Flying into the Red River Gorge

By mission
Aug 6, 2010

Does anyone know the best way to reach the Red River Gorge via plane? I'm looking on the internet, and it seems that Lexington is the closest major airport, although Stanton seems to have an airport as well. How much is ground transportation from the Lexington airport to Miguel's (or Slade, just somewhere fairly convenient to the Red)? Or, has anyone ever flown into Stanton?

I'll be meeting friends there who will have a car, so don't worry, it's not like I think crags are walkable from the campground.

By Tommy L-D
Aug 6, 2010
Matthes Crest

I flew into Lexington, which is then a convenient 45minutes-ish to RRG.

Real nice airport, big enough to offer the amenities you need, but small enough not to be crowded.

Can't tell you about the price, as we got picked up by friends there.

By Woodchuck ATC
Aug 6, 2010
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

I doubt if you would find any local shuttle flight to Stanton from Lexington, unless you are already arriving by small private plane. Lex' is only an hour drive, so friends can fetch you there easily from any regional airline. Good luck packing much trad' climbing gear with the weight restrictions these days.

By Ben Mahaffey
Aug 6, 2010
generic crack

Cant offer any help on the transportation but if you are going to fly with trad gear just carry it on. I went out to yosemite this spring and carried on a rope and a double rack, the only thing they did was ask me to take the gear out of my pack looked at it and then sent me on my way.

By Steve Murphy
From Fort Collins, CO
Aug 6, 2010
Never taunt a goat

My brother flew in to Stanton to meet me there. There was no one operating the control tower.

By Jay F. Weekly
Aug 9, 2010
Tasting @ New Belgium Brewing

When will you be flying in?

By mission
Aug 11, 2010

Friday night, October 8th. I believe this is the weekend of Rocktoberfest?