Going to IC for the first time in March, what Guidebook do I want?

By Mark Roberts
From Vancouver, BC
Jan 15, 2013
I don't know how to search the forums, but I did check the first five pages and didn't see any similar posts, if this is a common post then forgive me (and answer anyway, please).

Looking for the opinions of locals if possible. I don't just want to climb classics, especially since I'm planning to go in March (high season, I'm assuming?), so not really looking for a select guide or anything.

We'll probably be going with a patched-together set of racks, so if there's a good book that has gear beta for routes, that'd be ideal. I wouldn't want that at the expense of a quality guide though.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

By Kangaru Rat
From Under a Rock
Jan 15, 2013
If you want Indian Creek itself with easily accessable single pitch (mostly) climbs, then Bloom's guide (Sharp End, 2009) is what you need. It has both the popular cliffs and more obsecure destinations. Don't bother with the others guides unless you're seeking more adventuresome climbing and towers.

By Mark Hammond
From Eldorado Springs, CO
Jan 15, 2013

Whatever you get, you're going to have a great trip.

By ben jammin
From Moab, UT
Jan 15, 2013
Aesthetics
there is a new addition of blooms guide on the way. not sure of exactly when it's supposed to come out though.

By Mark Roberts
From Vancouver, BC
Jan 15, 2013
Mark Hammond wrote:
Mark, the Rat is right about Bloom's guide being very nice. Color photos and all, but costs as much as some cams and weighs as much as a small rack. Essential for the regular probably, I have it. However, you did say you didn't want expensive. So, I'll sell you an older guide for cheap if you are interested. It has over 300 routes at the creek plus routes on the Bridger Jacks. If it sounds intriguing I can send pics of a page or two so you can see what its like. Whatever you get, you're going to have a great trip.

Hey Mark, thanks for the offer but I actually didn't mean that I didn't want an expensive book but that I didn't want gear beta if it meant it was only found in a crappy guide. Thanks for the responses everybody! The Bloom guide sounds great.

By roundhead
Jan 15, 2013
mark
honestly, all snark aside, just go to super crack and battle of the bulge buttress and have some fun. you dont need a guide. just ask someone there what the climb is and what it needs. dont fret about a book. you can deal with that the next time you go.

By Brandon Gottung
From Moab, UT
Jan 24, 2013
В Екатер...
The new edition of Blooms guidebook should be out in Feb.

By aliebling
Jan 24, 2013
If you pre-purchase the new version, apparently you get a free ebook version downloadable now.