Fiveten Onyxx Rubber/Anasazi VCS

By boulderbum
From NY
Jun 28, 2012

wtf is this garbage? got the anasazi velcros.... the worst rubber i have climbed on to date. its so hard it sounds like you are climbing in tap shoes on the gym walls. equally horrible outside. they edge well but stick worse than mad rocks.

words cant describe how much i hate this rubber

gonna get em resoled before i use em in the fall, thats for sure. id rather climb barefoot.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Jun 28, 2012
OTL

I've heard of shoes with oxidized rubber out of the box that need wearing down to get sticky - possibility?

I had a resole just done with Onyxx, seems pretty damn sticky (if that's what they used).

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Jun 28, 2012
Cleo's Needle

On my third pair of Verdes. None of those issues at all.

By Darren Mabe
From Flagstaff, AZ
Jun 28, 2012
wham bam hand jam. Wrapping up the final moves of Twist of Fate, Oak Creek Canyon. <br /> <br />photo: Blake McCord

thats surprising. i love onyx rubber and the Anasazi velcros. one thing i do every now and then is use a wire a brush on the soles of the climbing shoes to clean them and remove the oxidized layer. it makes them more sticky.

By frankstoneline
Jun 28, 2012

I also have had no problem with this rubber, i think its some of the best rubber i've climbed on.

By Rob Selter
From running springs Ca
Jun 28, 2012
me

I think the Onyxx rubber is great, but I have noticed that when the shoes are new or just resoled they do need some brake in time. try some 80 grit sand paper or a wire brush.

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Jun 28, 2012
El Chorro

What size are they? I'll gladly take them off your hands.

By G McG
From Victoria, BC
Jun 28, 2012

Perhaps the noise your feet make when you're climbing in the gym isn't due to the shoes ;) Because mine aren't noisy...

By Ethan Henderson
From Silverdale, WA
Jun 28, 2012
aliens

Fiveten rubber is great.

The different thing about it is that it takes a few days for the rubber to "open up" and break in. So the first day or two climbing with them they will not be that great. Just use them in the gym a bit till they break in. Then they'll be great =)

By SexPanther aka Kiedis
Jul 4, 2012
Thumbtastic

By Ray Pinpillage
From West Egg
Jul 4, 2012
Cleo's Needle

The Dread Pirate Killis wrote:
Onyxx is doodoo, they fucked up bigtime when they switched from C4. Not buying those, again. Sorry you found out the same way I did. Seems like that crap sticks better in cool temps, if that helps. I wear mine our slowly on gumby climbs in the winter. Switched to Blancos and teal Women's anasazi til they figure out their mistake and correct it. Pontas climb about the same and rubber is not AS shitty. Often cheap, too. Decent heel. Hope that helps. For those that like the Verdes, try the Blancos and see if you aren't impressed. WAAAAAY better.

I have both, I climb more in the Verdes (I think about 95% last year was in Verdes). I also just picked up a pair of Rogues.

By NorCalNomad
From San Francisco
Aug 5, 2012

By SexPanther aka Kiedis
Aug 5, 2012
Thumbtastic

It's "cool story, Hansel". You missed the opportunity to post dwarf pics, too. Fail.

By Ely Finucane
From La Crosse, Wisconsin
Aug 5, 2012
hiking ledges on lost face.

Just came across this post at work...boulderbum, thanks for making me laugh on a slow and boring Sunday at the shop...Hope you're enjoying them now!