Del Water Gap, Gunks, Rumney... 6/12-7/18

By Josh Sandry
From Las Cruces
May 17, 2009
RR

I'm a New Mexican climber originally from NJ. I'm coming home to Jersey from 6-12 thru 7-18 to do some climbing at the Del. Water Gap, Gunks and maybe Rumney with a few climbing friends from Philly. If anybody knows these areas and will be around, let me know. Always fun to have someone along who knows the routes! The dates are going to be a little flexible.
-Josh

By OliverS
From Las Vegas, NV
Jun 11, 2009
Climbing in Koh Tao, Thailand.

I am a climber from Las Vegas and visiting the Gunks from June 12-14. I lead a 5.9, but have virtually now experience with Trad gear (besides 2 classes I took and a 5.2 lead at Joshua Tree). I do have all my gear with me - including some trad stuff. Please let me know if you are interested in climbing with me. You can reach me on my cell phone at (702) 526-3253.

Oliver

By Aaron Pence
From Boulder, CO
Jun 11, 2009

Josh,

I'm originally from NJ too, but now live in Boulder. I've checked out the crags at the Water Gap and climbed a few routes there. Frankly, they sucked. So dirty, didn't take that good of gear, and pretty much a waste of an outing. There were a few climbs near Blairstown (technically part of the Water Gap, but not the main Gap area) that were pretty good. The name Ricks Rocks comes to mind, but that may not be right.

There's some cool bouldering in the Princeton area.

The area around NJ and PA I wish I checked out but never did is Ralph Stover State Park in PA. I think it's closer to Philly. I think this is where most guiding services take noobs out to. I remember the Falcon guide for the NY, NJ, PA area detailed a good bit of routes there that seemed good, and a variety of grades. Hope this helps, and if you go to Ralph Stover please post your thoughts on it. It'd be good to get a westerner's viewpoint. Back east they might think it's the shit, but compared to the quality rock and routes we have out West, they may just be a waste of time (like the Gap stuff).

In conclusion, I'd skip PA and NJ altogether, and go to the Gunks and Rumney if you have the time to drive.

Where in Jers are you from?

By E thatcher
From Plymouth/ North Conway (NH)
Jun 11, 2009
First ascent of the metal arches in my school library...Holderness School

Aaron Pence wrote:
Josh, Back east they might think it's the shit, but compared to the quality rock and routes we have out West, they may just be a waste of time (like the Gap stuff).

Rough words! Report back on the grades to, everything may seem a bit stiff out here compared to colorado :)

By Chris Duca
From Havertown, PA
Jun 11, 2009
Finishing up Elusive Dream at the King Wall.  Adirondacks, NY.

Harsh words spoken from someone that didn't mention the Adirondacks, North Conway, or the other 10 gagillion climbing areas aside from the Gunks, Rumney and the DWG. Perhaps bouldering is your shtick, perhaps it's not. Regardless, The Adirondacks and North Conway, NH are great, great, GREAT areas to check out. You want stellar trad climbs?--Check. You want great sport climbs?--Check. You want a little peace and quiet?--Check. You want pebbles to wrestle with?--Check.

I, too, grew up in PA, and, though the rope routes are less than desireable the bouldering at Mt. Gretna, and Haycock Mt. are phenomenal. Ralph Stover, though, fun, can get old...fast.

Just my two cents.

By Paul Shultz
From Hudson, Ma
Jun 11, 2009
Me! <br /> <br />

I've heard the water gap is a waste and depending on where you'll be in good ole jersey, the gunks is equal distance.

Don't waste your energy at stover either. Although it's a real love it or hate it type of place, its pretty polished and not FUN to climb on.

Check out some places in NH, you'll be doing yourself a big favor.

Which part of jersey are you from? North or South?

By Aaron Pence
From Boulder, CO
Jun 11, 2009

North Jersey, here.

Agreed, I think the grades are tougher than say Boulder Canyon, with known rating inflations.

I didn't mention the Adirondacks or North Conway b/c 1) I don't know anything about them and 2) those weren't the areas he asked about.

I wasn't trying to step on toes with the "back east" comment. I was just pretty let down that the Falcon guide pumped these areas as good climbing, but is only good compared to the rest of the climbing around (which = 0).

By Paul Shultz
From Hudson, Ma
Jun 12, 2009
Me! <br /> <br />

Good to see your not one of those folks (my roommate) who are in complete denial that they are from central jersey, seeing as it doesn't exist...