Goat as Pack Mule

By teece303
From Highlands Ranch, CO
Mar 27, 2013
Aiding.

So today Locker and I were coming down from a great day of climbing at North Table Mountain (aka Golden Cliffs), and on the trail we met this nice lady and her kids who had a pet goat.

She told us that this goat reguralrly carries about 30 pounds or so up to the crag for them, with her own special little pack.

Awesome! Now I really want a pet goat!

As you were.

By Tom-o Sapien
Mar 28, 2013
Conky and I confront Patrick Swayze

Pay full price when you're ordering online like I did so you reap the dividends.
Lots of bargains available on whydoibotherclimbingwhenittakessomucheffort.com.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Mar 28, 2013
...

She actually said the Goat carried up to 45lbs (Now you're talking!)

"You guys should all pitch in together and buy a Yak to carry your chalk bag up that grueling 12 min approach.".

minutes? Maybe for you and many others. For me it's at least three hours...

;-)

"Lots of bargains available on whydoibotherclimbingwhenittakessomucheffort.com."...

LMAO!

My FAVORITE site!

By Tom-o Sapien
Mar 28, 2013
Conky and I confront Patrick Swayze

12 minutes? Maybe for you and many others. For me it's at least three hours... ;-)

Locker
LMAO-RBAY(right back at you)

Difficulties with vision and breathing while navigating the parking lot through the haze of I 70 no doubt?

By TWK
Mar 28, 2013

Jim Whittaker said on one of his Himalayan expeditions, the Sherpas loaded a goat with firewood. When they got to one of the lower saddles, they turned it upside down and lit the fire.

By Adam Floyd
From Almo, Idaho and Las Vegas
Mar 31, 2013
Vegas the Dog

By David Stephens
From Spokane WA.
Mar 31, 2013
Sport Climber

Adam Floyd wrote:
I have met a few folks who have pack goats and alpacas, said they are great for long trips to places like the Wind Rivers if you are going in for a bunch of time. Goats forage like deer, rather than grazing like cattle and have a small ecological footprint, so they are welcome in most parks and conservation areas. Main problem for most was other climbers who couldn't control their dogs, as they would often try to attack the goats.

They are not all that loved in most...if not all the Parks.

Temp Ban on Pack Goats
Climbing with goats in Hells Canyon.
Climbing with goats in Hells Canyon.

By TWK
Mar 31, 2013

Seems as if it could be like trolling for mountain lions and coyotes in a lot of areas.