Grand Junction CO, your thoughts?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Jun 25, 2014
Smile for the camera.  Me topping out of Pice of Cake, Taylors Falls MN <br />
Hey there everyone,

I am hoping you could give me your opinions on living in Grand Junction Colorado. I'm interviewing with a firm there and have never been to the area or the state for that matter.

How's the climbing for a fat ass like myself that trad leads only .8's?

What's the local culture like?

Backpacking and other outdoor activities?

Rental properties?

Pretty much anything you can tell me about the area would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

By Joe Huggins
From Grand Junction
Jun 25, 2014
mmmm....tree
Just moved here from the Boulder area for work in April.Not a bad place.Rents are lower,traffic is casual. Rifle is an hour away. Unaweep Canyon has lots of climbing. Moab is an hour and a half. Colorado National Monument is cool.Lots of mountain biking,rafting. The town itself seems to be experiencing a very low key culture war-the somewhat redneck old guard is being challenged by the influx of outdoor sports oriented (perhaps more progressive?)newcomers.There also seems to be a push for tech companies to move here. Except for my "associate" still being in Bouldeyville, I'm feeling pretty good about it.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Jun 25, 2014
El Chorro

By Max Supertramp
Jun 25, 2014

just kidding. let's go climbing Joe?

By Michael Sweeney
Jun 25, 2014
Couldn't have said it better Joe. Lived in Junction all my life. Junction is a awesome town with tons of outdoor opportunities. Just have to deal with the redneck older crowd conflicting with the hippie outdoor crowd. If you need climbing buddies to go slay 5.8s so hard in unaweep let me know.

By Joe Huggins
From Grand Junction
Jun 25, 2014
mmmm....tree
Max Supertramp wrote:
there's currently a terrible influx of effete Boooooouuuuulllllderites but otherwise Grand Junction is pretty great. just kidding. let's go climbing Joe?

effete? This is why I stopped posting on mp. I thought this was obvious. I just moved here, thought I could comment on this without any need for bullshit.What's your real name "Max"?

By asdrubal
From Rifle, CO
Jun 25, 2014
Junktown is the best climbing town in Utah!

By Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Smile for the camera.  Me topping out of Pice of Cake, Taylors Falls MN <br />
Junktown? It that slang for Grand Junction?

By doug rouse
From Denver, CO.
Jun 27, 2014
Living in Grand Junction would be a good bet, as it has easy access to the aforementioned areas, and alpine areas to the East. A very low-key place, and has quality mountaineering shops, and good food too. Unaweep is full of nice sandstone blocks accessable amost year round, and can be driven to in 15 minutes, making it a nice after-work bouldering area.

By Merlin
From Grand Junction
Jun 27, 2014
I live here. The town itself is gross, uncultured, lacking good food, etc.

The property is affordable and the outdoor opportunities within 3 hours are fantastic and are the reasons I moved here.

The people are polite and there is a ton of local ranch raised beef, pig, sheep, dairy, etc. We are in the agricultural belt of CO and there is plenty of fresh produce. There's also a ton of good rafting/kayaking/mountain biking/camping/climbing/hiking/skiing/hunting,etc.

But I must reiterate, if you like city living this place is not for you, you don't move to Junction for Junction, you move here for what's around Junction.

If you get serious about moving here message me and I'd be happy to talk to you in person. If you move here I can show you around a little and point you to where the fun is outdoors.

By Ryan N
From Palo Alto
RJN

By Merlin
From Grand Junction
Chad Miller wrote:
Junktown? It that slang for Grand Junction?

The nickname is "Grand Junkyard"

By Merlin
From Grand Junction
Ryan N wrote:
Junction isn't too bad of a city. The best part is the proximity to the western slope which if your into winter climbing can't be beat in Colorado. Also close to Moab and the creek to name a few. I've tried living there before never had much luck finding work though. The town is much smaller than most and in my opinion is kinda trashy. These reasons wouldn't stop me from living there though. Rentals could be pretty cheap.

The rental market is tighter than you'd think and people here don't bother too much with a lot of the standards when it comes to renting that are enforced in more populated places. It's much better to buy here, you can get 1500 sq ft with a 2 car garage in good condition for 130-170k. 250-300k buys you a very nice house with land.

By Ryan N
From Palo Alto
RJN
Ryan Williams wrote:
You can't sleep in the Walmart parking lot... At least that was the officer's reason for waking me up at 6am. I've spent little bits of time in a lot of different places in Colorado and Junction is on the list of places I could live. The list of places I couldn't is much longer.

Not to detract, but why do cities not allow this anymore when walmart clearly could care less? FWIW, my new trick is to post up in an apartment complex parking lot in a guest space. Been getting away with it in places like Santa Barbra and Monterey to name a few, I'm sure it would work in the junction.

By Merlin
From Grand Junction
Ryan N wrote:

Santa Barbara and Monterey are unlikely to have our transient population. We've got parks taken over by meth addicts that are here until it get's too cold then move on. Junction has a massive drug addict population. Granted, they seem harmless and I've never felt scared but I doubt we'd want to encourage more to come here. Google "Grand Junction & ACLU" we just got famous recently.

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
Jun 27, 2014
Had co-workers who lived there when I was in UT, so I spent a lot of our off weeks (7on/7off schedule) basing out of their house in Junction to hit the climbing/biking/etc.

