Gear storage, let's see some pictures
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By NickinCO
From colorado
Sep 11, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

I have a full unfinished basement I'm looking to turn into a workout area/gear storage. Let's see what you've got. Eventually I'd like to build a small bouldering wall and have some organization for climbing/winter gear.

By Woodchuck ATC
Sep 11, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

Plastic bins, stacked and labeled with lead hardware, dozens of quickdraws, another full of nuts and hexes, one full of just cams under 6 inches, everything stacked up and ready for picking out and use. Winter boots, tools and ice screws make up a few more. Seems better than hanging in a closet somewhere. Ropes remain in ropebags, separated by dry' for ice season and regular ones for sport, trad climbs. Miles of 1" webbing for toprope anchor setups. Tents, usually too long for the totes, so stacked vertically in plastic garbage bins with tight lid so mice don't get in to chew up all winter long. Yeah, my home is basically a gear store, ready for group use anytime.

By JoshuaJones
From Albuquerque
Sep 16, 2012
Rapping from the top.

I just use clear sterilite containers. I put my BD racks in one, WC in another, TCU's,mastercams,aliens in another. I am pretty OCD about it;) I wish I had a gear room!

By TDoyle
From Milford, MA
Sep 17, 2012
Photo by Andrew Frongillo.

I have a shelf that has a few plastic bins on it, labeled with what is in them. Some things that I use more frequently just stay In a bag so I can grab it and go (i have a school backpack with my slackline gear in it, and a small duffel bag with just my harness, shoes, chalkbag, and belay device for the gym.)

By randy88fj62
Sep 17, 2012
Thunderbolt Peak in the Palisades

I have an old kitchen cabinet hung up in my gear room. On the bottom of it I made a line to hold carabiners and other gear. I did this by using a coat hanger and making it straight into one long straight piece. I bent the ends up. At those two ends I curled them so that screws could hold them into the bottom of the cabinet. I know this description is horrbile but I love the ability to rack carabiners and other gear quickly based on my activity.

By pooler
From Albany, NY
Sep 17, 2012

gear 1
gear 1

gear 2
gear 2

Rock wall in the garage. Gear in the basement.

By Dylan Evans
From Boulder, Colorado
Oct 29, 2012

Ropes and winter gear
Ropes and winter gear

Trad Rack...
Trad Rack...

I am poor and cant afford art for my apartment, but i have plenty of climbing gear.

"art"
"art"

I live in a small place where space is at a premium, so the walls work pretty well for keeping my gear out of the way and still accessible - lots of those sticky, removable wall hooks.

By Theriault
From Oromocto NB Canada
Oct 30, 2012
Ziggy Piggy, Welsford NB

Gear Storage
Gear Storage

By Steve M
From MN
Oct 30, 2012

Gear storage
Gear storage

I just hang everything from slings on the backside of my woodie. My old daisy chain works awesome for sorting pro, now nobody makes fun of me for wearing a daisy chain thong or tells me I'm gonna die. It's pretty rad.

By Dylan Evans
From Boulder, Colorado
Oct 30, 2012

I think Theriault is the winner! Unfortunately it seems he's Canadian, so it doesnt count. ;)

By Theriault
From Oromocto NB Canada
Oct 30, 2012
Ziggy Piggy, Welsford NB

Dylan Evans wrote:

Yeah, your right, have you ever heard of Canadian climbers... ??? hahah!

By NickinCO
From colorado
Oct 30, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

Theriault wrote:
Yeah, your right, have you ever heard of Canadian climbers... ??? hahah!

That does look nice but how long does it take you to grab gear and go? I ended up doing something with plastic bins where I can grab and go. It's currently all packed for a trip but I'll post pictures later.

By Steve86
Oct 30, 2012

Theriault wrote:

This is pretty awesome. I use bins/the floor in my office right now and I'm constantly digging around looking for something in particular. It'd be nice to have it all organized like that.

By skeeter
From Lakewood CA
Oct 30, 2012

I use a peg board for all my gear except ropes, they go in storage bins. Makes throwing gear into my pack really easy and rarely forget something, because I can see it all without digging through bins.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Oct 30, 2012
OTL

Standard rack is on a gear sling, trad/sport draws are clipped on their own slings, then throw it in the bin in the closet. Packing is easy - just grab a sling or two and a rope.

Are you storing or displaying?

By Adam Stackhouse
Oct 30, 2012
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013

It is funner to look at when it's all hung up on a pegboard!

By Adam Stackhouse
Oct 30, 2012
Courtright Reservoir, September 2013

Somebody start a thread about woodies!

By Ian Stewart
Oct 30, 2012

I did the pegboard thing for a while when I was all proud of my new gear, but it quickly became tedious. I'd get back from a climb, hang it all up nicely, then when I went climbing again I'd have to do the opposite. Now I just throw everything on a few slings and throw them in a Sterlite storage container. Grabbing my gear is just a matter of picking up the bin and putting it in the van, and the gear is usually organized enough after climbing to just throw it back in the bin. Ropes go in bags.

By bradyk
Oct 31, 2012

I leave my standard rack and rope in my pack so that way I am ready to assault at any moment. Just fill up water bottle and add calories.

By Mostafa
From Las Vegas, NV
Oct 31, 2012
Cujo 5.11d Red Rocks

I heard hanging your ropes like Dylan has can put excessive wear on a single point because all the weight is on it. Anyone know if there is truth behind that?

By John D
Oct 31, 2012

Mostafa wrote:

sounds like bunk to me, I've never heard anything like that, but the rope weighs 8-10 pounds and it can hold over 2,000 pounds so I doubt it's being stressed by hanging on a hook. The climbing programs I've worked for hung the ropes from hooks in a similar fashion and never had any problems.

By NickinCO
From colorado
Oct 31, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.

Ian Stewart wrote:

exactly

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Oct 31, 2012
...

I have most of my shit hanging along the walls like others do here. Also have a bunch in plastic bins.

Truth be known, I have too much shit and really should sell some of it.

I'll get a shot posted up sometime soon and join in on the fun here.

Always a kick to see a bunch of climbing crap...

;-)

By rogerbenton
Oct 31, 2012
Whoever this guy is, he's just plain irresponsible.

bradyk wrote:

yup.

ropes in their bags, rack in the pack. grab and go.

300 square foot apartments don't come with "gear rooms".

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Nov 1, 2012
...

"300 square foot apartments don't come with "gear rooms"."

Thread drift:

;-)

By frankstoneline
Nov 1, 2012

Locker wrote:
"300 square foot apartments don't come with "gear rooms"." Thread drift: Many years back I lived in one of those shitty little as fuck, "Studio" apartments. I was an avid photographer in those days and had a Darkroom set up in the super small bathroom. The bathroom was also my kitchen as the studio apartment had none. Needless to say, it was also the bathroom. So (this is 100% true!), I could actually be taking a shit, developing some photo's, and cooking dinner all at the same time. ;-)

Now there is a man with talent. Also a complete and utter lack of respect for the dangers of mixing chemicals with orifice interaction.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>