Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Fuck yeah amendment 64
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
Page 6 of 12.  <<First   <Prev   4  5  6  7  8   Next>   Last>>
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
Nov 8, 2012
Just curious... do you MJ smokers think it harms your lungs? Old Crusty
Joined Feb 11, 2011
1 points
Administrator
Nov 8, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Old Crusty wrote:
Just curious... do you MJ smokers think it harms your lungs?



  • *this is not an admission of illegal activity**

It certainly doesn't help.
Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
1,004 points
Nov 8, 2012
Old Crusty wrote:
Just curious... do you MJ smokers think it harms your lungs?


Yes I do, which is why I bought a vaporizer. At the same time, though, I think that sitting around a campfire with the occasional gust of smoke in your face, or the hobby welding that I do in my garage are both more dangerous for my health. If I can mitigate that danger though, I'll try to.
Ian Stewart
Joined May 17, 2010
166 points
Nov 8, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
I've never thought of MJ as a big deal and I'm not surprised by 64 passing because so many people I know feel the same way. It's just pot. Maybe now it will be less glorified than it has been?

I think this shows the growing diversity and maturity of voters in this country. There is really no reason to villainize or rigorously control MJ, as it is just another alcohol (less lethal) and just ends up costing courts and prisons money and wasting the police dept.'s time.

Don't really smoke, but might I might just have to have a celebratory hit once it's legal. Congratulations to those who have worked to put this on the ballot for me to say "yes" to. :)
Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Joined Aug 15, 2008
357 points
Nov 8, 2012
My navigator keeps me from getting lost
Lynn S wrote:
...Once again I am just relating my experience with the people I work with.


You may want to consider the bias naturally created by the universe of people you are exposed to. Of course it appears as though marijuana is a gateway to harder drugs when you're working with people who are addicted to harder drugs.

But, there are far, far more people who try or use marijuana but don't move on to harder drugs.
Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
Joined Jul 17, 2006
274 points
Administrator
Nov 8, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
The study above was about lung function and capacity, not long term harm that may or may not occur. Chronic bronchitis was one thing that was mentioned that is a distinct possibility. So, if you use the article to prove definitively that it doesn't "harm the lungs", it doesn't state that.

I'm not anti-pot by any stretch. I'm just being a bored dick and stirring the pot. Flame on :D
Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
1,004 points
Nov 8, 2012
So at least one study that was good enough to make it into JAMA showing no emphysema. Anybody have data/opinion on other lung disease such as chronic bronchitis, malignancy, etc? Old Crusty
Joined Feb 11, 2011
1 points
Nov 8, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
Jake Jones wrote:
The study above was about lung function and capacity, not long term harm that may or may not occur. Chronic bronchitis was one thing that was mentioned that is a distinct possibility. So, if you use the article to prove definitively that it doesn't "harm the lungs", it doesn't state that. I'm not anti-pot by any stretch. I'm just being a bored dick and stirring the pot. Flame on :D


I don't doubt that MJ is harmful to the body. But compared to other drugs, even legal ones... it's really not that bad, if you don't mind a lower IQ or a suppressed pituitary gland (lower sex drive...). Of course, that is with chronic use. AND there are reported benefits to using it as well. That said, I'm glad it's legal. It should be our choice.

medicalnewstoday.com/articles/...

goaskalice.columbia.edu/mariju...

now let's hear from all the stoners with large brains and libidos retort... :)
Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Joined Aug 15, 2008
357 points
Administrator
Nov 8, 2012
Me and the offspring walking back to the car after...
Agreed. Pot is awesome whether you smoke it or not. Legalization will have far more benefits than detriments. Jake Jones
From Richmond, VA
Joined Jul 30, 2011
1,004 points
Nov 8, 2012
5.6+
Lynn S,
Some of the most significant works of art, science, music, theatre, research, sculpture, design, athletics, medicine, film, literture, etc, have been done while the creator was inspired by this naturally accurring plant god placed on earth for us.
Please explain how a few people that can't handle life's psychological options should be the decision makers for all humanity to be banned. The people you treat used their mothers milk as a gateway drug. Should they have been denied that? Their brains are broken and it has nothing to do with "hippie lettuce" or their mothers milk.
According to your logic tricycles should be banned because people eventually move up to a road bike and get hit by a car.