I'll echo what others said, the surrounding 3-4hr area is mind blowing with high quality outdoor rec opportunities. It pretty much has it all. That's why you move there, not for the amenities or ambiance of the town itself.

Town has a surprising lack of basic culture..like your std ethnic food you can get in almost any city of similar size. Downtown seemed tiny for a town of that population. Definitely had a feel of a lower-income, blue collarish town. Could be way different these days,my experience is from the late 90s/early 00s.

I'd be stoked to live there vs most places in the country.

By Airbiscuit

www.facebook.com/12thstreetgarage

By JustinJD.
From Denver
Jun 27, 2014
I travel to Palisade (15 min east of GJ) quite often and really enjoy it for the little town it is. If you're looking for small town living near the area I would really recommend Palisade or Fruita. In my experience you miss out on some of the traditional GJ problems but still live within easy access to the basic amenities of a regional center. They also distill some kick A$$ bourbon there so that's a plus.

By Dave Cummings
From Grand Junction, CO
me on my redpoint
I have been in CO 10 years and the last 3 in GJ. I have a family and there are a lot of people my age, 30s with kids so that is great. The climbing is amazing and the ability to get to SLC or Denver or anything around them in a few hours is really nice. Moab, Rifle, Ouray all 90 min so there is that! The road and Mtn biking is world class as well.

GJ is also getting a new 14,000 sq ft climbing gym that will open in 2 months
Grand Valley Climbing check it out on FB

If you are looking for nightlife or a ton of culture than GJ isn't going to be the best choice. There are a few really good restaurants in GJ and more are opening all the time. If you like to play in the outdoors, drink good beer, 4 breweries now, and hang with good people, this is Colorado after all, good people everywhere you go then GJ is great. I love it here

By DarrenG
Jun 27, 2014
I've been here a year, and my only complaint is the poor air quality in the winter.

Other than that, I concur with the above observations. I'm planning on staying.

By Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Smile for the camera.  Me topping out of Pice of Cake, Taylors Falls MN <br />
Airbiscuit wrote:
I moved here 12 years ago after being on the road for 12, I saw the potential, and since that time I have watched this town really progress from it's redneck backwater roots to a true recreational paradise. My only wish would be we were a little closer to better skiing, but Powerhorn does get a lot of snow and For the Colorado "B team" it's really pretty good. While still a touch culturally retarded, you cannot beat the two hour circle around this town, East, West, North and South; there are cool destinations in all directions all seasons, and they're close. Bring you Mountain Bike cause the biking here in phenomenal. If you make the move and you are looking for a place one of our renters is moving out on July 26th. www.facebook.com/12thstreetgarage

If I get the job I'd love to rent your place. PM with the rent and particulars!

By Stephen Looney
Jun 28, 2014
fwiw- stayed in the GJ walmart pkg lot for a night last October (2013) with no hassle. maybe because we were in a camper? we were not the only folks camping.

I really like GJ, for the rec. when I retire I'll probably spend some time in the area.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Jun 28, 2014
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
They have a pretty sah-wheat Golden Corral®!!!

By Chad Miller
From Grand Junction, CO
Jun 29, 2014
Smile for the camera.  Me topping out of Pice of Cake, Taylors Falls MN <br />
Grand Junction sounds like a place I would like; great outdoor fun and the cost of living there is similar to where I live now.

Of course with my current luck I won't get the job or they'll offer me $15k below what I make now. ;)

Regardless thank you all for your impute. If I do get to visit the area or get the job I'll be reaching out to many of you. Hopefully you won' mind showing me around a bit.

Again thank you all.

By Chris Schmidt
From Grand Junction
Jun 30, 2014
Anyone know how finding a good job in GJ is? I'm moving there with my gf who has a teaching job and need to find something sooner than later.I have a degree and don't really want to go back to school but would for the right job.

By DavidCollins
From Grand Junction, CO
Jul 1, 2014
Trad at .8 and under? This eliminates nearly all desert routes. You will still have a handful in Unaweep, which has quality granite-like rock and routes with an adventure ambience. Do you lead bolted routes? If so what level? That could add to you route possibilities. It's worth mentioning that there is a slowly increasing number of easier and worthwhile bolted routes at Rifle (1.5hrs).

Traveling from here gets you:

Within about 2hrs: Rifle, Moab, Ouray, Black Canyon, Aspen and tons of other great places nearly no-one seems to know.

Within about 4hrs: Indian Creek, San Juan Mts, Telluride, Durango, Gunnison, Crested Butte, Steamboat Springs, Rocky Mtn NP. Front range (Denver, Boulder, etc,). Huge portions of SE Utah that most people only dream about.

Further: Maple Canyon (5.5hrs), City of Rocks (7hrs), anything along the Wasatch front/SLC area (4.5hrs and up depending on where you go).

Have you ever ridden a bike? Junction often shows up in top-10 US destination lists for mountain biking. Same with the Moab area (2hrs) and Crested Butte (3.5hrs). There are mountain bikers who spend their lives dreaming of the one trip that they will take to these destinations.

As for the local culture, I recommend reading the local paper's (Grand Junction Daily Sentinel) letters to the editor section and the "You said it" section on Sundays. That might give you an idea.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>