Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Do you wear hat under climbing helmet?

By Bang
From Charlottesville, VA
Jun 8, 2012
Thanks Hank Caylor!

I have seen folks wearing a cap under the helmet so the visor can block some sun. But normal cap is just too thick to be worn under the helmet. What do you use?

So far I have tried putting the bandana behind to cover the neck.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jun 8, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

You need Da Brimô

By Bang
From Charlottesville, VA
Jun 8, 2012
Thanks Hank Caylor!

Hey Stitch, this is the first time I know about the Da Brim. Definitely blocking a lot of sunlight, but the rim may be too big to look up. But it will certainly looks cool on the climb ;)

And John, I love the idea of a cycling cap. I am an avid cyclist. SO I think I will pick a cap up for both cycling and climbing soon!

By Finn the Human
From The Land of Ooo
Jun 8, 2012
Mathematical!

Stich wrote:
You need Da Brimô

Ahaha, I love that this is a thing. It ranks up there with the neck support for belayers that clips to your pants with suspenders.

On topic: No, I'm not a hat guy.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jun 8, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Da Brimô is the next big thing. Everyone on Supertopo is getting one.

By Bang
From Charlottesville, VA
Jun 8, 2012
Thanks Hank Caylor!

Does the back part of the rim bother you when you look up?

By David Rivers
Jun 8, 2012
East Beach bouldering

Golite race hats fit nicely under helmets as do OR hats with the removable Foreign Legion back piece. Only problem with the OR hats is that the soft headband allows it to be blown off in high winds. (Obviously when not wearing the helmet)

By James Crump
Jun 8, 2012

I had good success with 2 different types of hats under my helmet, or course I always climbed in a 1973 British Ultimate helmet that had a worn headband...

The first was a welders cap. It is designed to work with a welders mask, etc and has good depth, bill and is made of good heat absorbing cotton.

The second and used the longest was a cap from Bulla that had a neoprene brim and a drawstring at the back with a wooden toggle. Cool, Hawaiian, looked good on its own, etc.

Of course when it was cold I always used a low profile balaclava...

Evening Sun Buttress, Mount Overlord, Baffin Island
Evening Sun Buttress, Mount Overlord, Baffin Island

Welders Cap, Organ Mountains
Welders Cap, Organ Mountains

By Gunkiemike
Jun 8, 2012

I wear a baseball style cap from OR, and it fits easily under my 1st generation Petzl Meteor.

By MaraC
Jun 9, 2012
taking a break from climbing shoes before rapping off Arrow

One of my climbing partners wears a neoprene visor like one of these: browzon.com/. She swears by it. It's long enough to block out sun, but squishy enough that you can still stick your face in close to the rock or easily push the brim out of the way if you need to look up.

One is on the way to me as I type. I can report back once I test it out.

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Jun 9, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Browzon, eh? Sounds like a strong competitor to Da Brim.

Who will be da winner of this epic battle to shield necks from the sun?

By Bang
From Charlottesville, VA
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks Hank Caylor!

Stich wrote:
Browzon, eh? Sounds like a strong competitor to Da Brim. Who will be da winner of this epic battle to shield necks from the sun?

The Browzon is definitely more affordable than the Da Brim.

By JesseT
From Portland, OR
Jun 9, 2012
25' drop...wheeeeee!

The BrowZon can only shade the eyes OR the neck, not both at once. Its brim also looks a little short for proper neck protection. My vote is for Da Brim because it prevents da neck from getting da sunburn. Once they come out with the packable version I'm so in.

By Allen Corneau
From Houston, TX
Jun 9, 2012

DaBrim: $32.95

O-Ware brim: $8

... just sayin'...

By Ed Wright
Jun 9, 2012
Magic Ed

I use something similar to the Browzon called a Duck Bill--got it at a bike shop years ago--don't know if they are still on the market.

By talkinrocks
From Boulder, CO
Jun 9, 2012
Washburns Thumb.  Denali

I have this hat from Montbell that I wear under a helmet. Super light, cool, and nothing to poke the top of the head. Fits very well under the helmet and doesnt really impede vision. I have a much better color than this however.

montbell Zeo-line 3D Mesh Duck Cap
montbell Zeo-line 3D Mesh Duck Cap

in use on Castleton summit
in use on Castleton summit

By Bang
From Charlottesville, VA
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks Hank Caylor!

Allen Corneau wrote:
DaBrim: $32.95 O-Ware brim: $8 ... just sayin'...

The BRIM Wars!