Crags in J-tree that don't require lead climbing to set anchor for TR?

By Daniel Evans
From Twentynine Palms, CA
Mar 27, 2013

Looking for any routes in Joshua Tree Nat. Park ranging 5.6 - 5.9 that I'd be able to scramble to the top fairly easily to set an anchor for top roping. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

By Brian in SLC
Mar 27, 2013
Climbing in Smuggler's Notch

Daniel Evans wrote:

Define, "scramble to the top fairly easy". Ha ha.

Gobs of formations have 5.1 to 5.5 routes, below your grade range, that you could "scramble" up to set an anchor.

If you take a gander at the guidebook, some of the down climb locations are indicated. I'd check those out. Take care, some of that stuff is fairly exposed...

By frankstoneline
Mar 27, 2013

Thin wall in the real hidden valley comes to mind.

By John Wilder
From Las Vegas, NV
Mar 27, 2013

There's a guidebook- Great or Classic climbs in Jtree 5.9 and under (i cant remember the exact name)- has good beta on all sorts of moderate climbs, and i believe it describes if a climb is accessible for TR.

One thing to keep in mind- lead climbing in Jtree is normal for most folks, so be sure to check the crag and have spotters before throwing down your rope on a climb. Any popular lines will be busy and have people wanting to get on them.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
Mar 27, 2013
OTL

www.mountainproject.com/v/ideas-for-walk-up-topropes-jtnp-/1>>>

By Dave Von Behren
Mar 27, 2013

Thin Wall mountainproject.com/v/the-thin-wall/105720750

Atlantis Wall mountainproject.com/v/atlantis-wall/105720669

Both common TR areas. Atlantis wall is easier to set up, as there are large slingable boulders on top.

get to the parking for atlantis wall early, it gets busy.

By Jack Mullen
From Oceanside CA
Apr 7, 2013

When I was first getting started in climbing this was a little crag that we frequented, pretty easy walk up with bolts to set a toprope. Its also got a few much more difficult climbs on it if you decide you want more of a challenge.
www.mountainproject.com/v/pixie-rock/105720658