Does Denver need a new climbing gym?
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By JSS
Oct 20, 2011
I know, I know...you can climb outside all year in Colorado. But...for working (9-5) folks, a gym is the way to stay fit in the winter. I like Rockin N Jammin, but its too far from the city with traffic at 5 PM, and Thrillseekers, eh, not so much a fan. Any word of a new gym planned for Denver? In my opinion one is desperately needed. Preferably Highlands neighborhood or on / near the Cherry Creek bike trail. Thoughts?

By J Antin
From Denver, CO
Oct 20, 2011
First morning at Indian Creek!!!
I am also not a huge fan of indoor climbing, but its surprsing how many gyms there are in DT Boulder, and barely any in DT Denver....

By koreo
From Denver, CO
Oct 20, 2011
sloping <br />
+1. And I'd like to see a gym with climbing walls like what I saw in San Francisco. We may have a lot of great outdoor climbing, but we don't have shit as far as gyms go. I went to Touchstone Climbing in San Francisco and it has to be the best gym in country. There isn't anything in the Denver/Boulder area that can touch it.

By Monomaniac
From Morrison, CO
Oct 20, 2011
Insurrection, 5.14c.  Photo Adam Sanders.
I would love another gym in Denver. Is someone considering building one?

I personally think R&J are both great gyms, but they're too far from where I live to visit regularly. Thrillseekers speaks for itself.

By LIV
Oct 20, 2011
Kirk Couloir Challenger Peak
Yes - Denver needs one - but west - C-470 area. And it's mine. Although I absolutely love Movement, I would do it a bit differently. I would have an area for beginning climbers and teaching (and birthday parties, team building events, etc.), reasonably separate from the regular climbing area. Sorry to the beginners, but I really feel that would enhance - not take away - from everyone's climbing experience. And then, I am going to market the heck out of it to kids. They are the lifeblood (and the money) of any gym.

Movement did it well, but the viewing is just "ok" not exceptional. I would like my gym to be highly viewable from all areas and have great parking and a ton of space for watching competitions.

By Allen Hill
From FIve Points, Colorado and Pine
Oct 20, 2011
Slick Rock put in
We need one close to downtown for us urban dwellers as well as for people who work there. Paradise was close enough. I really miss that place.

By J. Fox
From Black Hawk, CO
Oct 21, 2011
Me too!
Golden needs one. Boulder = too far. Denver = too far. (for me anyway) to justify going. Of course there is the Golden Rec center, but it's not that big.

By Derek W
Oct 21, 2011
First summit of First Flatiron
Castle Rock/Monument area needs a nice one!

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Oct 21, 2011
OMG, I winz!!!
Golden needs one for sure. I'm surprised that no one has jumped on that. Not that I want to operate a gym...

By Jeremy Kasmann
From Denver, CO
Oct 21, 2011
Allen Hill wrote:

+1. I would switch for sure.

By Kirk Miller
From Golden, CO
Oct 21, 2011
Bugaboos, 1978 <br />Photo by Ken Trout
Forget the kiddie parties and open a gym with a liquor license, full bar, dance floor. Make some real money.

By percious
From Bear Creek, CO
Oct 21, 2011
Hanging out with some scooter trash.
What golden needs is a year-round ICE gym. The Euro's are killing us there. What's a little fossil fuel when the World Cup is at stake. After all, we do have year-round ice rinks.

-chris

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Oct 21, 2011
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.
Allen Hill wrote:
Paradise was close enough. I really miss that place.

I really miss Paradise, too. Met and made a lot of good friends there.

By M Lindfors
From Highlands Ranch
Oct 23, 2011
South metro area could use one especially if they were to have a good kids program that teaches climbing and how to behave at the gym (unlike certain alphabetical teams) and crags. Bringing in new climbers is a good thing but teaching them to be good members of the climbing community is priceless.

By Zach Wilson
From Aurora, CO
Oct 28, 2011
I'm out by the UC Denver Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. Every Gym is at about 25 minutes away. There are plenty of grad students who climb and it's a bit far to hit the foothills after work. A gym would be nice.

