Climbing near Niagara falls?

By Keegan H
Mar 27, 2014

I'm getting married this summer and we've decided we're going to go to Niagara falls. I'm extremely new in the climbing world and don't have a whole lot of knowledge about climbing areas and was wondering if I could get some help locating the nearest top rope area to Niagara falls? I saw there are locations on the Canadian side for bouldering but that doesn't help my fiancee and I as we don't have crash pads. Any suggestions?

By Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Mar 27, 2014
Rumney

There's some ice in western NY. But I doubt those routes will be in by the summer. ;-) Sadly, no good rock for many many hours drive. Maybe Little Falls (past Utica heading east).

mountainproject.com/scripts/AreaMap?id=105800424

By Medic741
From Pittsford, New York
Mar 27, 2014
When I was a bum at Frey

Keene valley in the ADK makes a really great getaway with fantastic climbing. Hire a guide to do some beautiful multi pitches, it's really worth the drive and the ADK is just a beautiful spot with some really nice b an b's and camping!

By Martin le Roux
From Superior, CO
Mar 27, 2014
Stairway to Heaven

The Niagara Escarpment runs for several hundred miles through Southern Ontario, from Niagara Falls to to Lake Huron. There are many climbing areas along the way and most of them are good for top-roping. See www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/Canada/Ontario/. The nearest crags to Niagara Falls are in the Milton area W of Toronto (Mt Nemo, Buffalo Crag, Rattlesnake Point). Quality is okay. If you've got time for a 3-hour drive there's better-quality climbing at Metcalfe and Old Baldy. The best climbing is at Lion's Head but it's not good for top-roping.

By Kevin Heckeler
From Upstate New York
Mar 27, 2014
Rumney

Medic741 wrote:

Much nicer honeymoon overall.

By AThomas
Mar 28, 2014

If you're new to climbing, Rattlesnake Point and Buffalo Crag should be fine for a day or two of top roping -- if you're willing to drive an hour and a half to Milton.

Otherwise, find someone with a crash pad and go to the Glen!

Map and waiver/climbing permit info here: www.niagaraparks.com/niagara-falls-attractions/nature-activi>>>

By jaypg
From New England
Mar 28, 2014
Mammoth

Get a cheap hotel room, taco fold their mattress and go boulder. Ahhh days before crash pads!

By AThomas
Mar 28, 2014

Also, I haven't been there since I was a kid, but I've been told finding your way around the Glen can suck up a lot of time your first day out.