Feeler: Need work? Want to frame a garage climbing wall?

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Aug 26, 2011
OMG, I winz!!!
So the summer got away from me and my wife and I are crazy busy with grad school, work and our little boy who turns 1 today. I bought all the supplies to frame a woody in a corner of my garage (8 feet on one wall, 12 on the other) but haven't been able to make time to bang it out. It would be sweet to get it done as even getting to the gym this winter is going to be really difficult for me.

The design is a ~15 deg wall and a ~40 deg wall, framed with 2x6's basically copying the Metolious directions. I need the framing done most of all, I think I can handle hanging the plywood and drilling the t-nuts once it's framed. My friends offered to help but my limited free time makes scheduling difficult and it's hard to give up the little time for climbing I do have.

Anyone local who has built walls before interested in doing the job for money? If so send me a quick PM with your wall building experience and a rough estimate. I need to see where estimates fall before I can commit to paying anyone so don't dump a ton of time into anything.

By matt bruton
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Aug 26, 2011
climbing Monkey Face spire
PM Sent.

By Kevin Stricker
From Evergreen, CO
Aug 26, 2011
Hey Chris,
Sent you an email. I love building walls so let me know . Here are a couple I have built recently, I would have to talk to you and see your garage to give you a realistic estimate.

Hodges Wall.
Hodges Wall.

Home Wall.
Home Wall.

Home Wall #2.
Home Wall #2.

Give me a call if your interested.

By Dave Swink
From Boulder, Co
Aug 27, 2011
Kevin,

Wow for your home walls. Very nice.

Dave

By Count Chockula
From Littleton, CO
Aug 27, 2011
Count Chockula
Wow is right. That wall is a thing of beauty!!

By Mark Roth
From Boulder
Aug 27, 2011
not climbing
Is that a storage space or just an access door in the last picture with the piano hinge?

By the worm913
From Denver, CO
Aug 27, 2011
Big Bend Bouldering
Seriously amazing work there. I'll be in touch in a few years!

By Kevin Stricker
From Evergreen, CO
Aug 27, 2011
It is storage, although I have had to reconfigure the door due to holds on the wall keeping it from opening up completely. Here is a view in the back:

Storage.
Storage.

and a couple more of the wall. Unfortunately I had to take down the curved wall and small steep wall to make room for my expanding tool collection for cabinetmaking.

Home Wall #3.
Home Wall #3.

Arete Feature.
Arete Feature.

Thanks for looking.

By Jason Haas
Aug 28, 2011
I've seen Kevin's wall first hand - it's a thing of beauty. He does really really good work.

By TBlom
Aug 29, 2011
I've built a few garage woodies... If you have to build a small wall, go steep. You will get bored of the less steep walls. We spent all of our time on the horizontal and 45 degree walls, less steep saw no traffic except accessing the wall. Also, invest in good lumber. Just my $0.02 from someone that does more fishing than climbing at this point.
Also Mcguckins has good rates on T-nuts (way better than Lowes).

P.S. if you like climbing routes, a few dummy bolts with quickdraws and some 'cam placement' slots makes for a serious indoor burn if you tow a 20' section of rope behind and clip while bouldering on steep stuff. (we had a 35' horizontal jug circuit complete with 7-8 clips and some placements on our last wall under a deck).