By krispyyo
From Littleton, CO
Oct 28, 2011
One of the most amazing sport climbs ever. Caveman (5.11d) on Thaiwand Wall, Tonsai, Thailand. The move above where I am is the crux, but stays pretty sustained the rest of the way. Awesome exposure and excellent moves the whole way.
I'll be moving out to Parker area next year from Boulder, and I am going to be so sad to be leaving all the great climbing, including the indoor climbing in the winters. I agree that Highlands Ranch/Parker area could use one. Someone build it before next winter please!

By SCherry
From San Diego, CA
Oct 28, 2011
Trying to onsight 12a at Holcomb Valley Pinnacles.
First off Parker and South Denver have Rock'n & Jammin' II which is a pretty nice facility for the burbs.

Rock'n and Jammin'I is too far north for downtown and anywhere within city limits. I was living in 5-points/Highlands and it took 20 minutes without traffic.

A while back their was rumor the guys from Paradise were going to open another gym near Coors Field. I think I heard through the grapevine that they didn't have enough investors and couldn't find the right space.

Now that I live in SoCal, you should see the number of gyms around with new one's opening up all the time. The funny thing is there are a lot less climbers here than in Colorado.

What's the scoop on the Denver Bouldering Club? Is that place still around? Not that it was adequate but it was central to downtown.

Someone really should open up a Mega Gym (a la Touchstone or Movement) in Downtown. I'm guessing the problem is those gyms cost an insane amount of money to build.

By Walt Barker
From Reno NV
Oct 28, 2011
Self portrait on the summit of Gray's Peak, CO
Ditto for Lakewood/Golden area.

By David Taft
From Boulder, CO
Oct 30, 2011
enjoying the view
One of my friends said the Spot was considering a Denver gym, that city desperately needs something downtown. DBC is alright but its tiny and in the ghetto. No doubt theres a ton of climbers in downtown/cap hill/highlands/city park neighborhoods to support a gym somewhere central. I miss Miramont in Fort Collins...

By jon weekley
From Denver, Co
Oct 30, 2011
avocado gully
Suck it up and go to Thrillseekers. It's got parking and holds. Everything you need for a pump.

By Matt Bolt
From Lakewood
Oct 30, 2011
patrick, you take such great photos!
I thought Lakewood/Golden had 2 gyms. The BHBC and Clear Creek.

• BHBC - Black Hole Bouldering Club

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Oct 30, 2011
Mathematical!
jon weekley wrote:
It's got parking and holds.

I'm picturing a parking lot with a pile of climbing holds in the center.

By David Taft
From Boulder, CO
Oct 30, 2011
enjoying the view
Taylor Ogden wrote:
I'm picturing a parking lot with a pile of climbing holds in the center.

Thats about right, the place is a dump.

By Gabe Anderson
Oct 30, 2011
A gym in the Littleton/Lakewood area would do great business.

By ChrisV
From Denver
Oct 31, 2011
jon weekley wrote:

Thrillseekers sucks. The place is dark and filthy, and the staff are condescending assholes. A gym in the west metro area would be awesome.

By Josh Cook
Nov 1, 2011
The Illustrious Super Crack
Oooh. Condescending assholes...

In Thrillseeker's defense (since I was one of those condescending assholes who worked there for three years), it has what is needed to get a work out; granted it's not as purty as the other gym options in the Front Range. Both before working there and while working there I enjoyed the people who climbed there much more than I have at a places like Movement, where one's ego seems to scream as loud as the the sound of their rope when it's tossed in front of the route you were just about to hop on. Plus, no ridiculous crowds and plenty of climbing space. We also made an effort to be very creative and intentional about our setting, since we didn't have the space that usually lends itself to right, left, right, left hauls with slightly smaller holds as you ascend the grades. It was historically the training ground for more than a few of Colorado's 'elite' climbers as well. If the goal is to get stronger, or stay in shape, and hang out with some cool people, Thrills does the job.

Oh, and the rest of the staff warms up after awhile, assuming you (the collective 'you') aren't acting like an asshole to begin with.

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>