Login with Facebook
 ADVANCED
Eldo Upper Ramp rappels?
View Latest Posts in This Forum or All Forums
   Page 1 of 1.  
Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
 
 
By Chris Cavallaro
Jul 4, 2014
Hello!
I am hoping for advice please on the rappels from the upper ramp on Redgarden when climbing Ruper please.
I'll be using a 70m.

Without bringing hiking shoes for the hike from vertigo raps back to the bottom of the lower ramp where I normally stash gear, the hike is treacherous for me with having several recent foot injuries where wearing climbing shoes are more painful than usual.

From the top of Ruper, I thought it would be best to do the first chockstone rappel and then scramble down (safe?) the upper ramp to the Naked Edge Area (?) Raps (or touch and go?)
I did something there once a long time ago so I am not familiar anymore but, I believe this could possibly save my injuries from too much pain on the hike from vertigo raps back to to our starting point.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

FLAG
By Steve Levin
From Boulder, CO
Jul 5, 2014
Hike in
My advice: Bring lightweight approach shoes and descend the Chockstone/Vertigo rappels. And instead of leaving your packs at the base of the Lower Ramp and approaching via the ramp, hike around to the West Redgarden trail, leave your packs near the base of the West Face of the Lower Ramp, and climb that to get to the base of Ruper. It is faster, easier, and safer than the Lower Ramp.

Descending the entire Upper Ramp in climbing shoes from the base of the Chockstone Chimney rappel to the Naked Edge/T2 raps doesn't sound like it will help your feet avoid pain.

And a 70m rope will give you 10 extra meters of rope to carry and deal with at each and every belay/rappel, not exactly an advantage.

FLAG
By Chris Cavallaro
Jul 5, 2014
Steve Levin wrote:
My advice: Bring lightweight approach shoes and descend the Chockstone/Vertigo rappels. And instead of leaving your packs at the base of the Lower Ramp and approaching via the ramp, hike around to the West Redgarden trail, leave your packs near the base of the West Face of the Lower Ramp, and climb that to get to the base of Ruper. It is faster, easier, and safer than the Lower Ramp. Descending the entire Upper Ramp in climbing shoes from the base of the Chockstone Chimney rappel to the Naked Edge/T2 raps doesn't sound like it will help your feet avoid pain. And a 70m rope will give you 10 extra meters of rope to carry and deal with at each and every belay/rappel, not exactly an advantage.


Thanks Steve!

Sorry to ask, but can you please elaborate on 'leave packs near base of the west face of the lower ramp' please?
I was just on that trail yesterday; are you saying to climb slippery spoon, or some kind of scramble to the climbers left of the spoon!
I saw these below-noted comments on Ruper;
Is this what you are referring to please?

One last question (sorry!) why do you think using a 70m on this route would not be beneficial?
I thought combining, for example, pitch 1&2 and then from the upper ramp, combine 4&5 to the area just below the traverse would be great and a 70m would help this.

Alternate approach: Hike the Streamside trail around to the West Face of Redgarden and follow the climbers access trail up some switchbacks. Stop just before a clean arete (Superarete), with the route Superslab and Vertigo towering overhead and slightly uphill. Directly above, and right of Superarete is a broken area with trees on top. Scramble into a scoop and head sharply up right to gain the top of the Lower Ramp, then head left to the start

FLAG
By Martin le Roux
From Superior, CO
Jul 5, 2014
Stairway to Heaven
Chris Cavallaro wrote:
are you saying to climb slippery spoon, or some kind of scramble to the climbers left of the spoon!


No, Slimy Spoon (not Slippery Spoon) is on the S Face below the Lower Ramp. The approach that Steve mentions is around the corner on the W Face. It's route 229 in his guidebook.

Chris Cavallaro wrote:
I saw these below-noted comments on Ruper; Is this what you are referring to please?


Yes.

Chris Cavallaro wrote:
why do you think using a 70m on this route would not be beneficial? I thought combining, for example, pitch 1&2 and then from the upper ramp, combine 4&5 to the area just below the traverse would be great and a 70m would help this.


Yes, those pitches can be linked, but you can do that with a 60m rope. Just be careful about rope drag if linking pitches 1 and 2. I like to use double 60s, which are also useful for the Vertigo raps.

FLAG


Follow replies to this topic? Notify me at the top of web site.
1

Email me.
Page 1 of 1.