conditions at jacks now?

By md3
Aug 8, 2013
Is it buggy?

By James Willis
From Gilbert, AZ/Evanston, IL
Aug 18, 2013
I had a friend go, do one climb, and come out with around 100 mosquito bites. So yes.

By JD Kendall
From Winslow, AZ
Aug 19, 2013
I was there about 2 weeks ago and it was bad... but a friend of mine was just there this past Friday night and they couldn't even get out of their car and were swarmed by them... say thanks to the folks who unnecessarily cut down all the trees after the fire and caused the log jams and now the standing water in the canyon which has made them much worse this season.

By Red
From Arizona
Aug 19, 2013
Cobra Kai
JD Kendall wrote:
I was there about 2 weeks ago and it was bad... but a friend of mine was just there this past Friday night and they couldn't even get out of their car and were swarmed by them... say thanks to our great AZ Forest Service!

I'm missing the connection between AZFS and bugs. Can you clarify that, Joe?

By BenClimbing
Aug 19, 2013
I thought it was pretty clear.

They have conspired to keep the evil humans out of the pristine and fragile forest by bio-engineering a species of super-mosquito that reproduces at 10 times the normal rate and can only consume the blood of primates.

Duh.

By lou
Aug 19, 2013
Whitney portal.....bony fingers
No wait... the folks at the forest service have absolutely nothing else to do but poison the ecosystem and make it so toxic that no mosquito can breed anywhere in the area. Guess with all budget cuts, sequesters, forest fires, forest patrols for campfire morons, regulation duties of hundreds of square miles in Arizona they have lots of free time. And nothing to do but watch Jacks canyon for pests. What about the pack rats at camp? The skunks eating my dog food? That bat that flew out of the crack at high life wall when i stuck my hand in a crux crack? Come on forest service jerks. After all we pay them with our tax dollars.. and plenty ,,, they live a life of luxury. Seems like climbing is just too dirty and filled with bugs... wait.. this is from the same guy the wanted a ladder built down into winslow wall!! hmmmmmm kind of a noob brain going on... should take up golf where he doesnt have to get too hot or cold and can have the course sprayed for his comfort!!

climb safe.. be a man

cheers.. lou

By JD Kendall
From Winslow, AZ
Aug 19, 2013
Red see edit...

By Chris Horton
From Tucson AZ
Aug 31, 2013
Awesomeness!
Any new beta on this? I'm guessing it hasn't changed. Anyone been out there?

By Cuba
From PHX, AZ
Sep 12, 2013
Top of P2 of Regular Route on Sunnyside Bench, Yos...
Yea I'm curious about the current mosquito population at jacks as well??? Thinking about going this weekend.
Anybody climb there recently??

By JD Kendall
From Winslow, AZ
Sep 12, 2013
I was there on Sunday... it had just stopped flowing. Casino was very muddy... main wall was flooded... you had to wade through mud/ water to get to swiss wall... so cracker jack was the only dry spot. Mosquitoes are definitely an issue... take a lot of Deet and I personally take those big repellant incense sticks.

By JRivers
From Flagstaff, Arizona
Sep 13, 2013
Did they seriously cut down the logs and throw them in the channel??? Not only does this cause climbers discomfort because of mosqitous, now kayakers will have a log garden to get through... awesome

By drewp
Jun 3, 2014
woop
Has anybody been recently? How are the bugs / is it too hot yet?

Thanks.

By ChadMartino
Jun 3, 2014
Topout on the Island
Hey Drew i was there last Wednesday and still had a good time. Got pretty damn hot in the sun and the gnats were bad but we chased the shade all day and managed to stay relatively cool and bug free. The Swiss wall was ended up being the best spot to avoid the sun for me that day.

By Elias
From Flagstaff, AZ
Jun 7, 2014
Was there yesterday,

Gnats are going wild, its hot in the sun, considerably humid for N.AZ standards, and the flys and mosquitos were out, even at the campground. Oh, and there is a group of 4+ massive trailers full of boy scouts camped out at the Moenkopi campground, so beware.

Happy clambering.

Elias

By Austin P
Jun 8, 2014
The boy scouts left Saturday morning. I only noticed the gnats and mosquitoes around casino wall and it wasn't too hot if you chase shade.

By drewp
Jun 12, 2014
woop
How's the road in? Do you need 4wd/clearance? The Jacks Canyon page is a little vague in that regard.

Thanks!

By guy bon
Jun 13, 2014
yup...
the road is ok. you can get out there in just about anything. Temps are fine in the shade & the bugs are pretty mild ATM.

By Chase E
Jun 16, 2014
Just to let you know, there was a fire at the Jack's Canyon campground on 6/14 (I believe it has been put out). I believe the climbing area is closed until further notice...