help me make something to do pull ups on my ice tools

By JBaker
From Belmont, MA
summit of Mt. Washington, NH

The ice sucks this year in New England and the season is going to be over WAY to soon. However, I want to continue to increase my grip and pull strength with my tools, so I started poking around on my back deck (2nd floor of a three story building) and found this...

support beam of the deck above
support beam of the deck above

It is the support beam of the deck above me. I want to rig something (on the cheap, preferably from Home Depot) that hangs down a bit and that I can do pull ups off of. I also can't damage the beam since this is an apartment and I don't want the neighbors deck on my head. It is also to high to reach to just hook the beam.

Chains? Might damage my picks tho...

Other ideas???

By alpinejason
From Eau Claire
Feb 23, 2012

i use cord with a biner in the end that i can clip into the head of the tool. put a couple butterfly knots along the length to do offset hangs.

By "H"
From Manitou Springs
Axes glistening in the sun

I use an exposed I beam in my basement and my old grivel ice tools. Don't know if you have access to that. Maybe you could screw a 2x4 parallel to those beams, leaving some space so you could slide your picks in and start pumping them out.

By "H"
From Manitou Springs
Axes glistening in the sun

alpinejason wrote:

I may have to switch mine up. Good idea.

By JBaker
From Belmont, MA
summit of Mt. Washington, NH

love the biner idea because it sounds simple AND cheap AND effective, but how is the pull on the tool? does it feel natural like being on the tip of the pick?

By Gunkiemike

JBaker wrote:

I hook my tools alternately over the top edge of the plywood of my woodie, and then pick tips on a campus-type rail. There's really no difference in how it feels.

By Grant Kleeves
From Montrose CO
Feb 23, 2012

Chains work great for training on ice tools. A couple fairly long chains and you can figure four between them or campus up for a way harder workout than just pullups. If you get smaller chains an occasional quicklink makes it easier to hook when you're really pumped and going for one more lap.

By JBaker
From Belmont, MA
summit of Mt. Washington, NH

what do the chains do to the picks?

By Grant Kleeves
From Montrose CO
Feb 23, 2012

I haven't been able to find any damage on my BD Laser or Fusion picks. I haven't tried my Nomics but possibly the small teeth towards the front could get dulled if the chain isn't big enough to hook further back on the stouter teeth?

By mongoose
Feb 23, 2012

couldn't you just get a bucket to stand on so you can reach the beam and just hook it.

By APBT1976
Black Dike 12/25/11

I also live just outside Boston and am thinking the same thing with the quality of the ice these past couple weeks.. To this point i just hook the top of a beam just like the one on your porch with my tools and it works fine.

I am thinking of building the whole multi wall/ceiling setup in the next month or two but my guess is the $$$$ is gonna add up quick.

To be honest hooking the bean works just fine for dead hangs so forth and so on.

Get a right angle drill and put a thin piece of old plywood on the top edge of that beam on your porch so you don't chew it up with your pick s and you should be good to go able to remove it no problem with no scars when you move out as the screw holes will be in the top of the beam outa sight.

By Steve M
From MN
Feb 23, 2012

This is my setup in the basement. Instead of bolts all the way throgh there are also screw in eye-bolts that will to the job. Mix sawdust, glue,and little paint to fill the holes before you move out.

axes <br />
axes

axes
axes

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
OMG, I winz!!!

I've got chains as well in the roof of my woodie. I need to get some pictures uploaded but they work great to fig 4/9 between them.

By JBaker
From Belmont, MA
Feb 24, 2012
summit of Mt. Washington, NH

all awesome ideas. i'm gonna play around with it today.

APBT where are in Boston? let me know if you need a hand with the construction. sounds pretty sweet.

By APBT1976
Feb 24, 2012
Black Dike 12/25/11

JBaker wrote:
all awesome ideas. i'm gonna play around with it today. APBT where are in Boston? let me know if you need a hand with the contruction. sounds pretty sweet.

Not Boston but to a non Bostonian it is pretty much,"Natick".

Ehy the Marathon runs through town kid it must be Bahston right guy...

Gonna be a few weeks as i still have ice to climb, you climb rock also?

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Feb 26, 2012
OMG, I winz!!!

Here are a few photos from my woody. The chains work great. I backed the eyebolts through a tnut and with a fender washer on both sides, super solid now. A quicklink is easier to get the tools out of than the chain so you can mix up the effort level and it allows for some tool rotation so as not to torque on the eyebolt all the time.

Chad in the roof
Chad in the roof

Aaron on the wall
Aaron on the wall

Aaron getting strong!
Aaron getting strong!

By fat cow
From Salinas, CA
Feb 26, 2012
perfect seam

mongoose wrote:

+1 to this. and if you're really worried about the beams getting marred staple a thin peice of slat board to the top of it so you can put the wear on those. hanging on a beam with tools doesn't need to incorporate anything complex at all.

By rgold
From Poughkeepsie, NY
Feb 26, 2012
The traverse out to the Yellow Ridge on the Dogstick Ridge link-up.  Photo by Myriam Bouchard

Check out