Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Cross reference chart for cam sizes?

By Hiro
From Boulder, CO
Jul 4, 2012
Ouray Ice Park <br />Pick o' the Vic?

Any good resources out there for interpreting the various sizes of cams past and present?? In particular for easing interpretation of gear recommendations here and in the guides.

Use cases:
1) Book says gear to 1.5". Which C4 and Heliums reach this size?
2) Book says rack to 2.5 Camalot (i.e. old sizing), which C4/Helium covers that?
3) Anytime I want to do a quick conversion from C4 to Helium estimate.
4) IC route needs lots of #1s, which Helium(s) would I grab to supplement?

I Googled and found reasonable charts for cams of the past, but they didn't have data for the current generation of gear. In any case, I can imagine a nice chart that has both graphic representations of the overlaps & conversions and the numerical data.

By Julius Beres
From Boulder, CO
Jul 4, 2012
Rewritten

www.blackdiamondequipment.com/uploads/black-diamond/media/ca>>>

Chart comparing old (odd sized) and new C4 camalots.

The intro to the Indian Creek guide book has an excellent chart listing all the cam sizes for specific widths (uses older BD cam sizes rather than new C4s, but you can convert with the chart above.)

If it says you need lots of 1s at the creek, it probably mean wild country 1s, since creek guides usually give sizes in friends.

By FrankPS
From Atascadero, CA
Jul 4, 2012

The Supertopo guide books have a cam cross reference chart in them.

By FreeRangeHuman
From safari van
Jul 4, 2012

Friends are basically sized on the inches. So 1 friend is about 1".

BD sizes are a bit different, check out the Indian creek book or most supertopo books for the best charts

If you're just starting out and scared to bring the wrong gear, just bring more. It'll keep you safe and get you making your own decisions on gear.

Many times the guidebooks gear rccommdations are pretty generic or just flat out wrong. Beware.

By SeanG81
Jul 4, 2012
Triassic

www.summitpost.org/size-matters-a-gear-comparison/694359

By wufpak18
From Raleigh, NC
Jul 4, 2012
Grayson Highlands State Park

Maybe this helps....

Cam sizing
Cam sizing

By Crag Dweller
From New York, NY
Jul 4, 2012
My navigator keeps me from getting lost

It's a little easier to view as a pdf.

By Taylor Jenkins
Jul 4, 2012

This is a little out of date but it includes some of the lesser known and older brands.

www.clydesoles.com/Front/Camsbrand.html

By wufpak18
From Raleigh, NC
Jul 4, 2012
Grayson Highlands State Park

Crag Dweller wrote:
you can find the chart that wufpak posted here: info.rockrun.com/cam-size-comparison-chart.html It's a little easier to view as a pdf.

Good call. I just saved the pdf when I found it online so I didn't quite remember where I had found it

By bearbreeder