Functionality to "hide" specific users?

By Ben Gordon
From La Canada, CA
Sep 9, 2012

Hey,

Cheers,

Ben

By mark felber
From Wheat Ridge, CO
Sep 9, 2012

A number of us have made this request or wished that this option existed. Maybe if we keep asking?

By Andy Laakmann
Site Landlord
From Bend, OR
Sep 9, 2012
Racked and loaded... name that splitter behind me? Hint, its on Supercrack Buttress

Sorry, this will never happen.

And it is also 1000x more complicated than appears because user posts are surfaced throughout the site (What's New, Home Page, Forum Lists, etc.)

By Wayne
From Superior, CO
Sep 9, 2012

Well if you read the forums via RSS feed, using something like Thunderbird, that already exists. You can even tell it to ignore posts with certain words or phrases in the subject or body and ignore quoted comments that way.

Unfortunately Thunderbird does not seem to preserve the threading, it's just a list of posts. There might be other readers out there that would do a better job - I haven't looked for them. Has anyone found one that works well?

By Will S
From Joshua Tree
Sep 9, 2012

interesting. You can use a Greasemonkey script on forums like supertopo to do exactly that..block posts from specific users. Different platforms I guess, I'm not a web design/tech guy.

Pretty handy feature though, I must say. Yes, you still see them quoted occasionally. But overall it's pretty good.

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
Sep 9, 2012
At the BRC

Ben Gordon wrote:
Hey, I do not know how feasible this is, but would it be possible to build in some ability to hide posts universally from specific users? I learn a lot from browsing this forum and would love to be able to hide some of the posts from less value adding users. Cheers, Ben

I'm guessing we all have the same few posters we'd rather not have cluttering up the pages? Maybe it would be easier for the admins to just keep deleting those accounts until they give up? Just saying.

By MountainManny
From Idaho Springs
Sep 9, 2012
One Trad Ass Motherfucker

over at the 14ers site they have the ability to add a foe which hides that users posts from view.

By BigJuggsjohnson
Sep 9, 2012
Stones

This post violated Rule #1. It has been removed by Mountain Project.

By Ben Gordon
From La Canada, CA
Sep 9, 2012

MountainManny- I agree. I have seen it on other sites. It definitely is a kind of functionality some forum implementations have.

By Jonas Salk
Sep 10, 2012

An MP without Big Buggs, Mountain Lying, and a sex god super stud from Las Vegas?? Dream on I guess. Maybe just start hitting the flag button on all of their posts.

Andy L-"Realistically it would become useless anyways, because you'd end up reading their posts when they are quoted in subsequent posts."
I don't know Andy, it seems like most people would be blocking at least these three, so we would only see their posts about every 3 months when they change their names.

On the positive side Ben, if you can see it as an impetus to get off the computer so you can be less like these annoying trolls, then maybe it's a win.