Climbing in June at Joshua Tree

By Xicot
Apr 28, 2013

Hi,

Anyone with experience climbing in this month?

By alleyehave
From San Diego, CA
Apr 28, 2013
Start of Pitch 3

I've done it, you seek shade and are typically done climbing by noon or earlier. You'll have the park to yourself at least :)

By Rob Selter
From running springs Ca
Apr 28, 2013
me

Your going to fry!
It's not that bad Climb tell 11 or so and after 3 it's great. I have had some wonderful summer days out there. If your in need of a partner I might be able to make it down, send me a P.M.

By Benjamin Chapman
From Small Town, USA
Apr 29, 2013
old 1/4" bolt.

Xicot.....you can climb in Joshua Tree in June/July. As previously stated, look for shady climbs, climb from 6AM to 11, take a break and crash a pool, then climb from 3PM to dark. Ask Todd Gordon. He claims he climbs in Joshua Tree year round.

By Choss Chasin'
From Torrance, CA
Apr 29, 2013
Black Mountain

I learned to lead trad in June and July at J-tree. Was nice to not look like a dumbass in front of people, haha. Hit it as early as you can and you can climb till 9 in the sun and till about 11 in the shade. At that point drink till 5 then climb some more!

By csproul
From Rancho Cordova, CA
Apr 29, 2013
Summit of Wolf's Head with Pingora in the background

I sure you could, but why would you do that when Tahquitz/Suicide is relatively close and much more pleasant that time of year?

By JCM
From Henderson, NV
Apr 29, 2013

csproul wrote:

+1. Couldn't have said it better myself.

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
Apr 29, 2013
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

Cause it can be a zoo....

JT in June works... its not always super hot, the biggest danger is running into buzzworms.

Stick to shade and shadey North faces.

Find a campsite thats in the shade.

Enjoy the solitute.

By Dave Von Behren
Apr 29, 2013

www.mountainproject.com/v/holcomb-valley-pinnacles/105805238

Holcomb is so much nicer than jt that time of year.

By Xicot
Apr 30, 2013

Thanks everyone for the replies! It sounds like basically all options are great!
(So jealous of Cali!)

Thanks!

By Rob Selter
From running springs Ca
Apr 30, 2013
me

Wow, I live 30 minutes from Holcomb and you can still find me in JT in the summer! Tahquitz is a zoo and an ordeal for one or two good pitches, Holcomb is nothing but jugs and shity cracks. Go to Josh, get up early and hit up the classics with no one around.

By toddgordon
From Joshua Tree, California
May 1, 2013

Climbing in late June is fun;...bouldering in any month is not good;.....leave the bouldering to the pad people and city folk. Go real rock climbing instead...June is fine...

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
May 1, 2013
...

"Ask Todd Gordon. He claims he climbs in Joshua Tree year round."

He does and so do MANY other people. It's fine during the heat of the summer. Just hunt for shade and almost ZERO crowds. Personally I find it to be a very enjoyable time of year.

By Matt N
From Santa Barbara, CA
May 1, 2013
OTL

^its official - winter is no longer Josh season. Everyone please take note for next year.

By Locker
From Yucca Valley, CA
May 1, 2013
...

I've even gone so far as to arrange a place for this coming July (JTree) for the reasons mentioned above.

www.rent29.com/

Of course, I've lived out there off and on for many years (Still own a home in Yucca Valley), thus fully understand how the summer conditions can be.

But DON'T be discouraged believing that climbing there in the summer is a no go, because it is! You just have to make some adjustments.

If you go in the morning, be prepared to be cooking before lunch. I always find that climbing later works better than morning climbing. Sleep as late as you can, climb until dark!

By Guy Keesee
From Moorpark, CA
May 2, 2013
Big Boulder, just a bit downhill from Temple of Kali. Alabama Hills, CA.

Rob, well put, but you forgot to add... Holcomb, with a bolt every 1/2 body lenght and no climb over 60 feet it has a real "Miniature Golfing" feel.....

By Chris Norwood
From San Diego, CA
May 2, 2013
Hobbit Roof

Rob Selter wrote:

^ this! (but we both know you can get more than 2 pitches in even fighting the Tahquitz "crowd"! :P )

By C.Cody
From Ventura,ca
May 11, 2013
whodunnit? I did ;) Tahquitz <br />

Night climbing is great in Jtree too!

By alleyehave
From San Diego, CA
May 11, 2013
Start of Pitch 3

Idyllwild is HORRIBLE that time of year. Please go to JTree :)

By Jeff Scofield
From Yorba Linda, CA
May 20, 2013
Spaghetti and Chili on the lieback!

Xicot wrote:
Hi, Because of the weather, I'm wondering if it's a good idea to climb/boulder in Joshua Tree in late June? Anyone with experience climbing in this month? Also, I'm looking for a climbing/bouldering partner(s) for June 30th and July 1st. Please drop a line if you are interested so we could figure out details.

You can hit me up in late June I'll climb with ya in Josh...I've already told Todd Gordon i'm looking for summer partners in Josh.

Jeff