Climbing/Climbers near Humboldt State

By J.J
Feb 19, 2011

Anyone climb near Humboldt? Anybody go to Humboldt that's on here? 99% sure I'll be going to the school next academic year and I don't know anyone up there or what there is to climb. I know the school has a gym but that's the extent of my knowledge. Can anyone help me out?

By Brendan Higgins
Feb 21, 2011

I'm in the same boat as you. I've heard moonstone beach is cool, the gym at the school is pretty small, I'm getting stoked reading about all the routes on here though. see you next year

By J.J
Mar 2, 2011

BBBUUUMMMMPPP, I applied for housing, its pretty legit now.

Someone has gotta have the knowledgable knowledge about the hopefully existent climbing scene up there!

Brenden-Lets climb up there! Worst case: I find out nothing beforehand but learn everything there is to know from the hopefully existent Humboldt climbers! Im debating whether to bring my rack up there right away.

By Chris Collins
From Quincy, California
Mar 3, 2011

Check out or purchase the following excellent guidebook: California Road Trip: A Climber's Guide to Northern California, by Tom Slater and Chris Summit. Has a chapter that covers most of the climbing in the area (coastal as well as inland). There's also a much more local guidebook that might still be in print. The best retail shop to check on this and for further climbing info/gear is Adventure's Edge(Arcata and Eureka). You'll love the routes and bouldering up there - suprisingly abundant, diverse and in scenic settings.

By J.J
Mar 4, 2011

Thanks!!

By Rick Shull
From Arcata, CA & Dyer,NV
Mar 30, 2011
Grip strength training, Nevada style.

Lots of climbing in the Humboldt, Trinity, Del Norte region. The scene has grown quite a bit in the last 5 years with several new areas found and additions to existing crags. Land of the Lost has one of its crags in the current guide book. It is one of the closest areas to Arcata that has routes to lead. There are about 40 routes ranging from 5.5-12c. There is also a gym called Far North where you can get beta and meet partners.

By jon vandub
From westminster,co
Mar 30, 2011

yes there is climbing here!!!
but...the gym is small and the ratings are kinda flat...
there is a small but good book from the gym on outdoor climbing, sport and trad....the rock is quite different on the coast.....the gym is the best bet though, to meet people and for beta.

By The Hippy
From Boulder, Co
Mar 30, 2011

Make sure to check out Far North Climbing in Arcata - way, way better gym than the one at HSU. Also, the Humboldt Stone Monkeys (you can find them on facebook) is a cool group of local climbers that get out most weekends.

By J.J
Mar 30, 2011

Thanks everyone! I'm starting to get an idea of what's up there. I'll be living on-campus as a junior in August so if any of you need a cimbing partner let me know! I'll check out all the places you guys recommended.

JJ

By ShaunG
From Petaluma/SF, CA
Mar 30, 2011
First day on. This is what it's all about.

If you go there you will become very well aquainted with my friend Matt Deshazo- he is the owner of Far North Climbing gym in Arcata. Check out Lost Rocks(please tread carefully), Moonstone Beach, Trinity Aretes just to name a few.