Ha Long Bay, Vietnam

By christopher kennedy
Apr 13, 2014

Anyone have any idea how easy it is to find places to stay, and climb without using a guiding
company. We will be a two climbers arriving May 28 and willing to meet up with other climbers.

By Tom Fralich
From Fort Collins, CO
Apr 14, 2014

We stayed at a hotel in Cat Ba and paid $10/night for a pretty nice room with a view of the bay. You can get something very cheap if you stay at a hotel off the waterfront. There's a guideshop on the main street with good info on climbing. It's really easy to hire a boat to take you around for the day. We didn't encounter many other climbers.

By christopher kennedy
Apr 14, 2014

Thanks for the reply Tom. That is really helpful.

By francis6
From Denver, Colorado
Apr 21, 2014

Hey Chris. I'm going to be arriving in Hanoi on May 19 and will be in the area looking for partners or someone to share a boat with. Maybe we can connect.

By JKennedy
From Jackson, Wy
Apr 21, 2014
Grand

The gear shop in cat ba is called slo pony. They take deep water soloing trips out in boats with varying prices depending on how many people you get on the boat. There is also some climbing a short drive away if you rent a scooter. You can find info on these spots if you check out the book for the area. Have a fun trip !

By christopher kennedy
Apr 23, 2014

J, thanks for the info.

Francis, it would be good to meet up and do some climbing together and rent a boat.

By francis6
From Denver, Colorado
May 21, 2014

Chris, My sister and I are in Hanoi now. I'm managed to bring a 60 and 12 draws, which could come in handy for cat ba.

Itchin to sample the limestone out here. Let me know if you still want to meet up!

Francis

By Morgan Patterson
May 21, 2014
Stoked...

Contact these guys: www.asiaoutdoors.com.vn/

By Mimi Huang
From Chapel Hill, NC
May 27, 2014

My friend and I will be in Cat Ba starting either June 1st or 2nd for around a week. hopefully it won't be too rainy...anyways, let me know if anyone wants to meet up or share a boat during that time!