Please articulate your view and help us understand an opinion that seems to be incredibly narrow minded.
Rick McL
From Arvada CO
Joined Feb 24, 2009
39 points
Nov 8, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
Rick McL wrote:
Lynn S, Some of the most significant works of art, science, music, theatre, research, sculpture, design, athletics, film, literture, etc, have been done while the creator was inspired by this naturally accurring plant god placed on earth for us.


I love the whole argument that it's from the earth and it's natural so it's good for you. So is poison ivy, botulism, hemlock, and belladonna.
NickinCO
From colorado
Joined Sep 17, 2010
239 points
Nov 8, 2012
Epic free solo with a pack on
Rick: you should listen to Bill Hicks standup. Good stuff and quite pertinent to this "discussion" Ben Brotelho
From Albany, NY
Joined May 4, 2011
700 points
Nov 8, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
Rick McL wrote:
Please explain how a few people that can't handle life's psychological options should be the decision makers for all humanity to be banned.


Please explain why a few people that can't handle life's stressors and need an outlet in the form of pot make it so everyone needs to be exposed to marijuana smoke?


I'm not against pot although I don't smoke, just playing devils advocate.
NickinCO
From colorado
Joined Sep 17, 2010
239 points
Nov 8, 2012
5.6+
NickinCO wrote:
Please explain why a few people that can't handle life's stressors and need an outlet in the form of pot make it so everyone needs to be exposed to marijuana smoke? I'm not against pot although I don't smoke, just playing devils advocate.


I would never venture to explain such an incorrect extrapolation of my statement. I espoused the plants creative properties, not it's stress reducing properties. I don't think everyone should be exposed to marijauna smoke and made no statement as such. How did you come up with your interpretation of my view?
Rick McL
From Arvada CO
Joined Feb 24, 2009
39 points
Nov 8, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
Rick McL wrote:
I would never venture to explain such an incorrect extrapolation of my statement. I espoused the plants creative properties, not it's stress reducing properties. I don't think everyone should be exposed to marijauna smoke and made no statement as such. How did you come up with your interpretation of my view?


it wasn't your interpretation, it was based on multiple comments posted here
NickinCO
From colorado
Joined Sep 17, 2010
239 points
Nov 8, 2012
soloing Boulder Canyon Upper Falls
So how do people feel about using a state constitutional amendment to pass this?

I personally don't think this has any business being in a state (or federal) constitution, but I voted for it because I feel at a loss of another way to let the federal government know that I am for states rights and individual liberty.

How else could this have been achieved given that the federal government is continuing to classify MJ as a schedule 1 controlled substance?
Micahisaac
From Longmont, CO
Joined Apr 4, 2006
108 points
Nov 8, 2012
5.6+
NickinCO wrote:
it wasn't your interpretation, it was based on multiple comments posted here


Nick,
You 'quoted" me in your response. And, what "wasn't my interpretation"?
Rick McL
From Arvada CO
Joined Feb 24, 2009
39 points
Nov 8, 2012
Erik on Demise of Mr. Riffraff, near the top.  Pho...
Micahisaac wrote:
So how do people feel about using a state constitutional amendment to pass this? I personally don't think this has any business being in a state (or federal) constitution, but I voted for it because I feel at a loss of another way to let the federal government know that I am for states rights and individual liberty. How else could this have been achieved given that the federal government is continuing to classify MJ as a schedule 1 controlled substance?



Means to an end, Micah. People don't remember the things they learned (or should have learned) back in middle and high school civics classes. We legislate through the legal system, sue when we don't win an election, etc. The country often does not work like it was originally intended because we all want our way at any cost.
Erik Pohlman
From Westminster, CO
Joined Dec 18, 2006
4,334 points
Nov 8, 2012
old
Rick McL wrote:
Lynn S, Please articulate your view and help us uunderstand an opinion that seems to be incredibly narrow minded.


Well I will step into the fray again. My original comment, while pointed, was made more in jest and not intended to offend. It is obvious to me that some have taken great offense to my comment and to you I apologize. I could have chosen my words more carefully.

I realize that someone like me may seem archaic to many of you, that is fine. I certainly see myself as no better than anyone else in the climbing community or this world for that matter.

