Denver or Colorado Springs area for hiking?

By Fearless
Apr 29, 2012

I'm looking to buy a home in Colorado. Which area has the best hiking taking into consideration quality and quantity. I narrowed to Denver or Colorado Springs area because with those two areas I'm still close to civilization. My gauge for that is to be no more than 20 miles from a Costco.

By Woodchuck ATC
Apr 29, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

I'd pick Springs area anytime over Denver. Better life, and still only an hour or less to get to southern Denver open lands you might be interested in hiking. Just a CSp. fan for life.

By jmeizis
From Colorado Springs, CO
Apr 29, 2012
The Beginning of Mr. Clean (5.8) at the Barkeater Cliffs in Adirondack Park NY.

I live in C. Springs and my sister lives in Littleton (suburb of Denver) so I might be able to help you out.

Housing prices in the Springs are way, way better. I bought a house here a couple years ago (my first) as a short sale sure under a 100k. My sister can't seem to find anything close in size or condition for under 120k.

Climbing access in the Springs is ok. You've got easy access to Shelf, Devils Head, 11 mile and a lot of other Splatte areas. Getting to Boulder or Estes Park isn't bad either obviously not as easy as from parts of Denver but if you're heading west you don't have to deal with 70. I think that's a plus, some may disagree.

Night life/culture I think the Springs is not that great. Moving here from Boston via New York it's almost like a foreign country. If having lots of religious people around is unpleasant for you or you have strong opinions about the military or the people in it then you may have lots of awkward conversations involving people telling you about their belief in Jesus or to love it or leave it. Also, I don't know if it's because the news reports or what but the areas with more military seem to be the worst parts of town. That said there's a little variety. You've got some clubs and bars, not the same volume but they are there.

Hiking in the Springs is good. There are a lot of nice spots around town like Cheyenne Canyon if you're wanting to stay in shape and a lot of good stuff up Old Stage Rd. and on Pikes Peak which is pretty close. You're closer to some of the Southern 14ers and all the hiking near them. Denver is closer to the northern areas like RMNP and the Indian Peaks but there really isn't anything in the 10 minute drive category. Access to areas west is about the same as the Springs. Getting to Vail usually takes my sister almost as long as me and she's almost right at 70. So for the hiking I'd say C. Springs.

They're not that far apart though, my sister usually gets down here in about an hour. When I move I'll probably go to Golden because climbing is higher priority than hiking for me.If it wasn't I'd be more inclined to stay in the Springs.

By Fearless
Apr 29, 2012

I've been leaning towards Colorado Springs. The area looked a lot greener the last time I was there. I'm not thrilled about holy rollers though but I've gotten used to them where I live now, College Station, TX.

By Monty
From Golden, CO
Apr 29, 2012
Just a teaser

15-20mins west of Denver there are a lot of trails managed by Jefferson County Open Space ranging from urban parks to fairly remote (considering how close you are to the city still) where you can easily hike up to 12 miles in one park. These trails are also wonderfully maintained by the large trail crew that the county operates. They are also constantly cutting new trails on recently acquired land.

I'm not much for the city so I'll personally recommend looking into either Littleton or Lakewood although the Highlands Region of Denver is nice and located just outside of downtown proper. You may have good luck finding more affordable housing on the out skirts of that area.

By Old and Busted
From Centennial, CO
Apr 29, 2012
Stabby

There's proportionally more canyons to access the hills out of Denver, but then you have more people and after work driving sucks.

By JCM
From Golden, CO
Apr 29, 2012

By Woodchuck ATC
Apr 29, 2012
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

+1 on Woodland Park area near Springs.

By Bob Dobalina
Apr 29, 2012

They both sell medical marijuana, you know, if your into hiking and that kind of thing...

By Stich
From Colorado Springs, Colorado
Apr 29, 2012
Coffee after freezing our asses off near James Peak.

Typical Manitou Springs residents.

By JasonT
Apr 30, 2012
MS13 Training Arete

Stich, whenever you wanna start bouldering let me know....you seem like a character.

By Fearless
Apr 30, 2012

Jon Moen wrote:
If you choose C. Springs, live in Manitou. Nested up against the mountains, funky culture, and less holy rollers. You could even go up the hill a bit more to Woodland Park, which is a great little mountain town, but has easy access to Colorado Springs.

My top prospect was a house in Cascade but then the satellite map revealed it was right across the street from an amusement park.

By Step hen
From Fort Collins, CO
May 1, 2012
Boulder Canyon <br /> <br />photo by Curt

Fearless wrote:

I wouldn't worry about that. You can't see it from most parts of town. Sure, there's some tourist traffic in the area from the North Pole and Pike's Peak during the summer, but otherwise it's a quiet little town. But you should visit and form your own opinion.

If I were to return to the Springs (I grew up there), I would probably live on the west side. It's closest to the Garden (speaking of tourists) and not too far from Cheyenne Canyon. There's still easy access to Highway 24, Splatte, etc.

By Shane Neal
From Colorado Springs, CO.
May 7, 2012
Thunder

Fearless wrote:

Its nary an amusement park....lol. I mean it is...but nit what your thinking..lol.

Cascade is an awesome mountain setting & town. Anywhere up Ute Pass is.

As for the Springs/Denver area dilemma....Springs hands down, unless u need the big city. I'm an 18yr climbing veteran and the Springs area is the bomb for access, lifestyle and culture. & I have had no problems with Holley rollers or military.

Good luck. Feel free to contact me, I'll ans any questions I can.