Eldo or Flatirons? Looking for suggestions.

By JoshuaJones
From Albuquerque
Aug 10, 2014
Rapping from the top.
I'm headed to see some Widespread Panic in Broomfield at the 1st Bank Center for Haloween weekend and would like to climb atleast once while up there.

Just curious about weather/climbing conditions and suggestions for classic moderate trad routes for my wife and I to climb.(She is just starting to climb) Short approaches preferable due to limited time.

I am also open to suggestions for other things to do/places to check out in Boulder to help make the trip fun for my wife too:)

Thanks for any help MP:)

By JoshuaJones
From Albuquerque
Aug 10, 2014
Rapping from the top.
Got a reservation to stay at the Boulder Mountain Lodge. Seems close to the climbing in Eldo.

By Andy Hansen
From Longmont, Colorado
Aug 10, 2014
Intruder, 5.11+. Zion National Park. Photo: Matt Kuehl
Wind Tower in Eldo. 5-10min approach, 4p routes, easy grades, easy routefinding.

By J D
Aug 10, 2014
Beautiful day at Way Rambo
The flatirons may be farther away from where you are staying, but there are awesome long easy routes up to the top which all offer an amazing view of Boulder. The climbs are easy but it can be hard to protect.

By Dave Swink
From Boulder, Co
Aug 10, 2014
Wind Tower is a great recommendation. The First or Third Flatiron would be fun too.

Take your wife for a stroll on the Pearl Street Mall and visit the Boulder Dushanbe Teahouse nearby.

By good pro
Aug 11, 2014
Don't forget to ride some roller coasters at Elitches. My favorite is the mind eraser

By Elliott Crooks
Aug 11, 2014
+1 for Wind Tower in Eldo. Eldorado canyon is the best trad area this side of the 'Gunks, IMHO.
In Boulder, the Celestial Seasonings tea tour, and Neptune Mountaineering (one of the best climbing shops in the country, with a great history of gear wall).

By JoshuaJones
From Albuquerque
Aug 11, 2014
Rapping from the top.
You folks are awesome. Thanks for the info.

By Scott McMahon
From Boulder, CO
Aug 11, 2014
Bocan
Elliott Crooks wrote:

Eesh better than lumpy? Man I'd choose solid granite in the sub-alpine with fantastic views, cool weather, aspens, animals etc over a crowded delaminating choss pile.

But like you said it's all preference. :o)