Giving it all up for a simpler life
   Page 1 of 5.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>

By BackCountry
From West Point, UT
Nov 2, 2012
Whaaaat?
A couple years ago I came across a thread here on this subject. If my memory serves me, there were a number of guys giving their experiences quitting jobs for a simpler life. I've looked but can't find it. Anyone remember or contributed to this thread that could link it? I vaguely remember a book that was mentioned too...

By Superclimber
Nov 4, 2012
The "simpler life" isn't all it's cracked up to be. Eventually, you will want some security. Your body will start to give out and your priorities will change. You will wish you had a home, IRA, health insurance, good credit, and money in the bank. It's not that hard to find a compromise between the rat race and the simple life. Just my two cents.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Nov 4, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
Chris Miller wrote:

Yup. It seems that there is no such thing as a simple life. You're just trading one kind of complexity for another.

By Dustin Drake
Nov 4, 2012
The only simple life is the life where you have zero concern for money. So... go win the lottery, otherwise it doesn't exist.

IMO.

By Tradoholic
Nov 4, 2012
I'm psyched on the subject. The simple life can be done! You are of course going to need some money, so I say quit the rat race but find a very flexible job. I know a few guys who work but live in the cars and pretty much climb 3/4 of the year.

There are stories out there about people living on a $1 a day or something but I think those are some special cases, however, you can get almost anything you need for cheap or free if you're savvy enough.

Step one: Live in your car, duh.
Step two: You will need some $ from somewhere so figure how to save it up or earn it along the way. Some folks do resoles, some make chalk bags but you've got to do something otherwise your simple life will be temporary.
Step three: Tough up. Sometimes it's gonna suck so learn to deal.

By dylanfllr
Nov 5, 2012
NY Times on how good wine, good friends, and living simply can help you live longer.?

By Tradoholic

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Nov 5, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Whatever you do, don't knock anyone up if you wanna "live simply". Having a rugrat is the antithesis to living simply.

By Tradoholic
Jake Jones wrote:

Nah, I disagree, you can still live simple with kids, I think this hinges on our definition of living simple. Obviously kids make it harder and you can't be a bum buts there's all this shit out there that people think they need but they don't and people waste tons of money on useless shit.

By Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Nov 5, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Definitely agree with that. Seemed to me as though the definition of "living simply" was leaning toward living out of a car- which you cannot do with a kid. Legally at least.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan
Jon Zucco wrote:

I agree with this. You can make your life as simple or complex as you want. You can work a sh*t job and still have all the bills and drama, or you can work the corporate job and have none of the trappings.

The majority of things that have made my life "not simple" were a result of my decisions.

By Jeff Kent
From Sedona, Az
Red Tagger wrote:
It shouldn't be hard to make 10k a year, that's 20hrs a week at $10/hr. So lets start there with a budget. Expenses: Food, gas, car insurance, camping/living, cell phone (maybe), health insurance (maybe), car repairs, some gear, ???? What else?

Sounds good, except there should be no maybe when it comes to health insurance.

By Jason N.
From Grand Junction
Indy pass
So is anyone going to answer the original question or just talk about their opinions of the merits (or lack thereof) of a simpler life?

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Bocan
Jason N. wrote:

I looked back for it and couldn't find it.

By Jason N.
From Grand Junction
Indy pass
Chris Miller wrote:

Aren't these feelings ultimately dependent on the individual? I see no problem with lots of diverging life trajectories.

By erik wellborn
From manitou springs
Top of Bridalveil, feelin good
Dont get married. Dont have kids. Dont buy into the yuppie consumer lifestyle. Just go climb. Its really that simple.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
El Chorro
I "lived simply" for many years after I graduated university. Until 2012, the most money I had ever made in one year was less than $7000 (not counting scholarship money, which payed for my education). I very much enjoyed that time of my life - go to climb all over and see every part of the world.

I am paying for it a bit right now though... I have a nice life but I'm turning 29 tomorrow and don't even own a car. Hopefully next year I'll have a car and a nice place and maybe even a child, but right now I have the job of a recent college graduate. It's great for climbing and traveling (which I still do a lot), but it's not great for saving money and supporting a family.

I don't regret for one moment spending the last 5 years living in my car (that I sold to my dad for $1) or a tent or a hut on the beach. Amazing time of my life. But the deeper you get into that lifestyle, the harder it gets to move out of it if you ever decide that you want more. I personally always knew that I wanted a good career and a family - so I had a plan. It is in motion, but it ain't easy.

I guess what I'm saying is to make a plan for yourself and always have an "exit strategy."

By Bob Dobalina
Nov 5, 2012
Feeling it necessary to participate in the "rat-race" is only for those that lack creativity in life!

By Jeff Kent
From Sedona, Az
Nov 5, 2012
I like to be able to buy climbing shoes without worrying about the price. I like going out to eat whenever I want. I like to be able to go to climbing areas without worrying about gas money or how to skirt camp fees.
Don said of the "simple life": It's a great life provided you don't weaken.

By Dave Bn
From Fort Collins, CO
Dreamweaver
Bob Dobalina wrote:

OK...

I love my job.

I love climbing.

Life is fulfilling.

See comment above regarding diverging life-styles.

By Ben Dover
Nov 5, 2012
We will all be living much simpler lives in the near future. Most of our day will be spent hunting squirrels and cats for food and keeping the fire going. Assuming Obama gets reelected, that is.

By Jeff Kent
From Sedona, Az
Ben Dover wrote:

Ben Dover, I'm surprised you can light your meth pipe without catching your back hair on fire you neanderthal.

By Jason N.
From Grand Junction
Indy pass
Ryan Williams wrote:
...Amazing time of my life. But the deeper you get into that lifestyle, the harder it gets to move out of it if you ever decide that you want something different.

There, fixed it for ya ;)

By Olaf Mitchell
From Paia, Maui, Hi,
rockerwaves

This is not a dress rehearsal!
This is not a dress rehearsal!

By Ben Dover
Jeff Kent wrote:

Whats coming
Whats coming

I doubt they'll differentiate between you and me

By Sir Wanksalot
From County Jail
Nov 5, 2012
If you're looking for advice about how to live a simple life on the internet your FUKT! Try reading some books from adventures that lived the simple life. The real answer has been stated already by Olaf Mitchell... Best advice yet.

Page 1 of 5.  1  2  3  4  5   Next>   Last>>