finding a partner/group spontaneously?

By jandek
Mar 23, 2013

Hey all,

I'm planning a trip to Spain and would really like to spend some time climbing, however--
1. I'm going solo
2. I'm doing lots of other stuff apart from climbing, so bringing anything more than harness/shoes/chalk would be prohibitive (but more importantly that's all the gear I own...)
3. I've never climbed outdoors before but have been gym climbing for about a year (though haven't exactly made huge leaps and bounds re: skill)

So, having zero firsthand experience of "actual" climbing culture/customs, (except for a vague sense that like almost everything is super divisive) I need some advice: is it reasonable to count on just showing up at a popular climbing area (eg, Maragalef) and finding someone to climb with? Would it be frowned upon considering my lack of gear/experience? Any input is appreciated.

By EricSchmidt
Mar 23, 2013

I dont think its the culture but I think that going to any crag, in the US or abroad, it would be weird to show up with no climbing experience and expect people to belay you or let you belay them...

Why don't you try to learn to climb and at least get the basics down before you go over? I would feel uncomfortable sharing the rope with someone I dont know, especially if they were a gumby fresh out of the gym.

By EricSchmidt
Mar 23, 2013

Sounds like your best bet would be to hire a guide..

By camhead
From Vandalia, Appalachia
Mar 24, 2013
You stay away from mah pig!

Yeah, it is fairly normal for lone partners to hustle partners at the campground, or even the crag. But it would be fairly bad form to do so with your experience level, even if you were offering something like beer, gas, or food. When you roll solo and hit up groups to climb with, the assumption is that you will pull your own weight in every way.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Mar 24, 2013
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Why don't you, you know, learn how to climb before your trip. How about now?

By JCM
From Henderson, NV
Mar 24, 2013

camhead wrote:

This is absolutely true, unless the OP is attractive and female; in that case, customs seem to be more permissive.