Easy sport climbing areas for Family in Wyoming or Idaho

By Hilary Sheaff
From Whakatane, New Zealand
Jul 12, 2014

Hi, we are a family from NZ travelling for the next 2 months looking for sport climbing areas to visit in Wyoming or Idaho.
The kids are 6 and 8 and have been climbing for the last few weeks in Colorado, we can lead climb to top rope them.
Any suggestions of nice sport climbing areas, shady/cool, nice spots to hang out and/or camp would be greatly appreciated! We have a 30ft motorhome.
Thanks so much!
Hilary

By Shawn Mitchell
From Broomfield
Jul 13, 2014
Splitter Jams on the Israel/Palestine Security Wall.

Bump for Hilary. Surely some MPers have some helpful recommendations...

By adam brink
From Boulder, CO
Jul 13, 2014
Arlo in all his magnificence.

Vedauwoo, Wyoming is excellent for kids and has a huge variety of routes both in the shade or sun. I would not leave Wyoming without going to the Voo. The camping is great as well. My kids love it when we go there. Also, Wild Iris is reasonably kid friendly and is very beautiful.

City of Rocks, ID is a classic crag that is also very kid friendly. If you are in Idaho, consider checking out Stanely. Not a lot of climbing that is kid friendly but it is beautiful beyond measure and there is lots of hiking, lakes, rivers and stuff that the kids will love.

PM me if you need further info on any of the places or route recommendations.

Cheers,

Adam

By Chris Jones
Jul 13, 2014

As far as Wyoming, the only area with moderate sport climbs I would recommend would be Piney Creek Canyon near Sheridan. Lots of shade from trees, lots of 5.9 bolted routes which are classic and nearby RV camping opportunities. Very kid friendly approaches and belay areas. I take my kids there regularly to climb. Haven't seen rockfall yet but there is scree above.

In Idaho, the City of Rocks is going to be your best bet for RV camping and moderates. It has tons of moderate routes but is a little limited on pure sport routes and alot of the routes are mixed gear and bolts. Also, very kid friendly approaches and belay areas. Little to no rock fall because of the solid granite.

If you are in this area, I would also consider American Fork Canyon in Utah which has super easy access to moderate sport routes (5.9 and 5.10) which are in the shade. Watch the swiftwater for kids.

Maple Canyon in Utah is probably the best family crag for moderate sport routes in the western U.S. if moderate is 5.9 and 5.10 for you and you like 2 second approaches. It generally stays cool all summer and there are tons of routes. Watch the occasional falling cobble for kids. I wouldn't have them under the climb or the climbs of others.

By Hilary Sheaff
From Whakatane, New Zealand
Jul 13, 2014

Primo thanks! They are great tips. We are in Alpine WY now and had heard about piney creek. Also thinking about Lander and Wild Iris.
We plan to go to Utah in Sept hopefully it will be starting to cool down then, Maple sounds great. Thanks alot!

By Chris Jones
Jul 13, 2014

Lander is pretty limited on moderate sport and has steep approaches. Steep drop-offs for kids to tumble down as well.

By Brian Scoggins
From Eugene, OR
Jul 13, 2014

That motorhome is problematic. Most of the really good family crags are just not accessible with that beast.

For all your other criteria, the OK Corral at Wild Iris is perfect. All of the (admittedly primitive) camping is about 200 yards from the wall, and there are a large number of 5.6-5.9 routes, in little clusters all along the wall.

I just think that you'd have a hard time getting that motorhome all the way up Limestone Mountain Road, let alone cramming it into one of the campsite pull-outs below the Corral.