Climbing in Bishop after the rain

By Amanda R.
From Venice, CA
Nov 16, 2011
We were planning on heading to Bishop to do some bouldering over Thanksgiving weekend. I've been stalking the weather reports and it is calling for rain on Thursday.

I know with sandstone it is best to wait a few days, but wasn't sure how long to wait for granite.

I know it depends on how much rain and the weather conditions that follow... I'm just looking for some pointers/rough time frames/advice.

Thanks!

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Nov 16, 2011
i may be wrong but isnt bishop bouldering mostly granite? You should be fine.

By Bryan G
From San Jose
Nov 16, 2011
Puffy jackets and Happy Boulders
Granite does not absorb water and therefore is not weakened by it. The Happies/Sads are volcanic tuff, which I don't think absorbs much water either. So as soon as the skies clear you should be good to go.

By Amanda R.
From Venice, CA
Nov 16, 2011
They are granite, I mostly climb sandstone and have gotten used to the wait for them to dry out, but wasn't sure about tougher rocks.

Thanks so much for your reply! :o)

By AndyMac
From Center, CO
Nov 16, 2011
Tuff does most definitely like to drink and is definitely weaker after moisture and all rock is weaker when moist. Tuff is just another type of granite.

By rock_fencer
From Columbia, SC
Nov 16, 2011
AndyMac wrote:

Tuff is another type of Igneous Rock. It is different from granite another type of igneous and correctly stated will soak up some water and be a little weaker. Though it is also dries out very fast and you will be fine.

By Adam Winters
From the Shire
Nov 16, 2011
Red-tail Hawk, Buttermilks
You don't have to wait. Get out there and pull

By Christopher M
From Santa Monica, CA
Nov 16, 2011
You will find that many of the pockets in the volcanic rock at Happies/Sads will be full of cold water though ;)

By ShaunG
From Petaluma/SF, CA
Nov 21, 2011
First day on. This is what it's all about.
Anyone going to Bishop today or tomorrow. I need a ride. I'm coming from the SF bay area. Get in contact with e ASAP please. (415)845-7315

-Shaun

By Chad_N
From SEKI, CA
Nov 21, 2011
topping out on Hamilton Dome with the Angel Wings in the background
In a light rain you could maybe climb at the Peabodys, Cave Boulder, Bowling Pin.

By Steve Powell
From Alhambra, California
Nov 21, 2011
was at the Happys last week. it raind all night on friday, but stopped around 4am. we let the rock dry out, and were climbing by about 11am on saturday

By James Barnett
From Bishop Ca.
Nov 22, 2011
Looks like it will be dry

forecast.weather.gov/MapClick....