Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Graffiti at Devil's Lake
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 2 of 2.  <<First   <Prev   1  2
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Jun 25, 2012
Rappelling on west bluff at devil's lake.
At jonathan - thank you! Adam Wunsch
Joined Jun 3, 2012
70 points
Jun 22, 2014
At the "summit"
Picked up some graffiti cleaning supplies from the park office today and scrubbed off "possum."

There's some graffiti at the Doorway and Balanced Rock areas that still need cleaning. Will be organizing a graffiti removal day soon. Watch this thread for the announcement if you are available to help out. Also, if you've noticed graffiti anywhere else in the park, please post a description of the location here.
Gokul
Joined May 9, 2011
695 points
Jun 22, 2014
Opossum
Opossum

Not sure if this person owns a guide service but they do look suspicious.
Paul Merchant
Joined Jul 26, 2010
10 points
Jun 22, 2014
Yea in my opinion... Guides and groups are going to kill devils lake for all of climbers. They run up there set up ropes that NEVER get used. I have seen this a few times one was a guide that set up at the east rampart right on upper and lower diagonal. After I got done climbing in the area I decided to just hike with my wife a little bit and explore the west bluffs. Guess who I saw there the guide that set up an anchor at the east bluffs. That's really shitty. Another time I was ticking off a set of climbs near two pines When I got done with one climb I walked back up to reset another anchor for the next climb. There was a group up there about 15 people. I asked them what route they were going to do? They looked at me puzzled. I asked again what the name of the route you guys are looking to climb? They respond with the routes don't have names. I was shocked I pulled out the guide book and showed them. Then they said well we are settin up this whole area. And they did the anchor systems looked like a football training drill webbing and rope EVERYWHERE even spaning back to across the trail. I left to climb a few another route down and around near the bedroom wall. Came back an hour or so later to see them all sitting at the bottom no harnesses on, ropes still coiled.

Groups at devils lake should be limited to 4 people per guide, and if there are going to be larger groups they should have to get a permit or something from the park and post at the trail head what routes and areas they are going to be. The permits and park knowledge of groups would help stop the grifitti and messes they leave behind by giving the park an accountability system. Then ranger can stop in randomly and check anchor systems, and other things like trash and to be sure they are only in the area they said they would be with the number of people they said they would have.

Just a thought don't go ripping my head off.
Capt. Impatient
Joined Jul 4, 2012
0 points
Jun 23, 2014
Thanks, Gokul!!

In the boulder field beneath Horse Rampart, I noticed a large boulder top covered in color. Not sure if it was chalk or paint. Has anyone seen it within the last 6 weeks? If yes, then it wasn't chalk.

Looking forward to your announcement of the clean-up day. I'll be there.
Matthew Clausen
Joined Oct 4, 2012
29 points
Administrator
Jun 24, 2014
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.
CMC reports graffiti in the towers area of the West Bluff. I have the location of a graffito just north of where the Balanced Rock trail reaches the top. And I'm still looking for a "KAW" graffito done in the same style as the "LERN" we removed. Done in mostly red and yellow (we have a photo) it is in a creek bottom somewhere. Doug Hemken
Joined Oct 1, 2004
5,216 points
Jun 24, 2014
Orgasm Direct, Devil's Lake, 5.11a  c. 2008
Gokul wrote:
Picked up some graffiti cleaning supplies from the park office today and scrubbed off "possum." There's some graffiti at the Doorway and Balanced Rock areas that still need cleaning. Will be organizing a graffiti removal day soon. Watch this thread for the announcement if you are available to help out. Also, if you've noticed graffiti anywhere else in the park, please post a description of the location here.


Thanks Gokul.
Dylan B.
Joined Mar 31, 2006
487 points
Jun 24, 2014
hi
dude, that was my work....now I have to do it over a again.

Posse Possum. Peace.
jon jugenheimer
From Madison
Joined Apr 24, 2006
1,283 points
Jun 24, 2014
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008
Climber26 wrote:
Yea in my opinion... Guides and groups are going to kill devils lake for all of climbers. They run up there set up ropes that NEVER get used. I have seen this a few times one was a guide that set up at the east rampart right on upper and lower diagonal. After I got done climbing in the area I decided to just hike with my wife a little bit and explore the west bluffs. Guess who I saw there the guide that set up an anchor at the east bluffs. That's really shitty. Another time I was ticking off a set of climbs near two pines When I got done with one climb I walked back up to reset another anchor for the next climb. There was a group up there about 15 people. I asked them what route they were going to do? They looked at me puzzled. I asked again what the name of the route you guys are looking to climb? They respond with the routes don't have names. I was shocked I pulled out the guide book and showed them. Then they said well we are settin up this whole area. And they did the anchor systems looked like a football training drill webbing and rope EVERYWHERE even spaning back to across the trail. I left to climb a few another route down and around near the bedroom wall. Came back an hour or so later to see them all sitting at the bottom no harnesses on, ropes still coiled. Groups at devils lake should be limited to 4 people per guide, and if there are going to be larger groups they should have to get a permit or something from the park and post at the trail head what routes and areas they are going to be. The permits and park knowledge of groups would help stop the grifitti and messes they leave behind by giving the park an accountability system. Then ranger can stop in randomly and check anchor systems, and other things like trash and to be sure they are only in the area they said they would be with the number of people they said they would have. Just a thought don't go ripping my head off.