So Rick your calling my opinion "narrow minded" does not bother me, but seems rather to point out that you yourself have a low tolerance with someone who may see things in a different light. I am not on here to say nobody should do pot or drink, those are personal choices.

I have been called lots of names throughout this thread, I can handle those barbs, it has been quite enlightening and entertaining. I have only been relating my personal experience. If you don't agree, that is cool, I guess we can agree to disagree.

After all this is a climbing site right. Maybe we should get back to focusing on what really inspires us, cool rock, snow and ice lines.....
Lynn S
Joined Jun 16, 2007
877 points
Nov 8, 2012
Stabby
Micahisaac wrote:
So how do people feel about using a state constitutional amendment to pass this? I personally don't think this has any business being in a state (or federal) constitution, but I voted for it because I feel at a loss of another way to let the federal government know that I am for states rights and individual liberty. How else could this have been achieved given that the federal government is continuing to classify MJ as a schedule 1 controlled substance?

I wonder if when we secede we'll do it by amendment too
Mike Lane
From Centennial, CO
Joined Jan 21, 2006
839 points
Nov 8, 2012
Pockets and crimps!
intolerance[ in-tol-er-uh ns ]
noun
1. lack of toleration; unwillingness or refusal to tolerate or respect contrary opinions or beliefs.

Also,

RockyMtnTed wrote:
I know youre only 19 but I swear reading comprehension was on the SAT's....


I won't comment on your grammatical mistakes, but I will say I got a 780 on the reading portion of the SAT. If you passed math, you'll see that that is almost a perfect score. Also, I was sober.
tobin sanson
From Carbondale, CO
Joined May 2, 2008
804 points
Nov 8, 2012
5.6+
" So Rick your calling my opinion "narrow minded" does not bother me, but seems rather to point out that you yourself have a low tolerance with someone who may see things in a different light. "

Lynn,
I meant no offense and my intent was to stimulate thought. I said your view "seemed" to be narrow minded, not that I know it is that way. I am very open minded and I actually have a high tolerance for opinions other than my own. That's why I asked for a deeper explanation of your opinion. I want to hear all sides. That's what is cool about our debate here. Everyone can give differing opinions and we will all read them. You WILL be heard.
I tried to articulate that there is a creative component to this substance. Your basic premise was that it was destructive. I was just fishing for you to give some meat to your argument. I have good intentions.
Rick McL
From Arvada CO
Joined Feb 24, 2009
39 points
Nov 8, 2012
NickinCO wrote:
it wasn't your interpretation, it was based on multiple comments posted here


Really?? Because like he said you directly quoted him....

Who is saying that EVERYONE should be exposed to marijuana smoke? How is it any different than cigarette smoke that is already everywhere? I dont smoke but I would rather inhale second hand pot smoke than cigarette smoke, SO many chemicals in cigarettes and it just smells awful. But thats besides the point, smoking in your house is not going to expose anyone else to it.

Also I find it interesting that you posted in another thread that you get drug tested for work so dont want to be around people who smoke? Why not? Are you afraid you wont be able to resist the temptation if they are smoking around you? Thats ridiculous...
RockyMtnTed
Joined Jul 24, 2012
7 points
Nov 8, 2012
after the hard stuff, into cruiser hands.
RockyMtnTed wrote:
Also I find it interesting that you posted in another thread that you get drug tested for work so dont want to be around people who smoke? Why not? Are you afraid you wont be able to resist the temptation if they are smoking around you? Thats ridiculous...


You're a genius aren't you? Go smoke some more dope...
NickinCO
From colorado
Joined Sep 17, 2010
239 points
Nov 8, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
I think you're all just high. This thread stopped being coherent hours ago.

I'll stick to my bath salts thank you very much.
Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Joined Aug 15, 2008
357 points


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 6 of 12.  <<First   <Prev   4  5  6  7  8   Next>   Last>>
Beyond the Guidebook:
The Definitive Climbing Resource
Inspiration & Motivation
to Fuel Your Run
Next Generation Mountain
Bike Trail Maps
Backcountry, Sidecountry
& Secret Stashes
Better Data. Better Tools.
Better Hikes!