyanO
From sunshine
Feb 15, 2013

Don't forget to spend an evening (or two) at some of the wonderful colorado hotsprings!

By Woodchuck ATC
Feb 15, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

I'm sorry if I come across as crude, but geez, if you need MP to plan your trip, maybe you aren't ready for a Colorado road trip. Check out the online CO pages here to start. Get yourself an old fashioned Road Atlas and pore over every inch of it looking for locations, plotting out the route to take and days to spend. That's half the fun of a trip is the personal planning part I think....I'd never leave it to someone else to tell me where to go climb.

By JJNS
Feb 16, 2013

This is probably one of the easiest winter/spring 14ers

www.14ers.com/routemain.php?route=quan1&peak=Quandary+Peak

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Feb 16, 2013
Bocan

Woodchuck ATC wrote:

It's how things are now.."tell me what rack / clothes / rope to buy". The irony in that is information on any subject is more available now than ever in history. I grew up having to go to the library to find things out, now you have a million libraries in your living room.

Personally I love researching stuff and before I even come on here with a question you can bet I've spent a few weeks looking into whatever the topic is.

Anyways to the OP...you can pretty much step out of your car and have a thousand things to do here. It should be super easy to figure out even on the fly.

By Spencer Purvis
From Golden, CO.
Feb 16, 2013
slackline at the AAC Climber's Ranch

Check out the Millenium boulder at Matthew Winters park. Its a beautiful approach on the outskirts of Red Rocks and hosts some fantastic and stout problems.

By Mark Wyss
From Denver, CO
Feb 16, 2013
Mt. Baker

There is a network of trails near Golden on Green Mtn. One is a 6.5 mile loop that will take you to the top. I have been out there to run before and it is nice. Pretty good views for a suburban trail. Check out the links for a map. I'm sure you can find a better one when you get out here but this will give you a start.
www.everytrail.com/guide/green-mountain-a-k-a-william-f-hayd>>>
www.everytrail.com/guide/green-mountain-a-k-a-william-f-hayd>>>

By coppolillo
Feb 16, 2013

Yo man, hope the trip is good...

Quandry could go if we continue to have a dry winter...but it's started snowing again, so who knows? Check conditions the week before you come.

Bouldering in Morrison is pretty cool--good moderate stuff, too. Close to Golden, 10-15 minutes. I'd recommend doing routes in Eldo, though--way more scenic, historic routes, the works....Horsetooth will be good bouldering that time of year, but it's a hike up there--1 hr in the car if you go back roads, longer if you go out and around on the highway.

RMNP will probably/hopefully be snowy in March! Snowshoe trails are packed, though, so you could rally up the Flattop trail and get great views of Hallets...

Free soloing the Third Flatiron would be a good one, too. Just make sure you are dialed for the descent (rap or downclimb)....

Good luck, enjoy your time here.

By willeslinger
From Golden, Colorado
Feb 16, 2013
I was pretty bummed when they didn't greenlight my "Bourne Identity" style reboot of The Eiger Sanction. This was from the rough draft's first act.

Check your email. Just sent you some info.

By Eero46
Feb 16, 2013

Sorry I have upset people for asking questions. I have been climbing for 6 years now and have a built a pretty climbing background, but due to school not much time has been spent in CO. I figure people on here love talking about the outdoor and wouldn't mind posted their thoughts.

In the past I have used MP for almost every trip and because of the community my experiences have been made amazing. I think that is why this website was created. Not to become critics.

By Peter Beal
From Boulder Colorado
Feb 17, 2013

Regarding bouldering, there is quite a lot at lower elevations from Golden to as far north as Poudre Canyon. Depending on the snow some of the lower areas in the mountains may be feasible but I doubt it up higher, above 9000 feet, though I have climbed at Chaos Canyon in March. You need local knowledge and snowshoes for that. Get the Sharp End guide to Colorado bouldering for some ideas. It's definitely worth heading up to the Park regardless and looking around as it is one of the most beautiful places in the country if not the world.

stores.sharpendbooks.com/-strse-11/Colorado-Bouldering-cln-->>>

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Feb 17, 2013

A minor thing, Eero46, don't do the 3rd Flatiron during your trip. It could be pretty costly, as it will be closed for raptors.

By seth0687
From Fort Collins
Feb 18, 2013
Leading the first ice pitch of the NW Gully-Thatchtop

Shoot me an email bud! I'll get out with ya. Depending on snow we could totally do a 14er in march. If weather is good there's 10 billion days worth of climbing on this state.

Best of luck

Seth

By DSnider
Feb 18, 2013

Carter Lake bouldering is usually fun that time of year. Castlewood Canyon isn't too far and has some fun bouldering. Also, for scenery Lumpy Ridge in Estes can offer some great views and good bouldering. Enjoy and good luck.

By Greg Kimble
From Colorado
Feb 27, 2013

As a few have said, RMNP will be pretty snowy but also there are limited problems under about V4 with the majority of them above V7 and a huge number double digit sends. Not sure how hard you are crushing but I'd say if you and your lady don't send V5 or so regularly you're time might be better spent other places.

The mathews-winters area near red rocks has some good stuff. Morrison usually dries out pretty quick. Eldorado canyon and horsetooth res have a good variety of ratings and some sherman and gill test pieces. Clear creek has some good photo ops.

I'd recommend picking up 'Colorado Bouldering: Front Range' by Benningfield and Samet put out by sharp end publishing. Its about 30$ but worth it. It's got good descriptions and great pics. Look for anything south or west facing and depending on how much snow we get you should still be able to get out and send some stuff.
Colorado bouldering