Current weather conditions for camping around Rose Canyon

By Ryu
Feb 14, 2011

Hello,

I'll be visiting Mt. Lemmon this coming weekend and would like some info on camping (too cold?) around Rose canyon or other crags around Windy Point. I know Rose canyon campground is closed, I wanted to do wilderness camping. Any tips, suggestions, concerns are welcome.

Thank you.

By Dan Cucci
Feb 14, 2011

Depends what too cold is for you. I was just there yesterday and there is still standing snow in spots, making the hike down the hill to Munchkinland a bit treacherous. It was plenty warm in the sun, but we are in a warm spell and it is supposed to cool down again for next weekend. There is also possible snow/rain in the forecast Thursday-Sunday. At that elevation, with the forecast, it will likely be 30 or colder at night and around 50 during the day.

You can always camp lower if you want to be warmer.

Tucson Weather

By Ryu
Feb 14, 2011

Dan, thank you for the quick reply. Very helpful. Do you know what other approaches are a bit treacherous to get to? My main area of interests were the Rupleys towers and a few other places in Bear Canyon. Thank you!

By ryan dillon
From Tucson, AZ.
Feb 14, 2011
guardian of owl rock

Ryu,

If those are your destinations that you are looking to climb at you might want to consider camping down at the Hitchcock campground, Molino Basin, Prison Camp (I believe there is an extra fee to camp at the last 2). The approaches in the areas your looking to climb are 5 to 10 minutes tops. The weather should be good to since it has warmed up here. Hope this helps you out some.

Ryan

By Ryu
Feb 14, 2011

Ryan,

Thank you for the suggestions. I will look into those campgrounds. Hopefully this weekend won't be too crowded.

Cheers,

Ryu

By Alex McIntyre
From Tucson, AZ
Feb 14, 2011

Windy Point and lower were both really hot the last two days when I was up there running. It shouldn't be a problem climbing-wise. As for camping I am not sure. In October I camped in the parking lot for the Summit Crags, if that helps.

By Ryu
Feb 15, 2011

Thanks Alex! One more question if I may, the forecast for this coming weekend is not looking good. Are there any area on Mt. Lemmon or elsewhere that would still be ok for climbing in case of rain? Thank you all for the help!