Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Gun nuts....
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 2 of 3.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
Mar 4, 2011
standing on the summit
I own a Mossberg 12 pump, a 1943 Mosin Nagant, a Ruger 10/22, a "crickett" .22 for my son and a Sprinfield XD .45

I have never hunted, but hope to one day. I spend most of my range time in the mountains, because I can't find anywhere to shoot for free near Denver.

I enjoy scenario based shooting drills with my pistol and am considering joining a legue or club to find others to shoot with. Any of you guys belong to the IDPA?
Ryan Tuleja
Joined Oct 20, 2005
19 points
Mar 4, 2011
done a little 3-gun, but the ammo use became too expensive.

buying rabbits this weekend. ammo's in storage.
Cpt. E
Joined Dec 22, 2006
106 points
Mar 4, 2011
rockerwaves
I support the right to own and arm bears! Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Joined Mar 16, 2007
4,261 points
Mar 4, 2011
Top half of Melifluous
I shoot IDPA with a Springfield 1911. I really enjoy it. Gonna start shooting my Glock 23 in matches when I can get back into it. Just moved to a new state. Sam Stephens
Joined Jan 20, 2010
768 points
Mar 4, 2011
Hanging out waiting for Die Antwoord to come on st...
Trooper Mark III, just once in a while at the range to make sure I don't lose my skills. Alicia Sokolowski
From Brooklyn, NY
Joined Aug 11, 2010
420 points
Mar 4, 2011
Bastille Crack Final Pitch
Just bought my first gun today: Savage 111FCXP3 in 30-06. Very excited for Elk Season. John Maguire
From Boulder, CO
Joined Nov 23, 2008
212 points
Mar 4, 2011
Axes glistening in the sun
Wow! I thought this was going to be another rant against people who own firearms.
I shoot down in Canon City near Shelf. Not much fun for distance shooting max about 100yds.
I have my Glock 27, Remington Heavy Barrel 308 Model P, 7mm Win Mag, 2 of my dad's ole 22's, 1 CQB shotgun, and one hunting shotgun. Sold off my AR a couple of years ago to get some climbing gear. Wish I still had it!!!!!
"H"
From Manitou Springs
Joined Feb 13, 2006
59 points
Mar 9, 2011
Me too!
Anyone here reload? I am trying to sell 7 lbs. of Varget. PM me! J. Fox
From Black Hawk, CO
Joined Mar 29, 2007
1,525 points
 
Mar 10, 2011
rockerwaves
Buc Taylor,"Take me to the valley, Now!"...
Buc Taylor,"Take me to the valley, Now!"
Photo: Olaf Mitchell
Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Joined Mar 16, 2007
4,261 points
Mar 10, 2011
Four Sheets
I carry a Glock 27 as my concealed and that's the only one that ever gets touched. The 25.06, .44mag lever action rifle, and 20 ga. haven't been touched in years since I don't hunt any more. Living in a rural area of WV, the world is my shooting range... Brett Jarrett
From Milton, WV
Joined Feb 15, 2011
66 points
Mar 10, 2011
Alright I'm going to change the topic a little here but it's still about guns. Recently I've started thinking about carrying around a little pistol for hunting purposes during my climbing/hiking trips. This way I can just shoot a squirrel or smth for dinner instead of having rice and beans (or maybe squirrel + rice and beans hmmmm).

Have any of you done this? Is it worth it, both weight and hassle? Other than various hunting restrictions are there any major drawbacks to this strategy?
Matthew Carlson
Joined Jul 3, 2009
3 points
Mar 10, 2011
Me
Matthew Carlson wrote:
Alright I'm going to change the topic a little here but it's still about guns. Recently I've started thinking about carrying around a little pistol for hunting purposes during my climbing/hiking trips. This way I can just shoot a squirrel or smth for dinner instead of having rice and beans (or maybe squirrel + rice and beans hmmmm). Have any of you done this? Is it worth it, both weight and hassle? Other than various hunting restrictions are there any major drawbacks to this strategy?


.22 auto rimfire pistol. Best grouse gun there is, just get one with relatively nice sights so you can just pop their heads off. Quiet, light, fun. On another topic, does anyone have either a:

Browning High Power 9mm

or

Model 94 (or Marlin 1894)carbine in .357Mag or .45 long colt

that they would like to get rid of?
joshf
From missoula, mt
Joined Oct 25, 2007
982 points
Mar 10, 2011
Four Sheets
Matthew Carlson wrote:
Alright I'm going to change the topic a little here but it's still about guns. Recently I've started thinking about carrying around a little pistol for hunting purposes during my climbing/hiking trips. This way I can just shoot a squirrel or smth for dinner instead of having rice and beans (or maybe squirrel + rice and beans hmmmm). Have any of you done this? Is it worth it, both weight and hassle? Other than various hunting restrictions are there any major drawbacks to this strategy?

.22mag would probably be your best bet, but as with hunting ANYTHING with a pistol, you've got to be a pretty damn good shot. Keep in mind the longer the barrel, the more accurate the pistol. A .22mag shot shell is another option for small game since its basically point-n-shoot, however thats not always a lethal first shot and would cause some extra hassle removing the shot before eating.

