Route Guide - iPhone / Android - Partners - Forum - Photos - Deals - What's New
Concerning boulders located on BLM Land.....

By Skat B
From Down Rodeo
Mar 21, 2013
St George

Quick question: Can you take boulders from BLM land to put in your yard and/or sell them to other people?

Yes, this is a serious question I've had for a few years. And I swear in Climbing Magazine they used to have a business in the classifieds section that could transport to your house - because, seriously, who wouldn't like their own boulder in their back yard??

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Mar 21, 2013

Why glue or chip a boulder on BLM land when you can just take the whole thing? rad.

By FrankPS

An epiphany!

here why don't I do that for you, OP

By Adam Winters
From the Shire
Mar 21, 2013
Red-tail Hawk, Buttermilks

how many Chinook helicopters do you think it would take to lift the Grandpa Peabody?

By Eric Wydeven
From austin, tx
Mar 21, 2013

I'm concerned here. Not for today, but deep into the future when some new civilization digs us up and attempts to understand our/their geologic history. They won't know how to make sense of these weird erratics strewn about in random locations,

Seriously though, how much to get one down to Texas?

By Skat B
From Down Rodeo
Mar 22, 2013
St George

okay, so I would have to pay a fee and get a BLM Permit for anything over 250 lbs. Translation: Pick the biggest boulder you can transport to make the fee and permit worth the trouble.

And here's where the Chinooks come in: "The CH-47F can fly at speeds of over 175 mph (282 km/h) with a payload of more than 21,000 lb (9.5 tons)." Granite weighs approximately 165 pounds per cubic foot and Grandpa Peabody is 55 ft high. I don't know the math but I'll estimate that at least 4 Chinooks will be needed to get that boulder in your backyard. And not only is this a big boulder. It's a big boulder with three established sick problems:

(1) Jason Kehl's "Evilution" V12
(2) Paul Robinson's "Lucid Dreaming" V16
(2) Kevin Jorgensen's "Ambrosia" V11

You'll be the envy of all your friends and the entire climbing community throughout the world will want to kill you. So you will need to protect your investment by erecting a tall fence with lots of barbed wire on top, a guard tower with a sniper, and a patrol of guard dogs constantly walking around the fence.

By Skat B
From Down Rodeo
Mar 22, 2013
St George

But, seriously guys, no one but me remembers a company that would bring like a 10 ft boulder to your house? They used to advertise in Climbing Magazine.

By David Sahalie
From on the road again
Mar 22, 2013

Nope, don't remember that. But I am thinking that Utah has way stronger weed than I give credit for.

By Garret Nuzzo-Jones
From Salt Lake City, UT
Mar 22, 2013
Cleaning up in Jenny Lake.

Adam Winters wrote:

Could change the angle on it too! Make those Vhards on the side into Veasy! "Yeah I climbed Lucid Dreaming, it's like a V2 now at best."

By Daniel Winder
Mar 22, 2013

{[(4/3)╥27.5]*165}/21000= 685 Chinooks.

What's the point of this again?

By Micahisaac
From Longmont, CO
Mar 22, 2013
soloing Boulder Canyon Upper Falls

Maybe you can convince your local museum of contemporary art to transport it for you.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rUkH3pTzhI8

Levitated Mass Wiki

By J1.
From Boulder, Colorado
Mar 23, 2013
Towliee

Daniel Winder wrote:
{[(4/3)╥27.5]*165}/21000= 685 Chinooks. What's the point of this again?

That is if half the Chinooks dont crash and burn in the process of transporting the boulder..Lol..

By Davis Stevenson
From Flagstaff, Arizona
Mar 23, 2013
Following up a new route out in the Mojave Desert.  Info coming soon maybe?  Fun 5.10 hands and fingers.

Why not take a 3D image of the boulder and have someone replicate it in textured urethane?

Seems more convenient and cheaper than 685 chinooks.

By Robert Cort
Mar 23, 2013

The real issue here is that if you take the boulder off of BLM land and put it in your yard, then you have removed the boulder from availability to all, and limited it to yourself. IMHO, if it's a nice boulder leave it for all to enjoy.

By BackCountry
From West Point, UT
Mar 23, 2013
Whaaaat?

What happens when you're bored of that one very expensive boulder after only 3 weeks? Wouldn't it be better to build something that you could set different problems on, for far less money?

By Skat B
From Down Rodeo
Mar 23, 2013
St George

685 Chinooks!?!? I think I'll pass and just leave Grandpa Peabody alone for everyone to enjoy! Yeah it would be awesome to build a structure to climb on with boulder problems I set. The thing is I know nothing about building a wall to boulder on. Any ideas? Cuz the manufactured walls I've looked at are like $17,000 - $40,000, which is WAY above my price range. What would be the best way to build a bouldering wall? Btw, I don't think the military even has 685 Chinooks.

By tenesmus
Mar 23, 2013

I'll bite.

I've looked into it a little and its super expensive to haul it. There are a ton of 4-6' glacial erratic boulders in a vacant lot off 300 west either just north or south of 33rd south. I think one of the rock companies owns them. they would surely be able to haul one like that to your yard. But usually when they move those they inherently break the climbable features. So you'd end up with a big granite rock in you yard that you wouldn't be able to do much with.
What I'd love is one of those weird spherical rocks I saw off one of the spurs off the Moore Cutoff Road in the Swell...

By Brad Caldwell
From Deep in the Jocassee Gorges
Mar 24, 2013

Check out the Metolius website for all the info and downloadable pamphlets on building a good bouldering wall. Its relatively inexpensive and easy to do. I've built my last few walls outside under the back porch so it can be covered and used in rain and it takes advantage of steep area under the steps too. Cost me less than$100 to build and I bought a lot of my holds off of the local gym when they got a whole bunch of new holds...averaged about $2 each without the hardware. Good for training, but there's still nothing like getting on real rock so I usually only use it to train...climbing plastic gets old quick for me too.