Good eats in Canon City

By Brent Apgar
From Out of the Loop
Apr 22, 2010
Me and Spearhead
I don't often get into Canon City proper and am looking for some votes on the best places to eat in town? Bonus points if there's recommendations for good Mexican places.
Thanks y'all, BA

By eric larson
From aurora, co
Apr 22, 2010
suspender man

The most important beta: 2-3 New Belgium brews on tap

By MikeS
From Boulder, CO
Apr 22, 2010
Alfonso's is the mexican place in town. If you don't like cheap, greazy, large-portioned, in a gas station-type mexican joints, then no, it's not for you.
I like it. It's in the Conoco right across from where you turn off Hwy 50 to go to Shelf.
The smothered chimi burrito is badass.

By Rob Kepley
From Westminster,CO
Apr 23, 2010
Yosemite Valley..
Ortega's hands down. It's on the left, right off the hwy just before getting into the downtown area. Great food, excellent service. Locally owned, you'll feel like one of the family.

By JJNS
Apr 23, 2010
Belvedere Merlinos for italian

By Andy Hansen
From Longmont, Colorado
Apr 23, 2010
Intruder, 5.11+. Zion National Park. Photo: Matt K...
I went to Old Mission. That was my only night in Canon City and found the food decent tasting. If you looked hard enough, or listened to other posters, you could find something better... better than camp-stove cooked meals... wait, nothing beats that.

By Joshua Balke
From Colorado Springs
Apr 23, 2010
Ingraham glacier
eric larson wrote:
Have only eaten at 2 places in Canon city... Pizza madness ( i think that's the name.. right in the main downtown strip) and Old Mission mexican.. wasn't that impressed with it... there's a few others around there but I can't speak for them. The pizza place is always a sure thing.. the owners are awesome and fun to chat up if they are around The most important beta: 2-3 New Belgium brews on tap 2nd most important: the pizza is pretty damn good.. at least after a weekend climbing at shelf it sure is!

Canon has a mixed identity that kinda kills it unfortunately. Something to do with taxes on new business. Anyway as for restaurants I'd have to say Old Mission was tasty but the service was some of the worst I've had. If I was looking for food outside of shelf I'd hit Pueblo (the roja on hwy 50 is money) or some place in colorado springs.

By Colin Kenneth
From Berkeley, CA
Apr 23, 2010
A well-spent Saturday night. All of the college ki...
Agreed. Pizza Madness.

It has become a ritual for me and whoever is in my car to pick up a large pizza with tomato and pineapple or green peppers and black olives on the way out of town to eat on the road.

By Tom R
From Denver, CO
Apr 23, 2010
self portrait
El Caporal on Main Street. Solid Mexican food.

By slim
Apr 23, 2010
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
if you want a true 3rd world experience, then conyo's taco house in florence is a must visit. totally classic, but your guts had better not be light duty.

el caporal - approximately 12th or 13th and main street is good mexican w/ good mole enchiladas

old mission - on hwy 50, used to be really good but kind of sliding downhill

ortegas - basically across hwy 50 to the south of old mission, used to be bad, but has been good the last few years

alfonso's - not sure if it is still in the gas station or not, cheap but tasty 'ghetto style' mexican food.

le petit chablis - not still sure if this is open, but it used to be one of the best french restaurants on earth. when i had clients in from france, they would always want to go there because the chef was pretty well known in france. this is at approximatelty 5th st and hwy 50

pizza madness - decent pizza, decent beer selection, fun atmosphere

merlino's belvedere - far south side of town on elm street, pretty good italian but pricey.

By Tony A. Davis
From Drake, Colorado
Apr 23, 2010
Pic
Yeah Le Petit is the very best french around, it has been a couple of years so I hope they are still around, they have a salmon with caper appetizer that is great. I remember Alfonso's being as Slim described, locals pointed us there for the cheaps.

By Chad M
From Castle Rock, CO
Apr 26, 2010
McClellan's Brew Pub on Main Street is pretty good too.

By AJS
From Boulder, CO
Apr 26, 2010
In the sea of Cortez - Baja California, Mexico
I'll second (or third) Ortegas and Pizza Madness!

By Mike Dallin
Apr 26, 2010
Tony Davis wrote:

Le Petit Chablis is still open. It is higher end (food and price-wise) but it is incredible. My wife and I eat there every year or so, and we went last month. For dessert we had what my wife called the best tart she has had in her life. In fact, this summer they are planning on opening a bakery next door, and I imagine I'll spend many a Shelf morning running into town before climbing...

By Said
From Boulder, Co
Apr 26, 2010
Top of the 3rd pitch of Touchstone at Zion NP.
IT's not Mexican, but it's so worth it:

Waffle Wagon.

Bring cash as they do not take CC's. Also note they have a unique seat yourself policy. The wait is worth it.

By John Maurer
Apr 26, 2010
Crested Butte, looking for a landing . . .
The Owl for cheap little burgers . . .

By mcarizona
From Flag
Apr 26, 2010
Please let me know if I sound ignorant but ....."then conyo's taco house" Conyos?????

Steve (esteban to the conochingones)

By slim
Apr 28, 2010
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.
yeah, that's the name (kind of weird, i know). main street in florence, if it still there...

By Kayla Watson
From Durango, CO
Apr 28, 2010
Joshua Tree Bandit
I like McDonalds....I'm lovin' it!

By Sam Feuerborn
From Durango, CO
Apr 28, 2010
Castle Wood Canyon, May '09
Kayla Watson wrote:
I like McDonalds....I'm lovin' it!

-1 I saw Supersize me...

By Jessica Vose
From Durango, CO
Apr 28, 2010
Sam Feuerborn wrote:
-1 I saw Supersize me...

You only get super-sized if you climb less than you eat. Kayla's got her diet and exercising down to a fine science!

By Kayla Watson
From Durango, CO
Apr 28, 2010
Joshua Tree Bandit
Jessica Vose wrote:
You only get super-sized if you climb less than you eat. Kayla's got her dietary and exercising down to a fine science!

Do you mean my cock gets supersized?

By Jessica Vose
From Durango, CO
Apr 28, 2010
Kayla Watson wrote:
Do you mean my cock gets supersized?

+1 Kayla!

By Skyeler Congdon
From his van
Apr 28, 2010
mongolia
wow, this thread got weird quick. Kayla, are you as freaky in the bedroom as you are on mp.com?

By Kayla Watson
From Durango, CO
Apr 28, 2010
Joshua Tree Bandit
I don't know, you tell me Skyeler.

By GabeO
From Denver, CO
Apr 29, 2010
I've always been happy with Pizza Madness. One time all of us who ate there got the shits, but hey, nobody's perfect.

Went to McClellan's Brew Pub once. Holy crap was it bad. The service was awful, they had no hot water in the bathrooms, they were out of most of their beers, and all the rest of them (seriously - all - we got a taster) were pretty terrible, the women's room was out of service for most of the night, there were big holes in the mens room wall, the food was mediocre, and oh, did I mention the beer sucked?

Blech.