Agree there are some bad apples,but then again,,it's always been like that. Decades ago,,the CMC would come up with 60 people and cover an entire area,,so did the Iowa Mountaineers for awhile,then they dispersed into groups of 8 to 10 of their 80 member weekend outings. Sharing ropes has been a tradition, IF a group will trust your anchor setup..Alot of outfitters now cant' do that due to their liability agreements with their coverage companies. Agree it is not good to see a big group of over 8 or 10 taking up an entire area on the East Ramparts...Traditionally, the areas like Stettner Rocks and the Guillotine area have been a 'given' as group instructional areas, where most real climbers are not coming up to do some wicked 'project', thus the crowds there are accepted, and hopefully well organized. No area should leave ropes up and unused for several hours, that's just not good. Out of the way places like the Horse Ramparts still see many climbers approach up those shaky boulders, but not in the huge numbers that used to visit there long ago when the old mountaineering groups of 'yore would take 30 up there each weekend. If anything has spread out to use much more of the park than ever before, it's the increase in the bouldering areas that can be who knows where these days.....not even in our old classic route guidebooks. We all just got to get along...I'm glad to see smart outdoor instruction from the few major, well trained outfitters. It's the noob's with no idea of what a rock is,,coming fresh from the climbing gyms with 'instructors' who have also never been on real rocks....that's the big problem and worst fear of accidents happening. Everybody just try to get along,,,and politely inform those who are blatant problems of what they should try to do to improve their actions and appearance when they are here at DL
Woodchuck ATC
Joined Nov 29, 2007
3,091 points
Jul 9, 2014
At the "summit"
I'll be organizing a graffiti cleanup this weekend - likely on Saturday - at the Balanced Rock and Devil's Doorway areas. I'll have cleaning supplies at both areas. Please let me know if you plan to be at the Lake and can drop by to help out for a few minutes.

I'll update this thread with details on Friday.
Gokul
Joined May 9, 2011
695 points
Jul 9, 2014
me Tuolomne
Good luck with your cleanup, I hope it goes well! Thanks to everybody who toils to make the outdoors decent again.

Graffiti seems to be getting more and more common these days - some sort of psychosis that is infecting the populace. I suspect city dwellers, who come to the outdoors and wish to make it feel either "more like home", or tagged to make it "their own" - like planting a flag on the moon.

It saddens/maddens me every time I see some. It's crazy, like a tree or boulder way off in the woods with a paint sig of some sort on it. Or Sharpies in the desert canyons.. who carries a Sharpie way into Red Rocks trails, except to make their mark?

License spray cans, not guns! ;-)
David Lyons
From Forest Falls, CA
Joined Jun 14, 2006
132 points
Jul 10, 2014
Gannett Peak approach
I'll go buy some rock colored spray paint. ;-) Problem solved. Work smarter, not harder. Brett Verhoef
From Brigham City, Utah
Joined Aug 14, 2013
198 points
Jul 11, 2014
Orgasm Direct, Devil's Lake, 5.11a  c. 2008
Gokul wrote:
I'll be organizing a graffiti cleanup this weekend - likely on Saturday - at the Balanced Rock and Devil's Doorway areas. I'll have cleaning supplies at both areas. Please let me know if you plan to be at the Lake and can drop by to help out for a few minutes. I'll update this thread with details on Friday.


I plan on dropping by.
Dylan B.
Joined Mar 31, 2006
487 points
Jul 11, 2014
At the "summit"
I'll be at Devil's Doorway from about 11:30 am until early afternoon, and will head to Balanced Rock after. I'll have some cleaning supplies with me. Please bring a pair of work gloves, if you have them. Gokul
Joined May 9, 2011
695 points
Administrator
Jul 14, 2014
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.
Gokul wrote:
I'll be at Devil's Doorway from about 11:30 am until early afternoon, and will head to Balanced Rock after. I'll have some cleaning supplies with me. Please bring a pair of work gloves, if you have them.



Gokul & Angie cleaning up graffiti
Gokul & Angie cleaning up graffiti
Doug Hemken
Joined Oct 1, 2004
5,216 points
Jul 15, 2014
Whats the best cleaning agent? EB
From Winona
Joined Jan 1, 2002
790 points
Administrator
Jul 15, 2014
A Very Not Snowy Christmas...
Hi Folks,

I work with the Access Fund here in CT organizing Adopt-A-Crags and have done some research on different agents for removing graffiti. There was a clear winner for us: Taginator

1. Unbelievably Effective
2. Biodegradable
3. Approved by DOT in various states for their removing graffiti on highways/roads
4. Pressure washing not necessary, sprayer w/ brush is effective.

taginator
taginator


I wouldn't recommend painting over graffiti in general because you loose ALL friction. There are some spots we have encountered where it made more sense to paint over, swat-stick that when cleaned left large bright clean spot in the same shape in it's place. This was not on route though...

Lastly a group or person could write up a grant proposal to the Access Fund in order to try to fund the purchase of a lot if necessary. I'd be glad to answer any questions.
Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,420 points
Administrator
Jul 15, 2014
On Everleigh Club Crack.  Photo by Burt Lindquist.
Morgan, what kind of rock? That looks like trap rock or some kind of Eldorado-quality sandstone? i.e. pretty solid stuff? Doug Hemken
Joined Oct 1, 2004
5,216 points
Administrator
Jul 16, 2014
A Very Not Snowy Christmas...
Yup... Traprock. Super hard and porous. Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,420 points
Administrator
Jul 16, 2014
A Very Not Snowy Christmas...
Access Fund Grant Proposals are due by August 1st if you guys wanted to try to apply for a grant to fund the purchase of Taginator for the next year or whatever. Morgan Patterson
Joined Oct 13, 2009
8,420 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 2 of 2.  <<First   <Prev   1  2
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!