Cody, WY lodging suggestions?

By MaryBeth
Dec 17, 2011
hiking around granite boulders

Any one have suggestions for hotels/ cabins in Cody that are cheap and (preferably) don't suck? I'll be climbing there around Christmas.

I heard something about a climber ranch/ hostel, but the number was disconnected when I tried to call. Anyone have info about that?

Thanks!
MB

By Yagi
From Fort Collins, CO
Dec 17, 2011

I think you're probably referring to Bison Willy's Base Camp. Bad news - it's closed.

I don't know your budget, but there are some cheaper hotels on the west end of town. There's nothing super expensive in Cody in the winter, seeing as how the east entrance to the park is seasonally closed, and it's cold and windy as shit in the winter. Sissies from other places don't like that stuff, and it helps keep the rates low.

Good luck.

By Jim Amidon
Dec 18, 2011
What ??

Cody Hotels can be pricy around the holidays, the Bear Inn or some thing like that on the west end of town is now I believe the cheapest lodging.....

Make sure and hit the cafe across the street, "Our Place" dine to load up before heading into the valley.......

The Flying H ranch offered lodging last year but the price was better if you had 4 or more....

J~

By Kevin Craig
Dec 18, 2011
KC on Fields (medium).  Photo (c) Doug Shepherd

From what I've heard, the Flying H isn't offering lodging this year. I don't know if it was sold or what, but a friend said the numbers were disconnected. I've stayed at the Comfort Inn which is just after the big bend as you come into town. I recall reasonable rates and a good breakfast included. I've talked to climbers who have stayed at the Big Bear across from the aforementioned Our Place diner, and they said it was a good place. I also second the recommendation for Our Place for a good, traditional and cheap breakfast (the coffee kinda sucks though). Good folks.

Good news is that some folks are working on new lodging opportunities out in the valley. Still very early in the discussions, but keep your fingers crossed.

By bob branscomb
From Lander, WY
Dec 19, 2011

The Irma isn't too expensive and it's near The Silver Dollar bar (which is, surprisingly, an okay place for women to go and not be excessively hassled) and walking distance of Grandma's for breakfast.

You can camp at Deer Creek Cmpground in S Fork as well, though it can be a bit brutal when it gets cold. Saves a 1/2 hr drive though in the morning.

By MaryBeth
Dec 27, 2011
hiking around granite boulders

Thanks for your suggestions! Stayed at the Big Bear Inn and camped at Deer Creek 2 nights each, both worked out great. Had a drink at the Silver Dollar and wasn't hassled :) and sure, the coffee at Our Place sucks, but what do you expect from a $.25 cup?

The weather was beautiful, the climbs were epic, and the ice was fat!

By dante kleinman
From Denali National Park, AK
Dec 29, 2011
Climbing

Why not build an igloo, or set up a wall tent or maybe a teepee with wood fire.

Ngrybeaver

By Wyatt H
From Casper, Wy
Dec 29, 2011

Not usually enough snow in all the south fork to build an igloo. Hotels are cheaper than teepees and wall tents.

By Jaaron Mankins
From Bayfield, CO
Jan 31, 2014
San Juans.

Update for lodging in the South Fork Valley. Bison Willy's old bunkhouse is under new ownership and they have fixed the place up a bit:

Matt Dzialak
Double Diamond X Ranch
3453 Southfork Road
(307)587-5252 (DDX Ranch Office)
(307)399-8816 (Matt's Cellphone-text is best)

Matt seemed like a great guy, so let's support him if you can! $40/night per person.