Fish products vs. runout customs double portaledge ledge

By Lars Hedin
Nov 28, 2013

I'm looking for a good quality light weight ledge for 2-4 day routes. These two seem to be good options. price seems comparable as id buy buy a rainfly with the runout. Can anyone compare them to each other? quality? Setup? Durability? Features?

Anyone find either if these inadaquate? Better options elsewhere?

Thanks!

By George Bracksieck
Nov 28, 2013

I don't have experience with the latter brand, but you can't go wrong with any FISH products. Everything he's produced over the decades is of excellent quality, innovative, and often imitated by his competitors.

By Tico
Nov 28, 2013

I've bought a lot of Russ' stuff over the last two decades, but at this point would buy Luke's gear. He's a younger company and more service oriented.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Nov 30, 2013
...

FISH is the ticket to ride!

Go with the EXPERIENCED, and BEST!

"FISH Products has been making the stuff of dreams for over 30 years... yes, that was years. Our early days of selling one of a kind items from the back of a VW van in the Camp 4 lot has given way to today's global reach via the internet. Our reputation is based on manufacturing overbuilt, innovative, and functional gear of an exceptional value at a fair price.

This is how we still do things around here,
even 30+ years later."

By NC Rock Climber
From The Oven, AKA Phoenix
Nov 30, 2013
tanuki

I have some of both company's products (not portaledges). Both make quality stuff. I would not hesitate to buy any product either company sells. Folks that use the Fish ledges LOVE them. I know one person that has a Runout ledge, and he is a huge fan of the product.

By Moof
From Portland, OR
Nov 30, 2013

I've got gear from both, neither will let you down. Luke is definitely looking to please his customers, Russ will give you good service if you are patient and don't piss him off.

By David Coley
From UK
Nov 30, 2013

I've had two fish ledges, both have been excellent and importantly light and easy to set up.

By mucci
From sf ca
Nov 30, 2013

I have a fish double. Bomber, light, and casual to set up.

I would buy a Luke ledge, all of his products are top notch imho.

Can't go wrong either way, both are made by true craftsmen.

By Mickey Sensenbach
From San luis obispo CA
Nov 30, 2013
me at the top of higher spire!

go with the runout!!! I have used is for like 15 nights and sleep GOOD!! I am 6'5" and my feet hang over but i dont even care. the ledge is light, easy to set up and take down, and pretty durable so far!! the rain fly will keep you dry although you do have to put seam seal on the seam. i have no complaints and I am buying another when mine brakes!!!!!!!!

low on zodiac in my runout customs ledge
low on zodiac in my runout customs ledge

By Lars Hedin
Dec 2, 2013

Jeez. Does noone have any complaints about either of these ledges?? All Im getting is positive feedback in both directions, and now I feel like I need one of each!

Anyway, Im gathering I wont be dissappointed either way.

Any tie-breakers out there before I have to flip a coin?

By CO_Michael
Dec 2, 2013
Mexico roadside rocks

I would go to Runout Customs first.

Luke has helped me and lots of climbers in Moab with his gear and repairs.

I would bet that Runout Customs will get you top notch gear and faster.

Runout has done ledges with titanium and carbon fiber poles too.

By Mickey Sensenbach
From San luis obispo CA
Dec 3, 2013
me at the top of higher spire!

runout is making a special run of "baffin" ledges that are bigger right now... If you "like" them on face book you can see they have some cool stuff.

By Russ Walling
From www.FishProducts.com
Dec 3, 2013
Russ

I would go with either also. Like some poster said above, don't piss Russ off. He is old and surly.

If you need it for Christmas, go with Luke. It you need it for March, go with FISH.

Besides that, seriously, I have heard the RC product is good and Luke is spunky and motivated and aims to please. Russ is old and not that motivated, but IMO makes a superior and time tested product ;)

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
Dec 16, 2013
...

"Any tie-breakers out there before I have to flip a coin?"

I personally go with FISH and the experience of many years of producing top notch gear.

By Keenan Waeschle
From Bozeman, MT
Dec 16, 2013
on top of the RNWF <br />June 2012

I have a FISH "tools for bigwall fools" and a Runout customs bumper sticker on my car.

You can't go wrong either way, although fish does have a better bumper sticker.

By SexPanther aka Kiedis
Dec 20, 2013
Thumbtastic

Yeah, Russ, we gotta get you motivated to put out some new FISH schwag.

Then again, I guess I have to work a bit so I can afford to order all those curmudgeonly toys you sell first...

By Russ Walling
From www.FishProducts.com
Dec 20, 2013
Russ

VaGenius wrote:
Yeah, Russ, we gotta get you motivated to put out some new FISH schwag.

The newest in new!