decent hard trad routes

By Matty H
Jul 25, 2012
Top of pear buttress

Hey Ive been trying to find some good trad routes along the front range. Any suggestions? I really like the look of Naked Kill 5.12d at stumbling block, clear creek canyon... just a straight crack and slightly overhung, but its a little out of my range. A lot of the routes I've done on trad recently had a slab that you can break ankles on really easily. Ive also done Alpine, and its good and all, but not what I'm looking for. Any super stellar lines you guys know of.... that you would be willing to share?

By Tony B
From Around Boulder, CO
Jul 25, 2012

What *IS* your range?

By Coppolo
From Denver, CO
Jul 25, 2012
Sunrise in Stevens gulch

Theres a pretty cool place north of Clear Creek and south of Boulder called Eldorado Canyon. I've heard it has some fairly good trad lines. Not much beta out there on it though.

Good Luck!

By Steve Williams
From Denver, CO
Jul 26, 2012

This
This

By Brent Apgar
From Out of the Loop
Jul 26, 2012
Me and Spearhead

If that's the case you definitely need to start by defining "decent" and "hard"... cause I would say that 12+ qualifies as hard, but apparently that's too hard.

By GabeO
From Denver, CO
Jul 26, 2012

From the OP's personal page:

Trad: Leads 5.10a Follows 5.11d

So to answer your question - yes there are, lots! Many many great hard trad routes on the front range. Unfortunately, you're not strong enough to climb them... at least not yet.

Perhaps you would like suggestions for moderate trad lines on the front range?

GO

By slim
Jul 26, 2012
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.

can you give a grade range you are looking at? i'm sure folks can come up with a good tick list if you narrow it down a bit.

By Chris Plesko
From Westminster, CO
Jul 28, 2012
OMG, I winz!!!

Maybe this?
www.mountainproject.com/v/supremacy-crack/105751363

By s.price
From PS,CO
Jul 28, 2012
 Morning Dew ,self portrait

Dean's Day Off, Indepedence Pass. Don't let the 12 rating fool you, it's a stout 12 IMO. Not really FR but close enough and worth the trip.

By Mike McKinnon
From Golden, CO
Jul 30, 2012
Bunny pancake

Matty H wrote:

Eldo? Ever heard of it.

Naked Edge
Super Slab
Outer Space
Northwest Corner
Rincon
Point Break (has some bolts)
Grandmothers Challenge
Rosy Crucifixion

If those are too hard:
Rewritten
Bastille
Long John Wall
Yellow Spur
Green Spur

This is such a senseless question I am wondering right now if I just fed a troll?

By slim
Jul 30, 2012
tomato, tomotto, kill mike amato.

let's assume that 12a is the baseline of hard trad climbing. if that's the case, probably the fisher-price-my-first-hard-trad-route would be thunderdome in boulder canyon, or maybe arms bazaar (although a bolt protects the crux). roadrunner in clear creek might be a good option if you live in golden.