Also, be sure to thoroughly research any laws regarding hunting seasons, concealed carry and area restrictions.
Brett Jarrett
From Milton, WV
Joined Feb 15, 2011
66 points
Mar 10, 2011
Me
Brett Jarrett wrote:
I carry a Glock 27 as my concealed and that's the only one that ever gets touched. The 25.06, .44mag lever action rifle, and 20 ga. haven't been touched in years since I don't hunt any more. Living in a rural area of WV, the world is my shooting range...



Whats kind of 25-06? That's a great bullet, wish I had one.
joshf
From missoula, mt
Joined Oct 25, 2007
982 points
Mar 10, 2011
Me
Brett Jarrett wrote:
.22mag would probably be your best bet, but as with hunting ANYTHING with a pistol, you've got to be a pretty damn good shot. Keep in mind the longer the barrel, the more accurate the pistol. A .22mag shot shell is another option for small game since its basically point-n-shoot, however thats not always a lethal first shot and would cause some extra hassle removing the shot before eating. Also, be sure to thoroughly research any laws regarding hunting seasons, concealed carry and area restrictions.


I used .357 shot shells for a grouse once...it was so loud (no ear plugs) I thought I was going to puke. Personally, I like the .22 auto...the bullet usually goes through with minimal damage to the meat, and if your ground sluicing, you want to aim for the head anyway.
joshf
From missoula, mt
Joined Oct 25, 2007
982 points
Mar 10, 2011
Four Sheets
joshf wrote:
Whats kind of 25-06? That's a great bullet, wish I had one.

Remington 700, and my dad has a Ruger bolt-action... he swears by the 25-06 and he's probably one of the most serious deer hunters I've ever met in my life lol.
Brett Jarrett
From Milton, WV
Joined Feb 15, 2011
66 points
 
Mar 10, 2011
First summit of First Flatiron
Mike Lane wrote:
One of my favorite quotes: "Guns don't kill people...." "I kill people" Makes a great jury duty t-shirt (sorry to my fb buddies for the repetition)


Derek W
Joined Jun 27, 2008
38 points
Mar 10, 2011
speedriding vail pass
When I first opened this thread I thought it'd be about some cool new trad pro I hadn't heard about. Maybe along the lines of this: wedge a gun in a crack with barrel pointing in the direction of a fall, sling the trigger, and dont fall lest you be shot! Good motivation to stay on the rock... Couloirman
From Providence, RI
Joined Jan 31, 2009
28 points
Mar 10, 2011
Long's
Couloirman wrote:
When I first opened this thread I thought it'd be about some cool new trad pro I hadn't heard about. Maybe along the lines of this: wedge a gun in a crack with barrel pointing in the direction of a fall, sling the trigger, and dont fall lest you be shot! Good motivation to stay on the rock...


Well, now there's an idea. The only problem with that is that, if you sling the trigger, you'd have to point the gun upward in order to get it to fire. Maybe what you could do is point it directly at the highest piece of pro, thereby taking a long but likely non-lethal fall, and having a ruined piece of pro as punishment for falling.

OK, I'm probably devoting too many brain cells to that! Rem 700 .30-06 for deer, Browning BPS for waterfowl.
John Korfmacher
From Fort Collins, CO
Joined Jul 13, 2004
188 points
Mar 10, 2011
I grew up on a dairy and constantly had either a shotgun or a .22 with me since I was 12. Used to hunt and shoot quite a bit after that as well but have moved into a city and the family farm has mostly been sold. Haven't gotten out in probably 5 years. Speaking of which, I've got a Colt AR that is way too nice of a gun to be just gathering dust. Pm me for details if you are interested. Seth Eidemiller
Joined Jun 15, 2010
0 points
Mar 10, 2011
"3 gun has always fascinated me...interestingly enough I can't stand the "Ted Nugent" crowd or their paranoia, I just enjoy the technical aspect of ballistics and shooting"

That's me exactly. Brings out my Inner-Nerd. When i get a gun to suddenly start 'opening up' on me, i'm a goner for days or weeks trying to figure out went went wrong, or where the variable is coming from.

drives my wife nuts. thankfully most of them are black, so she can't tell the difference if there's a new addition to the family!
Cpt. E
Joined Dec 22, 2006
106 points
Mar 10, 2011
guardian of owl rock
Go ahead Punk. Make my day
Go ahead Punk. Make my day
ryan dillon
From Tucson, AZ.
Joined Jul 6, 2008
381 points
Mar 11, 2011
rockerwaves
>
Bang Bang !
Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
Joined Mar 16, 2007
4,261 points
Mar 11, 2011
Dey Took Yer Jeb!!!
School/Children Rick Carpenter
From Banner Elk, NC
Joined Aug 29, 2010
288 points
 
Mar 25, 2011
The Machine Maker Roof
The Mrs. and I went to Bishop to climb for 6 months. Carried our G19's, Rem 700 LTR, and CZ452 along for the ride. We joined the Bishop Gun Club (only $25/yr) which made for great rest day fun. Dean Melton
From Banner Elk, NC
Joined Feb 3, 2011
15 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 2 of 3.  <<First   <Prev   1  2  3   Next>   Last>>
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!