Five Ten Team 5.10's

By Lars Torkelson
From Philly, PA
Apr 19, 2012
I found a good deal on these shoes and was already thinking about getting a new pair for steep stuff. Can anyone testify to their strengths and weaknesses? Also, any idea about sizing, break in time, whether the synthetic has even a bit of stretch? Thanks in advance for any advice you have to give.

By drunkenmaster
From santa rosa, cali
Apr 19, 2012
i just got a pair for probably the same 99.95 deal online. (rock creek i think it was?) i am a size 10.5 street and they said order my street size since they dont stretch much. i did and it was almost too tight. i decided to keep them and they are breaking in slow but are still pretty tight. the rubber on top is rad. the down turn is extreme. but the toe tip feels pudgy/lumpy and not nearly as precise as the arrowheads or even the solution but it could be my foot shape. for steep stuff it might work fine though since your not standing hard on dime size edges. the toe hooking rubber is rad and they are really lightweight.! more testing is needed for me to be sure how much i like/dislike them..

By m-earle
From Concord, MA
Apr 19, 2012
Crack Farmer
Lars,

I'm still on my first pair of these, and they are my favorite downturned shoe I have tried. The rubber going all the way up the toe lets these shoe toe hook very well. I also really like the heel on these shoes. For how aggressive, and how well they perform on steeps, they are surprisingly comfy too.

Speaking of sizing, I wear a 9 for most other 5.10 shoes (anasazi velcro, anasazi blanco, super mocc). For the Team fivetens, the 10.5 was the perfect fit. For me, they performed excellently out of the box. After 3 months of sport and bouldering 3 to 4 times a week, they have not stretched (that I can notice) and perform just as well as they did new. Hope this helps.

m

By Rob Warden, Space Lizard
From Springdale Ut
Apr 23, 2012
blah
I had a pair of the blue teams. they are pretty good the toe rubber is large and hooks well bottom of the toe works pretty well for snatching holds on steep stuff. hjowever a word of warning. the heel on mine were too soggy. even though i got the shoe as tight as i could handle and I still couldent heel hook worth a damn. so watch out for that. i had better luck with solutions.

By Andy Hansen
From Longmont, Colorado
Apr 23, 2012
Intruder, 5.11+. Zion National Park. Photo: Matt K...
I have a pair of these size 11 that I've worn maybe... 25 times. They never quite fit me right and I tend to stay away from the super steep stuff anyways. You can have them for a cheap price if they are your size. I wear a size 9 in Five Ten Anasazi's and the 11's of the Teams fit me with minor pain.

By tivs
From Augusta, GA
Apr 23, 2012
Kewl beans! I just ordered an extra pair :) Thanks for the heads up.

Anyway, I'm in the same boat as "m-earle" --I even wear a 10.5 in these and a 9 in super/moccs!
Needless, to say I really like this shoe. It fits just right and, yep, I'd agree that it's fairly comfortable --especially considering that it's a performance fit. No dead space, the heel is snug, and my big toe just points down rather than curls down. Ideal! I can also do toe hooks with this shoe a bit better than with Dragons. Not just because of the added rubber on top (which is kind of overkill) but the Teams, overall, feel a bit softer and more flexible.
I use them mostly for steeper stuff, but I can smear in them and do slab problems as well.
I suppose YMMV, though, because --as with any climbing shoe-- it's all fit and foot-type dependent.

Edit to add...
There's one thing about this shoe that really irks me, though. The pull tabs are really narrow and also seem a wee bit shorter than normal. I've gotten my fingers stuck in them before. Don't try to put these shoes on while standing up.