Getting cold from sweating after getting into camp

By Loren Tragen
From Flagstaff, AZ
Dec 28, 2013
Nameless boulder on the edge of the Holy Boulders ...
I hate being cold. I find myself sweating from hiking up mountains and possibly wearing too many layers when starting out and then getting cold when I get into camp. How do others prevent this? Any particular base layers that you recommend? Or, do you just change into a dry base layer when camp is setup? Same thing happens to my hands sometimes: I've got glove liners and Hestra mittens, but the moment I take them off to do something they freeze. It may seem like a silly question, but does anyone use anti-perspirant specifically for this purpose, like on arms and body, too?

By aSteel
Dec 28, 2013
Fewer layers will always help, but sometimes you can be stripped to your skin and you'll still be sweating. Nothing beats having a dry layer to change into at camp, or even at the start of the climb, if you can afford the extra weight. Shirt, gloves and socks are all layers I prefer to have a dry set of for camp or the start of a longer climb.

By marty funkhouser
Dec 28, 2013
I had an unusual system that worked well when I was into ski touring and winter camping. I'd use old nylon windbreakers as my base layer (as in right next to the skin). These would wick moisture very slowly so I could actually feel myself sweating and adjust my outerlayers accordingly. The problem with modern wicking base layers is that they wick so well that you can't feel yourself sweat until it's too late.

The other key for me was accepting the fact that I'd rather be slightly chilled than too warm and sweating. Ive definitely toured with people who habitually wore too much and were always soaking wet at the end of the day.

By Gunkiemike
Dec 28, 2013
I'm sure you'll hear from folks who disagree, but for my $0.02, stay away from wool. Yes, it "is warm when wet". But the problem is that it stays wet a LONG time. I have a variety of baselayers, and a typical outing has me hiking strongly uphill for an hour to an ice climb then standing around for 20-40 minutes belaying. Trust me, I know what wet feels like. A good wicking polyester baselayer will have me warm AND DRY by the time I start climbing. With wool, it's not uncommon to stay damp - warm and damp to be sure - until I get home. Ain't my idea of comfort. YMMV.

By Paul-B
Dec 28, 2013
Flakes of Wrath
Start Cold. I always strip down far beyond what is comfortable at the beginning of an approach. I often will just start with a baselayer and shell, and quickly vent or lose the shell. I heat up quickly, if I start out with too much on I will be hot and soaked in no time. I love Patagonia capilene. I've had a lot of smartwool, polypropylene, and other synthetic baselayers, i have been most impressed with cap. I love to hike in just the cap 4 if its not windy.

By Ben Beckerich
From saint helens, oregon
Dec 28, 2013
About half way up the East Arete on Illumination R...
Have something warm to put on. Sweat against the skin under a fleece and down jacket is still sweat, but it's not going to make you cold. And most impprtantly, as others ahve said already- Start cold. If after you should be warmed up you find that you're STILL cold, you can add a layer... but you gotta start cold to prevent excessive sweating.

I sweat a lot when I'm working hard. In the dead of winter and on the coldest days, I climb in baselayer and air-permeable shell only. Yes, it's cold when you get out of the car, and yes, it's cold when you stop... but it's the only thing that keeps me from sweating through everything I have with me.

By MRock
Dec 28, 2013
Split shin after 5.9+ R lead
Get really good at stripping and applying layers. My go to layers are: cap 2 ss/cap 2 ls/light TNF fleece then I have down sweater and hard/soft shell hybrid.. Stoic breathe on bottom beneath softshell pants.
This way, you can go from t shirt to full on warmth via fleece and down in seconds. If its wet, just go cap 2 ls with shell, adjust vents as necessary.
I find it important to keep a steady rhythm and try not to "blast" too much. Starting slow and cold often helps regulate and keep you in the best temp for your body. Change layers before you feel hot or cold. If you get to a peak or ridge and there's a safe haven 200 ft down, throw your jacket on there and have gloves and whatnot ready.

By bobbin
Dec 29, 2013
no expert, but what I do is wear fewer layers, thin or no gloves and no hat or just a sun hat when going up, permeable layers so sweat evaporates, etc. Then when I stop, that's when I usually noticeably break into a sweat. So I wait a few minutes for that to boil off, only then put on the extra layer, jacket, hat, gloves, and so on.

By saguaro sandy
Dec 29, 2013
Picacho
Man up! Or you can use ladies speed stick all over yer body or just...man up!

By Loren Tragen
From Flagstaff, AZ
Dec 30, 2013
Nameless boulder on the edge of the Holy Boulders ...
Thanks to those who put in some constructrive advice from personal experience. I found some more good stuff from British alpinist Andy Kirkpatrick: andy-kirkpatrick.com/articles/...

He actually does say to use some antiperspirant on your feet to prevent frostbite.

By rging
From Salt Lake City, Ut
Dec 31, 2013
CoR
I won't buy a shell unless it has pit zips and I am not talking about those small ones that run across the chest. The great big ones under your underarm. I even have fleece with pit zips. The other thing that is critical is to flat out take care of a situation before it becomes a problem. If you say, screw it, I'll worry about it later then its going to be a problem.

By hikingdrew
From Los Angeles, CA
Dec 31, 2013
dorky helmet
Paul-B wrote:

This. Also, don't put on insulation until after you've set up some of your camp to give time for moisture to evaporate while you do low intensity work.

By ERolls
From Custer, SD
Dec 31, 2013
Devils Tower Summit
All good tips here. Using them all will help more than just one of them.
The only thing I can add as a prolific sweater myself is to take some kind of electrolyte tab or just salt before you start out. The body is always balancing water vs. electrolytes. If you have more electrolytes in your system your body will try to conserve the water it has. (less sweat) I learned this running cross country in HS. Every body is different. You need to learn what works for you.

Sometimes I need to just slow the pace once I feel the sweat rolling down. I have a partner who wears a base, a fleece and a windstopper and doesn't sweat at all in cold weather. I'll just let him go.

By Allen Sanderson
From Oootah
Dec 31, 2013
Stairway To Heaven - all the way to the Pearly Gat...
Bottom line learn to control yer body temp. Even if it means hiking in with the butt flap of yer skivvies flapping in the wind. As many have said it is all about learning to layer correctly. Sometimes it is a shell over a light layer, sometimes it is a capilene shell.