First time in Bishop, carless, and looking for some cheap, basic accomodations

By Scott Sinner
From Mammoth Lakes, CA
May 14, 2012
Descending the B-S Col
I should be arriving in Bishop today, hitchhiking with a large haul bag. I'm planning on making frequent trips into the Sierra over the next month (also looking for partners still) and I'm hoping someone on MP might be kind enough to let me stash my large bag somewhere safe while I'm out and about. Even better if I had a space to throw down my tent right near town and close to groceries, supplies, etc.

If you have any ideas or could help me out in anyway I'd really appreciate it. Since I'd prefer a longer-term solution to just a few days, I wouldn't mind helping with rent for some storage or a place to crash.

Thanks everyone,
Scott
717-580-2536

P.S. Internet is hard to come by so calling or texting is best for me

By fivefun
May 14, 2012
A fun hand crack
I saw you trying to hitch outside camp 4 this weekend. I would have picked you up but I was heading back to SF. All the best on your journey.

By Scott Sinner
From Mammoth Lakes, CA
May 14, 2012
Descending the B-S Col
Thanks, man! It took a few hours, but I got a ride to Mammoth and a free meal at the Mobile on the way.

By Jon O'Brien
From Nevada
May 14, 2012
just be careful, the whole dirtbag climbing thing works w/ a car. w/out a car you're asking for trouble. the cops in inyo and mono counties are true d*cks. don't mess around if there's signs posted.

if you can score a car you have the entire national forest to call your home, legally and without causing access issues for everyone...

By DexterRutecki
From Cincinnati, Ohio
May 14, 2012
Jon O'Brien wrote:

yeah! buy a car already and quit causing access issues for everyone else. Its people like you that get areas shut down.

By Scott Sinner
From Mammoth Lakes, CA
May 14, 2012
Descending the B-S Col
Thanks for the warning about cops, but I'm no dirtbag. I'm just another climber, traveling, and hoping to be a guest in Bishop without causing access issues. I realize a car would help me a lot, but they're expensive and seem to only break down on me.

This is why I'm trying to make arrangements ahead of time, and even offering to pay some cash as an incentive to make this go smoothly.

By Jeff Chrisler
From Boulder, CO
May 14, 2012
not to be a d, but seriously, just get a car. you get a rental and they pay for any issues in most cases.

carrying a haul bag with all of your gear and stashing it some place is just asking for it to be stolen.

i'm all for helping people out, but going to a climbing area without a bike or a car is just too much. help yourself.

By Zirkel
From Bishop, CA
May 14, 2012
Owens Gorge.  Mt Tom in background.
There is a climber-household called the Zoo, located on W. Line St across from Manor Market, that MIGHT be able to accommodate you. Talk to the staff at Mammoth Gear or Black Sheep for more info.

By Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
May 16, 2012
Cleaning up in Jenny Lake.
The closest public land to town is out on west line at the 5000 foot sign (which is no longer up). Alternatively going out towards the volcanic tablelands there is plenty of BLM land. You could definitely kick it on BLM land near the Happy and Sads for a while, just don't camp on the DWP land.

By cstorms
From North Bend, OR
May 16, 2012
poking out of the crash pad
Go to the pit, camp for $2 a night. That's what I would do. You will find other climbers there. If not, it's a cheap place to camp in Bishop and you can at least hitch a ride to nearby climbing spots.

By Scott Sinner
From Mammoth Lakes, CA
May 18, 2012
Descending the B-S Col
Thanks again everybody for the responses, especially for making me realize it's time to become a car owner again. For those of you concerned about access issues, don't be so quick to assume I'd selfishly cause any trouble like that. I'm looking forward to getting some wheels, checking out Bishop, and spending the summer climbing in the Sierra. Take care!

By AdamB
From Chattanooga, TN
May 18, 2012
Black Boulder Problem, sent after a generous skin ...
The BLM land is the money for sure, the Pit is a filthy...pit. Seriously, it sucks. I'd hoof it out to the back of the Sads, plenty of space out there and it's nice and quite.

By jfailing
From Lone Pine, CA
May 21, 2012
Check out Lone Pine - it may be accommodating to what you're looking to do...