Gym Partner, Duluth MN

By Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Oct 7, 2008
Smile for the camera.  Me topping out of Pice of Cake, Taylors Falls MN <br />

Well it's getting cool outside and that can only mean it's time to think about heading indoors, at least until the ice forms!

I'm looking for a gym partner for the Duluth, MN area. I've been climbing for five years with decent leading experience. I have a membership at the Duluth VE so if you're interested let me know.

Chad

By Peter Dodge
From Duluth, MN
Oct 7, 2008

I'm a freshman at UMD. I've been climbing for about 5 years as well. I head down to VE probably 2 or 3 times a week. I'm sure we'll catch up some time. I can really only climb later at night. My email is dodg0078@d.umn.edu. Let me know if you ever need a belay partner.

By Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Oct 7, 2008
Smile for the camera.  Me topping out of Pice of Cake, Taylors Falls MN <br />

Hey Peter, thanks for the offer!

How late at night do you climb at VE? Typically I'm in the gym Mondays and Thursdays from 5:30pm-7:30pm.

If our schedules work out I'd defiantly share a rope with you.

Chad

By chris deulen
From Merriam, Kansas
Oct 8, 2008
Think it'll go?

KETTLEBELLS! Michigan and 2nd east in the basement under the tattoo shop, if you really want to get strong...

By Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Oct 8, 2008
Smile for the camera.  Me topping out of Pice of Cake, Taylors Falls MN <br />

Thanks for the suggestion but I'll stick with my own program of free weights. Besides, I'd rather climb.

Now if you want to get good technique you can always come down to VE and climb. . .

By Justin Edberg
From duluth mn
Oct 22, 2008

just so you know the kettlebells are much better than free weights, and there is a climbing wall there to build technique.

By Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Oct 22, 2008
Smile for the camera.  Me topping out of Pice of Cake, Taylors Falls MN <br />

Thanks for the input Justin,

I still think I'll stay with the free weights as my program is based around overall muscle balance and injury prevention as it relates to my diabetes. I do not strength train for gains as they relate to climbing or weight lifting.

On a side note I would be rather hesitant to say that one form of strength training is 'better' than another. Many factors come into play when dealing with strength training, let alone sports specific strength training. It is not possible to how a particular person is affected by these factors and thus how affective a particular form of strength training will be.

By chris deulen
From Merriam, Kansas
Oct 22, 2008
Think it'll go?

I don't know Chad, I think you should give kettle bells a chance before you jump to conclusions. I think the balance it provides would be far and away better than any you might get with weights. You also might find it will make you stronger and better equipped to deal with anything your diabetes might bring up.

By Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Oct 22, 2008
Smile for the camera.  Me topping out of Pice of Cake, Taylors Falls MN <br />

I'm not jumping to conclusions; I am simply stating that there are many factors to consider when creating a strength training program (personal goals, physical ability, prior injury, medical conditions, ect.). It is not possible to simply state that one form of strength training is better for all people. Just so you know I have tried kettle bells and they do nothing for what I'm lifting for.

The issues I alluded to regarding diabetes and my strength training are related to the fact that diabetics are three times more likely to suffer from tendonitis, tendonosis, and other soft tissue damage. Diabetics also heal slower than normal.

This being said I use free weights and cable machines to strengthen and balance muscles and tendons that are generally ignored when climbing and backpacking. Not only does my training strengthens these antagonistic muscle and tendons to but it is also designed strengthen areas prone to overuse injuries. By using the free weight program I mentioned I am able to actively help prevent these strength imbalances and overuse injuries and the soft tissue damage that they cause.

Also, no form of strength training will make you better equipped to deal with anything your diabetes might bring up. Managing diabetes in a active adult requires attention to blood glucose levels, insulin levels, blood pressure, cholesterol, proper nutrition, cardiovascular exercise, sufficient rest, and staying educated on the disease and its treatment options. While regular strength training is beneficial for overall health and physical fitness it does not affect diabetes in the sense that the stronger you are the better your diabetes will managed. In fact the opposite is true but I won’t go into that here.

I do understand that you may be implying that by using kettle bells I will be better equipped mentally to deal with my diabetes. Personally I think that my 20 plus years superbly managing my diabetes combined with my 10 years of strength training, 5 years of solo long distance backpacking and four climbing have given me the mental stamina to handle it.

Thank you for your concern though. At the very least I will have to swing by the kettle bell gym and see bouldering wall. Who knows, I may do a few exercises with the bell.