Explanation please (Re: 2 belay loops)

By skeeter
From Lakewood CA
Oct 5, 2012
I'm looking at the Metolius harness and wondering the benefit of 2 belay loops on a multi-pitch. Can someone explain what is going on in a multi-pitch climb that requires 2 belay loops (aside from aid climbing)?

By Max Supertramp
redundundundundundundundancy, er redundancy redundancy

By mikek
From SLC, UT
Oct 5, 2012
To be truly safe, of course, you should wear two harnesses.

By Bill M
From Fort Collins, CO
Oct 5, 2012
For aid climbing you could have two daisy chains and a fifi hook all coming of the center of the your harness. Two loops help keep things cleaner

By skeeter
From Lakewood CA
Oct 5, 2012
To be more specific I was referring to this phrase on the SAFE TECH ALL-AROUND CLIMBING HARNESS "Two belay/rappel loops make setting up for rapples and multi-pitch belays easier"

By JKzxcv
Scott Gardiner wrote:

If your clipped in your anchor and getting ready to rap it can be annoying to have 2 or 3 carabiners on one belay loop interfering with eachother. Same thing with a hanging belay, it's bothersome to have multiple carabiners on one belay loop while your belaying off it.

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
At the BRC
Two loops will work for rapples, but you really need three for efficient repels.

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Oct 5, 2012
Got Milk? How about forearm pump? Tony leads "...
The only real convelience I can think of it that you can tie in between them and still always have one on "the right side" to belay on no matter what. But I wouldn't want that.

By Mark E Dixon
From Sprezzatura, Someday
At the BRC
Seriously though, I like to use two seperate rappel devices on each rappel, to maintain a margin of safety. Like a figure 8 on one loop and an ATC on the other. If you use the same loop for both locking biners they can rub together, unfasten each other and release the rope.

By ChristopherAust
From Ohio
omg
I like to use both for rappels when I put my atc extended on a sling and have a backup prussik underneath connected to the other loop.

By Sam Lightner, Jr.
From Lander, WY
The Shield
Its so you can clip their hoop style ear rings in on both sides.

By skeeter
From Lakewood CA
Oct 5, 2012
Thanks, my question has been answered, enjoyed the humor too. Cheers all

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Oct 6, 2012
Got Milk? How about forearm pump? Tony leads "...
Sam Lightner, Jr. wrote:
Its so you can clip their hoop style ear rings in on both sides.

Hoops??? Gauge dude... And you call yourself a hipster!?!?!?!

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Oct 6, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
real hipsters don't wear earrings. wait. what's a hipster?

By Kevin Stricker
From Evergreen, CO
Oct 6, 2012
Two loops are very convenient while rope soloing and following pitches on Jumars. In both situations you tend to have a backup knot clipped into your belay loop. The weight of which pulls the loop down. Now every time you reach up with a daisy(or Jumar) you are pulling up against that loop. Might not seem too bad, but after 1000+ cycles it adds up. With two loops one is delegated to your backup knot and the other is your attachment for everything else.

That is at least how I use the big gun BD harness, most of my climbing is rope solo.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Oct 6, 2012
Bocan
Jon Zucco wrote:
real hipsters don't wear earrings. wait. what's a hipster?

Why did the hipster burn the roof of his mouth?

He ate his pizza before it was cool.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Oct 6, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
that doesn't answer my question.

By paintrain
Oct 6, 2012
Chuck Norris can Divide by Zero
I found this to be the most informative in regards to the existential metaphysical question of "What is a hipster"

cracked.com/funny-4573-hipster...

I thought this graph was also a good summary:

Hipster breakdown
Hipster breakdown

PT

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Oct 6, 2012
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV
I see. Thanks, the graphic explains it all.