climbing trips from FL.

By mcp
From tallahassee
Jan 22, 2013

looking for climbing partners, T.R. ,easy trad, easy/moderate sport. looking to climb harder this year. i'm in tallahassee fl. would like to rode trip to GA, TN, NC, frequntly and maybe backpack. i'm 59. age do's not matter,as long as your safe. mitch 850 345 6831

By Jon Powell
From LAWRENCEVILLE GEORGIA
Jan 23, 2013
stone depot

Summers a long time away but when you head up you can join me. I only lead sport routes but I'm more than willing to be the clean up man on trad routes and who knows by summer I might be leading trad

By mcp
From tallahassee
Jan 23, 2013

hey jon, i would like to join you this summer, thanks. do you do any winter climbing?

By Jon Powell
From LAWRENCEVILLE GEORGIA
Jan 23, 2013
stone depot

I do if its not to cold. Weather around here has been decent

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Jan 23, 2013
El Chorro

What is this talk of summer? You guys are talking about the same Georgia that I am right? Where it's a billion degrees and 1000% humidity from May to September?

By Dustin Drake
Jan 23, 2013

lol I was thinking the same thing. Summer time in the Southeast is gym/training season or traveling out west / north.

By mcp
From tallahassee
Jan 23, 2013

hi all, i'm looking to climb now, next week ,when ever, i'm coming from fl. so it do's take a little planning. mcp

By WadeM
Jan 23, 2013
Ultimate Squeeze

Im down in Orlando. I climb everything (trad, sport, boulder)! The longer the route the better in my opinion. Let me know if you want to climb

By Woodchuck ATC
Jan 23, 2013
Rock Wars, RRG, 2008

see you in early summer at the Red? It's usually not too bad in June, before the bugs and humidity hit for next 2 months.

By Br'er Rabbit
From The Briar Patch
Jan 24, 2013
'Bred en bawn in a brier-patch, Brer Fox--bred en bawn in a brier-patch!'

By Ryan Williams
From London (sort of)
Jan 25, 2013
El Chorro

BirminghamBen wrote:
The NC high country is fine in the Summer, especially if you are coming from Alabama, Georgia, or Tennessee's scorching temps and high humidity. From Florida, all the much better. Overnight lows in the mid sixties, even during the height of Summer....Manageable temps during the day if chasing shade. Laurel Knob is perfect for this. The Blue Ridge crags would also be nice. Whitesides is another valid option.

The high country yes, but I can't say the same for LK or any of the stuff in that part of the state. I've climbed on LK in Sept and by 3pm the rock was too hot to climb. I wouldn't even think of climbing there in summer - not during the day time anyway.

By Br'er Rabbit
From The Briar Patch
Jan 25, 2013
'Bred en bawn in a brier-patch, Brer Fox--bred en bawn in a brier-patch!'

Well, I guess hot is relative....and, yes, timing is important.

Dillard Canyon, for example, is shady for all but two hours of the day....Great face and crack lines abound. Hide in the rhodos for lunch, then swith to the other side of the canyon.

If you get in early enough to the main portion of LK, you can move along the main face in the shade for much of the morning. Take a long break, then start again in the afternoon. You are sort of relegated to staying lower on the main face as the upper part does get toasty but, with a breeze, I find it to be very manageable.

By Rich zz
From california
Jan 27, 2013

i'm moving to miramar in may. beginner, but looking to get out more.

By danymal
From Avon, CO
Jan 27, 2013
Shirttail

Hey mitch dont know if you've been to the tally rock gym but there are plenty of young guns and old trad masters there who'd love to get out and frequently do. I used to be one of them.