frogland rack and rope (linking) advice

By JMo
From Tucson, AZ
May 23, 2013
vertebrae roof

thanks.

By thedogfather
From Las Vegas, NV
May 23, 2013

JMo wrote:
the comments on frogland are slim on rack suggestions, i'm curious if any of you have recommendations for what I need doubles of, what merely singles, i'm assuming no triples? also, there is minimal discussion of linking pitches with a 60, with references to simul-climbing. bringing my wife up= must avoid all simul-climbing. but I could bring a 70 (or an 80) if it saves a pitch. my lightest rope is a 60 tho so if the longer rope confers no significant advantage, why deal with it? thanks.

It has all gear belays so I always bring double to 2" so I have gear for the belays. It wanders a bit so I wouldn't combine any pitches. Use a 60 since it's a walk off.

By Maurice Chaunders
May 24, 2013
Colombian Crack

I'd recommend a 60 also. And doubles to yellow BD sound about right.

By Robbie Brown
From Flagstaff, AZ
May 24, 2013
Jumping across the mace gap with a PBR

Did this in 4 pitches with (i think) a 70m. You can switch them up a lot depending on where you choose to belay.

By DannyUncanny
From Vancouver
May 24, 2013

Is Frogland the climb with the giant chockstone belay? I recall accidentally linking about 3 pitches with a 70 m. This was right through the traverse left around a corner somewhere below the chockstone and that added a huge amount of rope drag. I don't recommend it, but all of the other belay options seemed kinda crappy.

By divnamite
From New York, NY
May 24, 2013

JMo wrote:

Frogland has a fairly mellow approach so weight shouldn't be a big issue. No need to simu. You don't need triples. Most anchors are gear, so bring double if you don't like running things out. All belay spots are nice ledge except the one after the crux and before the chockstone. I think I have enough rope to the chockstone belay, but I want to make sure I can hear my second. Bring 60M, follow the topo, it's one of my two favorite 5.8s at Red Rock. (Dark Shadow)

By JMo
From Tucson, AZ
May 24, 2013
vertebrae roof

Thx all much appreciated!

By Pitty
From Marbach
May 24, 2013
My cool Elly....

we have had double 50m ropes (for other routes that day) and made it in 5 pitches. Gear we had was single to 2 and it was more than enough.