Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
free camping near fort collins

By mountain-nut
From Denver, CO
Apr 5, 2012

hey, im looking to get in a few nights of camping with some friends to prep them for a backpacking trip I'm taking them on. I'm looking for some free camping near fort collins where i can take them that's 2WD accessible. does anyone have any good spots they know of.

I've heard that there's some good camping up CR 44H off of stove prairie road, but i haven't had a chance to go up there to check it out.

By tw160504
From fort collins, co
Apr 5, 2012

up old flowers road is some. also around pingree park

By Chalk Norris
From Brighton, CO
Apr 5, 2012

If you drive up 14 past the palace, you come to a y in the road. Go Left(I believe it is CO RD 27 towards rist/masonville). Take this about a mile or 2 and there is a small hidden pull off on the left where some people target shoot on occassion. If you get to another main road, you have gone too far. It is a dirt pull off that fits 2 cars and you can camp there. You might be camping on some old bullet shells. I would camp there when I lived up in the fort. It might take a little driving to find it but well worth the super short commute to crystal and the palace. Hope that helps.

By Jon Lachelt
From Fort Collins, CO
Apr 5, 2012

You can camp where you park for the Monastery. See the "Getting There" section of this page: mountainproject.com/v/the-monastery/105744343

Then you can hike to the Monastery to put some mileage on your hiking boots.

By mountain-nut
From Denver, CO
Apr 6, 2012

the monastery camping spot looks great, thanks. do you know if the road is plowed during the winter/spring?

Any more spots that you guys know of?

By Forsty
From Fort Collins, CO
Apr 6, 2012

Pingree park up the poudre canyon for car camping, emmaline lake and cirque meadows (located right by Pingree park) for some good easy backpacking. All free and pretty awesome spots. Catch a show at the MIsh if you're going during summer.

By Kevin Landolt
From Fort Collins, Wyoming
Apr 6, 2012

There's no snow up there now.