Europe Climbing Trip June/July Looking for Climbing Partners Everywhere

By alextaylor116
Apr 4, 2014

Hi all,

I'm going to be traveling all over Europe solo and would love to do a bunch of climbing.

Let me know if your interested in climbing in one, or multiple destinations with me. I'm really up for going pretty much anywhere in Europe with great climbing.

I can lead sport up to 5.11b. If I'm leading trad I'll max out more at like 5.10a, but can follow higher.

I love all types of climbing except for Off-width.

Cheers,
~Alex

By J.Lowry
Apr 4, 2014

Will be in Switzerland June / July. Climb at the same level as you. Would be awesome to do some multi pitch in Switzerland / Italy. Plan on bringing my rack / rope. PM me.

By Eric Schnepel
From Portland
Apr 11, 2014
The rail of Dracula. Classic moves

Alex/J.,

I'll be in Europe for all of June, July, and half of August. All of July will be in Ceuse, but I'll be in Gimmelwald, Switzerland and Cortina d'Amprezzo Italy in late June. Are you interested in climbing at any of these places? As far as grades go, I'd prefer sport climbing in the 7a-8a range, but am up for anything. Won't have a rack with me, but I'll be bringing a 70m cord and sport rack of draws.

I'll send a PM.

Eric

By kenr
Apr 11, 2014

Eric Schnepel wrote:
All of July will be in Ceuse, but I'll be in Gimmelwald, Switzerland and Cortina d'Amprezzo Italy in late June ... I'd prefer sport climbing in the 7a-8a range

To me it sounds like you're overplanning this, given the level you climb at.

I bet you'd do just fine if you brought with you a reliable means of Net access, and a short list of web forums for local climbers in each country (or nearby countries -- definitely include Germany, they drive everywhere to climb) - (and of course include UKClimbing.com, not sure if their "Rock Destinations" or "Lifts + Partners" forum is better for your locations).

Just post in English (or some fractured attempt at the local language) something like: "I'll be around this area starting two days from now because it's looking sunny, and I'd be happy to lead you up sports routes 7a-7c if you're willing to speak English with me because I don't speak X hardly at all."

I think you'd find a sufficient number of climbers who would gladly take the opportunity to combine improving their English (critical for lots of good career paths in Europe nowadays) and getting led up 7a routes - (because despite all the talk in the magazines about the new 8c and 9a routes ... 99% of real European climber persons out on real rock are not capable of reliable getting up a pitch more than 6c, and plenty cannot reliably do more than 6a).
. (indeed I'd guess a substantial percentage of certified European mountain guides can no longer reliably lead more than 6a on-sight) .

Ken

By Eric Schnepel
From Portland
Apr 21, 2014
The rail of Dracula. Classic moves

Thanks a lot for the advice, Ken!

By semicolin1
Apr 23, 2014

Eric/Alex/J.: My wife and I will be in Kandersteg June 9-13 and looking to get on some easier multipitch, via ferrata, and/or sport routes in the 5.9/5C or below range. Any suggestions for classic routes that we can get to via public transportation? Eric, what's in the Grimmewald area? Can climbing gear be rented?

By alextaylor116
Apr 26, 2014

semicolin1

I've never climbed in Europe outside of the UK, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help.