Heat shrink tube for rope end?

By Bang
From Charlottesville, VA
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks Hank Caylor!

Hi, I notice the most climbing ropes in the store do not have the rope end protection. Some brands make this kind of heat shrink tube to protect the rope end

www.wesspur.com/rope/tools.html?ck=gIp0Xvx5Acrtv7eV&vid=gIp0>>>

Have any one used this before?

By BirdDog
From Seattle, WA
Jun 24, 2011
Mt. Baker

the site you reference is tree climbing/rigging site - way different from mountain climbing. heat shrink tubing is pretty stiff - might get caught in an anchor or something else when pulling a rap rope. i would not use it for climbing.

By Bang
From Charlottesville, VA
Jun 24, 2011
Thanks Hank Caylor!

Interstingly, on Maxim glider rope, they have some kind of plastic tube cap to cover the rope ends. I am sure that is not heat shrink tube, but not sure what's that for.

By caughtinside
From Oakland CA
Jun 24, 2011

those plastic end caps on ropes suck... the perfect hard chunk of plastic to get stuck in a crack while pulling a rap.

By Ty Harlacker
From Albuquerque, NM
Jun 24, 2011
Silverton

If the core is exposed through the end of your rope you can try melting it. Just put some climbing tape around a fresh piece of your rope an inch or so above the fray. Then cut the rope in the middle of the tape. Heat the end of the rope with a lighter til it melts. Let cool then remove the tape. If done correctly it works really well.

By NickinCO
From colorado
Jun 25, 2011
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

I have it on one of my ropes, it's only about an inch on each end.

By Mark Cushman
From Cumming, GA
Jun 25, 2011
Profiley Styley

I've used electrical heat-shrink tubing on the end of my ropes for a while. It matches almost exactly with the factory finishing (on my Maxim ropes). If you put the tubing on the rope FIRST, and then "peen" the end of the rope so it mushrooms a bit, you can slide the tubing down to the end and the mushroom on the end of the rope will keep it in place as you shrink it down. Pic below. As for it getting stuck, this doesn't get any more stuck than a factory end.

Finished ends of an 8mm New England double rope.
Finished ends of an 8mm New England double rope.

By Jesse Davidson
From san diego, ca
Jun 25, 2011
n cascades <br />

What's the benefit? Seems like a solution in search of a problem, to me.