Hallet Peak Route Expert

By Greg D
From Here
Jul 4, 2014
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

Looking for someone that knows Hallet well enough to tell me what we climbed the other day. In the photo, I believe I labeled the know routes properly. If this is correct, we climber Hesse Ferguson to In Between. Then, after exiting the large right facing dihedral to the left, we belayed at some fixed slings on a small stance. Then, it appears that In Between traverses right over the roof about 50 ft to the large, green right facing dihedral. Instead, we climbed more or less straight up through steep rock with a bit of a bulge continuing through run out, sustained face climbing perhaps 9+ or 10- for 70 feet and continuing all the way to the big grassy ledge mid way up Hallets for a 200 foot pitch. It is marked in yellow. This was great and exciting climbing. I'm just curious.

WTF on Hallets
WTF on Hallets

By Greg D
From Here
Jul 4, 2014
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

On the unknown pitch.  Hesse Ferguson roof to the left, In between traverses right. down low,
On the unknown pitch. Hesse Ferguson roof to the left, In between traverses right. down low,

By Gregger Man
Jul 4, 2014
gg

I did that pitch a few years ago thinking I was on the Second Buttress Tour. I did the appropriate corresponding pitch last Saturday. The correct dihedral is one to climber's left. Not sure what that move goes at, but it felt a lot harder than the 5.9 P3 I was expecting...

[edit] Upon closer inspection, you are talking about the face above the rightward traverse that is P3 of the Second Buttress Tour. I haven't done that pitch.

By Greg D
From Here
Jul 4, 2014
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

Thanks Gregger. But, the dihedral to the left is the big roof of Hesse Ferguson I believe. Are you referring to the correct dihedral for the Second Buttress Tour?

By Greg D
From Here
Jul 4, 2014
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

Gregger Man wrote:

That is correct assuming the P3 of the Second Buttress Tour is the same as the traverse of In Between. It appeared quite untraveled.

By Gregger Man
Jul 4, 2014
gg

If you look at the yellow topo line on 'In Between' where it jogs left, up, then right - I had gone right and straight up. I noticed a red bail sling last Saturday in the middle of that bulge move over a fractured roof. My partner thought it was about .12 - I ended up C1-ing it.

By Greg D
From Here
Jul 4, 2014
Out of the blue.  Photo by Mike W. <br />

Sounds like we were in the same area. We climbed the right edge of the bulge in the close up photo above. Not 12, but maybe 10-.

This was a very direct line up the lower half of the wall that deposited us right at the upper part of Culp-Bossier. If we continued up Culp-Bossier, this would have been a great direct 1000+ feet of climbing. Instead we traversed left 100 ft on the big ledge and found our way eventually to the upper Love Route roof. Great day nonetheless.