Crags with Cell Reception

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Feb 14, 2014
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

I was reading the recent post about cell phone dead zones, and was reminded of something that I need to find out. Maybe others need this info too.

I recently accepted a job that will require on call shifts. Any climbers out there with on call climbing practice care to share their list of front range climbing crags with good cell reception?

One requirement for me is that the areas should be about 30 min driving distance from the DTC. But maybe a comprehensive list in general would be helpful for others.

Is this something that could or should be added to the MP page for climbing areas? Maybe not. Just a thought.

Thanks in advance.

I'm gonna die.

By Jay Eggleston
From Littleton
Feb 14, 2014
Berlin

All of Clear Creek canyon is good.

By Abram Herman
From Golden, CO
Feb 14, 2014
Viking helmet cover, yep.

^ I'm not sure about *all* of CCC, I don't think I had reception at Primo Wall but I could be wrong.

Table Mountain has reception, but of course, then you'd have to climb Table Mountain. If you do, I'd recommend the Quarry area for smaller crowds and less-polished rock.

Lover's Leap up 285 has cell service and a few fun routes.

That's all that immediately comes to mind...

By JCM
From Golden, CO
Feb 14, 2014

The cell service in Earth Treks is great...

Otherwise, North Table fits the bill well, aside from the obvious mediocrity. Morrison should have good service too, but still, there is the mediocrity issue. Generally good cell service in the Flatirons, but that is probably outside of your driving distance range. Many crags in CCC have service, but that may depend on your carrier and your exact position within the canyon. You'll probably just have to drive up there to know for certain. What about Castlewood?

Despite what people like to think about the proximity of Denver to climbing, there really is very little available within 30 minutes of the DTC. Even most CCC crags are a bit outside that radius.

By Jay Eggleston
From Littleton
Feb 14, 2014
Berlin

Primo Wall does have service.

By Jon Zucco
From Denver, CO
Feb 14, 2014
yaak crack Red Rock Canyon, NV

Castlewood Canyon would probably work. I usually have service there. I've honestly never been to Morrison for climbing, I'll give it a shot though. I think I may be stuck with those or the gym in terms of proximity. CCC seems like it may be a little far, though some of the approaches are short enough to win out over table.

By Leo Paik
From Westminster, Colorado
Feb 18, 2014

Much of Eldorado Canyon, much of the Flatirons, Elephant Rocks/Dome in Boulder Canyon, Castlewood Canyon, Mickey Mouse get reception.

By Jon Lachelt
From Fort Collins, CO
Feb 20, 2014

Jurassic Park (at Lily Lake, Estes Park) has reception... of course that doesn't fit your distance criterion, but like you said maybe other people would find it useful.