couloir/snow climbs in southeast
   Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>

By george wilkey
From travelers rest sc
Dec 8, 2013
me

I know chances are slim but I'm missing Colorado.

By Jon H
From Northern NJ
Dec 8, 2013
At the matching crux

Hahahahahaha

By 5.samadhi
Dec 8, 2013
me

heh good one george

By Stephen Scoff
From Columbia, South Carolina
Dec 8, 2013

I'm always amused by the folly of the ignorant... :)

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Dec 8, 2013

I'm always amused by the folly of the ignorant... :)

staring the scoffenator, carvin' marvin, and ginger woolfe. If it freezes they will come

By shannon stegg
Dec 9, 2013

Hey Stephen, is that your new route near Celo?

By shannon stegg
Dec 9, 2013

People would not appear ignorant if you crazy Carolina Climbers would be more freindly with your info!

By Meme Guy
From Land of Runout Slab
Meme guy

Didn't watch the videos so he may have posted what I'm refer ring to but there's some decent ice that forms off the parkway in allegheny county right above doughton park I believe. There was an article on the front page of the news paper back in 2007/2008? About an iice climber who died and the subsequent body recovery.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC

Meme Guy wrote:

Are you speaking of Ralph Fickel...a great loss to the NC community. I met him briefly in greenville about a month before his death. Genuinely sorry to not have gotten to known him better during our brief meeting.

There is some stuff off 215 as well but i'm not sure how access is in the winter as i've only been up there trudging in the back woods in the summer

By Meme Guy
From Land of Runout Slab
Meme guy

rock_fencer wrote:

Yes, a very very sad day for NC.

By Jonathan Dull
From NC High County
Edge of a Dream

Grandfather Mountain has A LOT of potential alpine climbing. But we all know that is HIGHLY illegal. They would probably hang you with your rope from the Mile High Swinging Bridge and throw your tools at your for fun.

By Emil Briggs

Jonathan Dull wrote:

Now that it's a state park I wonder if a more climber friendly management plan could be worked out eventually. Besides ice possibilities I recall seeing tons of bouldering potential there.

By Jonathan Dull
From NC High County
Edge of a Dream

Emil Briggs wrote:

I pretty much live on Grandfather Mountain (off 221) and have been exploring the area for years. I don't think it would be a stretch to say that; no other "single" mountain in the Appalachian Mountains has more volume of bouldering and rock climbing that that of Grandfather Mountain. There is a lifetime of very high quality bouldering and climbing (not listed in guidebooks) off 221. The issue with Grandfather is it so protected. It's not only protected by North Carolina, but it is also protected by the United Nations. It is an International Biosphere Reserve, of which only 500 or so exists on the planet. And much of the stuff below 221 is on private property. The boundary pretty much starts at anything above (in elevation) of HWY 221, which is also where there is an extremely high concentration of climbing; ice, multi-pitch, snow, bouldering, rock, etc.. In a way I really wish we could climb on all this, but it would also be a circus and jeopardize a lot of endangered species, some of which have only been observed on Grandfather Mountain and nowhere else on the planet.

As far as a climber friendly management plan is concerned, it's not even a remote possibility.

www.grandfather.com/conservation_interpretation/biosphere_re>>>

By george wilkey
From travelers rest sc
me

having lived in the southeast most of my life, I anticipated the mockery when I posted this thread. both for the personalities of people from the southeast(we don't need much reason to mock someone) and for the obvious folly of my question. but, since my crampons haven't tasted ice or snow in three years I thought it was worth a shot.

boy, that sounded corny even to me.

By Jonathan Dull
From NC High County
Edge of a Dream

george wilkey wrote:
maybe someone knows of some secret spot in the smokies where a man can strap on the fangs and sink his axe into a 60 degree slope headed for some high and lofty summit! boy, that sounded corny even to me.

I believe I've heard of some people doing some snow climbs in the Amphibolite Mountains of North Carolina. Mostly due to their steep nature and higher elevation. We haven't received enough snow for this yet.

By courthouse
Dec 9, 2013

NC gully routes; PM me and I will be glad to help you find some gully climbs. I can give you Shannon Stegg and Michael Cowder's phone numbers and e-mail address (they both know a lot more areas than I do)

Celo knob (see pictures): 4 routes

Celo

Celo close up
Celo close up

By Meme Guy
From Land of Runout Slab
Meme guy

It also depends on how harsh of a winter we get. I remember winters where we didn't hardly get an inch of snow. Then there were winters where the little Highschool shits didn't go to school for the entire month of February because of so much snow and ice, felt bad for them when they were making up snow days all the way into fucking JULY!

By george wilkey
From travelers rest sc
me

with all the rain we've had this year it should be a good ice year. I see water running in places where it hasn't run in many years. if it will only stay cold! snow before thanksgiving was a good sign , I think.

By courthouse
Dec 9, 2013

ps. to rock_fencer; Ralph didn't bite it on a gulley (he was too solid a guy), I'm pretty sure he was soloin on big daddy and it came down on him. I think it was late season hero ice. (I remember Shannon calling me with the news, there was a early spring storm and we were surfing at the time)

By courthouse
Dec 9, 2013

George, The guys who "laugh" or don't "share route information" are not the people you want climb with. These people don't have a problem with beta, route info or climbing, their problem is with themselves.
Please know, there are climbers who will do anything to help you and make climbing better, for everyone (not just themselves).

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Dec 9, 2013

Courthouse. Your right. Ralph was out soloing on some ice when it collapsed. I brought it up because that was who meme guy was referring to.

By Stephen Scoff
From Columbia, South Carolina
Dec 9, 2013

Crescent on Celo has already been done this season and will surely come in again soon! George, I just sent you a PM.

By Meme Guy
From Land of Runout Slab
Dec 11, 2013
Meme guy

Spot on parkway i was talking about:

BIGDADDY:

www.panoramio.com/photo/87151024?source=wapi&referrer=kh.goo>>>

www.coolclimbing.com/ncice2.htm

By The Blueprint Part Dank
Dec 12, 2013
Bohemian grove

george wilkey wrote:
anyone know of any good couloir or snow climbs in the southeast? if so, when are they typically in good condition? I know chances are slim but I'm missing Colorado.

"GOOD couloir or snow climbs"

Hell, I can count the number of those in Colorado on one hand. Dragons Tail Couloir, Dead Dog Couloir, the Loft and...

Definitely nothing more than contrived experiences available in most places. ESPECIALLY the SE

By RadDawg
From NE, GA
Dec 12, 2013
Sunrise over Cashiers valley

So is the Sam's Knob route listed above the one that goes up flat laurel creek?

By ze_dirtbag
From TBD
Dec 12, 2013
cottonmouth

I'm always amused by the folly of the ignorant... :)

let's hear more about this "alpine ice"

Page 1 of 2.  1  2   Next>   Last>>